Plymouth Argyle vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Excellent stuff, the ones near the end must be amazing ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Bloody hell - that was something else. My ears are still ringing. 1938 away fans, That was the best atmosphere I have ever seen at a Torquay match. went with my two sons,daughter,sons girlfriend who had never been to a football match before (christ knows what she thought of that) and my ex wifes sisters boyfriend.
As for the game - the first half seemed to be over in about five minutes. Looked all the world like a 0-0 draw to me.
But we came out for the second half and Plymouth were looking decidely ragged and before you could scratch your arse we were 2-0 up and bedlam ensued.
Unusual for me but didn't see who scored either or how the ball ended up in the net.
Plymouth had gone in and were looking like they were already relegated.
Typically we slackened off and they scored and we looked as though we might throw it away.
Unusually the last quarter of an hour flew by and only two minutes of injury time. Hemmings blasted over and it was game over.
Cue absolute delirium - if you were not there it is impossible to convey the noise level and volume of support.
Thought Atieno was excellent today.
Last edited by brucie on 03 Jan 2012, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Just got in. :clown: (D)

What a fantastic day I've had today. Thanks go to Southampton Gull and IJN :clap: :bow: :clap:

I've been to Plymouth many, many times over the years, on different days, at different times, for varied activities and functions. Today is the best day I've had in Plymouth since October 5th 1968.

I'll read the threads all the way through at sometime later. I'm off for me kip.

:devil: "I'll be back."
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Very happy after today, getting the double over them is amazing. I dont care if its the last time we do it, but nice to finally get something to cheer about over them.

If im honest, watching plymouth today i feel they will stay up. If they add few more to the squad then i have no doubts they will stay up. Im not bothered if they go down or not. If we fall short of the play offs then i wouldnt mind having exeter and plymouth in the same league.

Was always going to be a tough game and we gave a decent performence and happy about that, the support from the fellow gulls was class. Out sang there 8 /9 thousand. Hope mr bodin will return but if he doesnt, then hes left with one important goal in the history of our club.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

These videos are atrocious; made me feel seasick. Had you been drinking, or do you not know to keep the camera still, thereby ensuring a sharp, clean, viewable image? Just a few marks for effort I suppose, well done and thanks for that. Mind you, I don't suppose I would have done much better, amidst all the excitement..
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Probably not much else to be said, fantastic day, great result (more than I'd hoped for) and at times a really fine performance. For 20mins of the 2nd half we'd have destroyed any team in this league. Some of the passing and moving and at pace was lovely. If Stevens had scored after that flowing move just after the 1st goal I think I might have got a full on boner.

1st half was a bit of a chess match with both teams having a look at each other and a total contrast in styles was evident early on. We're not Barcelona by any means but we do at least TRY and play the game how I perceive to be 'the right way'. At times it's to our own detriment and we almost got caught out by being a bit lax and clumsy with some of our passes and decision making. We had 2 headers from corners that went close but not too much 1st half. Argyle bizarrely had a shoot on sight policy going on and at least 3 of their 5 or 6 'on target' shots were efforts from a good 35 yards that never troubled Olejnik.

2nd half was when we kicked into gear, Eunan (who in the first half had shown signs of what was to come with some lovely play including one move which left two players for dead) just started pulling the strings. Getting on the ball, releasing the wingers numerous times as well as being a threat himself. Ball in the box, headed back by Robbo and after a scramble where I thought the chance had gone, Bodin hooked it in on the bounce, cue delirium.

Like already mentioned soon after a flowing move involving O'Kane, Lathrope, Bodin and eventually Stevens ended with the latter shooting just wide. Not to worry, soon after O Kane was allowed space down the left, jinked past his man cut the ball back to Mansell who rifled in the 2nd. Again sublime play, and at that point I thought we'd go on and really embarrass them.

I couldn't see Argyle scoring, they played a very direct style into a strong wind that up to that point hadn't caused us any problems. Out of nowhere they scored, a ball in the box was met at the far post and a cushioned header across goal allowed for a simple headed finish. It sprung Argyle into life and only some erratic finishing and a few last ditch blocks and headers got us out of there with the win, it would have been a travesty had we not won it. Argyle were in the ascendancy for the last 10-15minutes but Olejnik didn't have to produce anything spectacular and I always felt we were in control of the game.

I thought Argyle were poor but at least for their fans they could see they didn't give up, that will stand them in good stead for the rest of the season, and I have no doubt they will add to their squad very soon to make sure they don't go down. I actually hope they survive. I'd sooner be playing them with night on 2000 Gulls fans, a crowd of 12,000 than playing Morecambe or some other horrid northern town.

Great result and once again Eunan highlighted for me that he's not only far too good for us but he's far too good for this division at times.
Last edited by royalgull on 03 Jan 2012, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:These videos are atrocious; made me feel seasick. Had you been drinking, or do you not know to keep the camera still, thereby ensuring a sharp, clean, viewable image? Just a few marks for effort I suppose, well done and thanks for that. Mind you, I don't suppose I would have done much better, amidst all the excitement..

Yes I can hold a camera still, but when the atmosphere is that good and it's against Argyle away, I can't help myself but joining in with the bouncing and singing to create a belting atmosphere!

Oh BTW here is another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIEy1opT ... e=youtu.be
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

"Great result and once again Eunan highlighted for me that he's not only far too good for us but he's far too good for this division at times."

No he is bloody useless. Why would any other club want a player like him. He will just have to stay here until he learns how to play the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-) ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Only regret for me was not being able to listen to that **** moron Gordon Sparkes, He is a wanker. He did the interview with Fletcher after the game and I honestly thought the knobber was going to start crying. Brilliant.
Last edited by brucie on 03 Jan 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Agreed Brucie I was hoping to hear him blubber....he was bloody close to it ! Oh the shame of the mighty Argyle losing to a pub team like Torquay !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

That was incredible. Never been so proud to be a Torquay Fan.

Favourite chant: Argyle til July.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Finally I've uploaded all the videos from the Argyle game! 7 in total! That means the TorquayFans.com youtube account has a grand total of 29 videos uploaded! :)

Here's number 7!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l85gf85 ... e=youtu.be
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

The Yellow Army from the stand. Even on the half-way line our support was louder and seemed non-stop, whereas the only real noise from their lot came after the goal and soon petered out to a low nothing!! It was awesome to listen to. Better than Shrewsbury away? Definately.

Protocol dictated that where we sat meant polite handclapping when the goals went in... yea right!! We went ballistic!!

Last edited by budleigh on 03 Jan 2012, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.