Argyle fan here

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wow, Brucie is now the expert on all things TUFC after finally coming out of North Devon to watch a game :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

ArgyleForever wrote:That was our last league defeat and since then things have been on the up. 5 matches unbeaten, 2 wins and 3 draws.
Which is largely the same as our two wins, two draws and a defeat. To quantify this, take each team's league position (1-24) and allocate them a value accordingly. The lower the number, the harder the run was (The hardest possible 5 game run is obviously 1+2+3+4+5 = 15, the easiest is 24+23+22+21+20 = 110): So, we played teams with a value of 55, you played teams with a value of 99. Well done to you, but as much of an improvement as that is, I'd be absolutely livid if we took just 7 points from 15 against Aldershot, Rovers, Hereford, Bradford and Northampton Town.

ArgyleForever wrote: The team have showed incredible fight and spirit to get these results, especially to beat bristol rovers when 2 0 down at half time. Chadwick is the big man we have been lacking upfront, he works his socks off and wins nearly everything
We heard this from Rovers fans about Harrold, he didn't win a thing in 90 minutes against Robbo. Fight and spirit are fine, and again, congratulations must go to Fletcher and his team for managing to instil that in a decimated squad, but it'll only carry you so far, before talent and skill plays a factor. On the subject of Rovers, I read that it was the best 45 minutes PAFC have played for a number of years. If (and my goodness it's a big if) you do that again in a hurry, and for the whole 90 minutes, well, you'll deserve to win.
ArgyleForever wrote: I didn't hear many positive comments about Ashley Hemmings from you guys, but to me he looks like our best player. He is sublime going down the left wing, pacy and looks to be able to beat any defender, not scared to go into a challenge either, superb player sofare and a fan fav.
I really liked him when he was here, did well for us and I thought it was a shame that he went back. At his age, one would expect a big difference in quality over the course of a year, he will still be learning a great deal. You've got a real cracker on your hands, fight to keep him.
ArgyleForever wrote: Onismor Bhasera is a championship LB
Is this the same as your Championship goalkeeper who was made to look a right oaf as the ball sailed over his head and into the net? :~D If he is the massive black dude I watched for you against Swindon at your place, he is absolutely brilliant and looks totally out of place in your squad (in the nicest possible way). It'll take more than him though.
ArgyleForever wrote: Our real problems are in the centre of midfield
Then you are in trouble against Mansell and O'Kane. Those two have looked the equal of everyone in the division this year, and have been so much better than some that it was as if they were playing a different game altogether.

We will have to be better than we were against Oxford, and there is no doubt at all that PAFC are vastly improved over the side we walked past in November. My concerns for us are our obvious lack of fire power with Tai up front on his own. My positives for us are Billy Bodin, he really changed things when he replaced the frustratingly useless Ian Morris (frustrating because he can do it when he can be arsed) and our back line who, in the face of the strongest attack I have seen all year, never really looked in any danger of conceding against Swindon.
Positives for PAFC, lots to be proud of, on a good run and really turning things around (unless it's just a blip)/ Worries for them is their fitness, they wilted badly in the second half at Plainmoor, and suffered the same fate as Macclesfield, who did exactly the same. Lots of effort against Bristol Useless, small squad as it is, could be one very tired PAFC come the end of the match.

Of course, the above is meaningless really, since, writing a similar thing about Sunderland and Manchester City would produce a much more one sided report, and look what happened there today.

Good luck to the 22 men on the pitch and may the team who scores more goals win.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote: Which is largely the same as our two wins, two draws and a defeat. To quantify this, take each team's league position (1-24) and allocate them a value accordingly. The lower the number, the harder the run was (The hardest possible 5 game run is obviously 1+2+3+4+5 = 15, the easiest is 24+23+22+21+20 = 110): So, we played teams with a value of 55, you played teams with a value of 99. Well done to you, but as much of an improvement as that is, I'd be absolutely livid if we took just 7 points from 15 against Aldershot, Rovers, Hereford, Bradford and Northampton Town.

We heard this from Rovers fans about Harrold, he didn't win a thing in 90 minutes against Robbo. Fight and spirit are fine, and again, congratulations must go to Fletcher and his team for managing to instil that in a decimated squad, but it'll only carry you so far, before talent and skill plays a factor. On the subject of Rovers, I read that it was the best 45 minutes PAFC have played for a number of years. If (and my goodness it's a big if) you do that again in a hurry, and for the whole 90 minutes, well, you'll deserve to win.
I really liked him when he was here, did well for us and I thought it was a shame that he went back. At his age, one would expect a big difference in quality over the course of a year, he will still be learning a great deal. You've got a real cracker on your hands, fight to keep him.
Is this the same as your Championship goalkeeper who was made to look a right oaf as the ball sailed over his head and into the net? :~D If he is the massive black dude I watched for you against Swindon at your place, he is absolutely brilliant and looks totally out of place in your squad (in the nicest possible way). It'll take more than him though.
Then you are in trouble against Mansell and O'Kane. Those two have looked the equal of everyone in the division this year, and have been so much better than some that it was as if they were playing a different game altogether.

We will have to be better than we were against Oxford, and there is no doubt at all that PAFC are vastly improved over the side we walked past in November. My concerns for us are our obvious lack of fire power with Tai up front on his own. My positives for us are Billy Bodin, he really changed things when he replaced the frustratingly useless Ian Morris (frustrating because he can do it when he can be arsed) and our back line who, in the face of the strongest attack I have seen all year, never really looked in any danger of conceding against Swindon.
Positives for PAFC, lots to be proud of, on a good run and really turning things around (unless it's just a blip)/ Worries for them is their fitness, they wilted badly in the second half at Plainmoor, and suffered the same fate as Macclesfield, who did exactly the same. Lots of effort against Bristol Useless, small squad as it is, could be one very tired PAFC come the end of the match.

Of course, the above is meaningless really, since, writing a similar thing about Sunderland and Manchester City would produce a much more one sided report, and look what happened there today.

Good luck to the 22 men on the pitch and may the team who scores more goals win.

Matt.
I have to say I think that is a quality post, and I thank you for it.

Completely agree with your assesment of Chadwick. He may well be a decent player in the air and 'work hard', but the lofted ball forward really plays to Robbo's and Ellis' strengths. They both love to attack a good high ball if you get them in the right mood. And they will both definitely be up for the fight tomorrow.

We don't have a lot up front, but I don't exactly think the Argyle defence is great. Admittedly, it sounds like a good, albeit fortuitous, clean sheet against Alderhot, but if our mobile front three can move your defenders around, then gaps will open up and opportunities will follow, no doubt about that.

Looking forward to it, I think it will be an open game, and the first goal is crucial.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

I wondered how long it would be before we had a patronising cornish twunt on a fluffy little Torquay head patting mission. GAWS fan, take a look at the table. Your club are an embarrassment to football and should be expelled from the FL until you pay your bills. Come to that why don't our visiting fans offer .007p in the pound entrance. Any points you get are stolen from decent clubs (in the main) and their supporters. You deserve nothing but oblivion and I hope we play our part in sending you down!
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Ready to go, looking forward to the game now and a chance to end a 40 year memory of that 6-0 drubbing.

Bring it on !!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Any team (Argyle) that "relies" on Nick Chadwick - lately of .........er...Chester and Barrow really must be struggling and clutching at straws. And a correction......I speak as someone in the Navy...........Plymouth is NOT and NEVER has been a Garrison town. A Garrison would suggest Pongo's (Army) and Marines - albeit there is a Marines Base at Stonehouse. Plymouth is a Naval City (Plymouth -Pompey was always known as the Dockyard Derby). Its also a dump but that's another issue..............

Also, the term "Derby" - original came from the Earl of Derby - you DO NOT HAVE TO BE FROM THE SAME TOWN/CITY - It was the original term for a local game or race. On the Continent for example Barca - Real Madrid is known as a Derby as is Standard v Anderlecht; Liverpool - Man Utd etc...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

DTG wrote:I wondered how long it would be before we had a patronising cornish twunt on a fluffy little Torquay head patting mission. GAWS fan, take a look at the table. Your club are an embarrassment to football and should be expelled from the FL until you pay your bills. Come to that why don't our visiting fans offer .007p in the pound entrance. Any points you get are stolen from decent clubs (in the main) and their supporters. You deserve nothing but oblivion and I hope we play our part in sending you down!
I would echo this. I cannot abide the cheating, thieving, 'aren't we a big club' with it's nasty arrogant fanbase.

I have a bad feeling about today. We are a better team than them but can just see it going against us today. Imagine there will be a weak referee who will bow to hostile home crowd.

I also think it will be a case of 'next goal wins'. We're not the best at chasing a game. Can see it being 1-0 to whoever scores first.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

While I understand the point you make about stolen points and massive debt etc, and I do agree that vast snd unsustainable spending are destroying football, it does seem that is the modern way.

My nan wouldn't even borrow money to buy a house 80 years or so ago. If she couldn't afford sonething, she didn't buy it until she could.
For me, this is an unsustainable position in today's ultra capitalist set up, but the socio-economic argument is for another time. All football clubs are doing is replicating every day life in the 'buy now, pay later' culture. Imagine how few people would be suffering this 'recession' if they didn't owe money on credit cards and for hideous furniture from DFS which they bought 500 years ago. Again, same is true for football. The skill with running a football club is not to buy a L1 team to win L2, but to turn a L2 club into a L1 club through hard work and skill and a bit of luck.

Anyway, leaving for the Battle of Home Park in 20 minutes and I haven't got up yet, see you all soon.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Plymouth were in the first half against us the worse side to visit us in a loing time and we should have bben out of siught. Second half they looked one of the better sides. If you get their first half performance then i take a 3-1 win for Torquay.If you get their second half performance then possibly a 1-1 draw.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Brucie - we have 3 in midfield...

AF - it should be a very good game today. A draw would be a fair result, I'd say we're relatively evenly matched now. Also, take everything brucie says with a pinch of salt, I don't think he could even name a first XI...
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

What aload of tosh! How is a draw a fair result? We haven't even played yet and you're handing over points. Shame on you!
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

DTG wrote:What aload of tosh! How is a draw a fair result? We haven't even played yet and you're handing over points. Shame on you!
Don't worry, this is all hypothetical! I'm just covering my ar*e really, I'm expecting a win but so I don't get too disappointed with a draw.
Luke.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Guys. anyone providing updates today. haven't heard a thing.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Check the match day thread Gloster.
Luke.

Glostergull
Country Captain