A turning point?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

A turning point?

Post by tktufc91 »

Brilliant result tonight, definitely did not see that coming. Hopefully that will prove a turning point in our season.

Credit to Lingy, whatever he said before the game, the lads responded brilliantly to the tonking at Southend.

Now lets get behind the lads once more and get ourselves up that table.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

I hope so!!! Great result and a great morale booster!!! Plymuff stuffed again at Oxford, just down the road from me. :clap: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: COYYs
Oblivion!!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Over the last ten days or so , i have personaly said along with a few others dont write of our team or players as not good enough just yet, also said our team had shown glimpses of being very capable of winning games, and how a result or two could change the picture very quickly.

That said , iam not sure this is the turning point, the team need to follow up this with a result Saturday and then we are the right path. :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A welcome win but a turning point? - a bit early to say that. Maybe luckily we faced a team who it seems have a worse defence than us. Still 1-0 4-0 0r 10-0 the most important thing was to get the three points. Its another big game on saturday, with Hereford showing improved form that game may well prove more enlightenig.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

There are plenty of worse sides than us this year in League 2. Had to chuckle at Matt's thread about Argyle the other day, they are hopeless.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You say that Royal, but the Plymouth I saw were pretty good. Don't get me wrong, they weren't world beaters, but they would have given us a seeing to the way we had been playing the last few weeks IF we had played like we did against Bradford or Southend or Cheltenham or a number of others and they played like they did against Swindon.

Regards turning point, no, not this one game. Don't get me wrong, it was infinitely better than the absolute tripe we have been serving up, but we MUST follow it up with a similar result against Hereford.
That said, Mark Ellis was a revelation tonight. They were not a bad side, they posed a threat all night, if never for an extended period, and Mark (alongside the others) dealt with everything he was asked to do admirably.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

It wasn't a pop at you mate, thing is if you watch one side on any given day and they play well you think 'they are better than us' because you see us all the time good and bad and your view of them as a side is that one game. Argyle are a bunch of kids and they will get trounced most weeks.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Quite so Royal, absolutely right, particularly this year, anyone really can beat anyone. I know you weren't having a go at me, but since they closed the local blind school, my chances of having children have diminished severely, so I have to be protective over my threads on here instead.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

royalgull wrote:There are plenty of worse sides than us this year in League 2. Had to chuckle at Matt's thread about Argyle the other day, they are hopeless.

They played very well in the game against Swindon, and , although not doing enough to win the match, were very unlucky to not pick up 1 point. Carl Fletcher was quoted as saying "This was our best performance of the season, so far". Matt & I can only go on what we saw, and that was a decent enough performance. Having said that, I still think they will be playing in the BSP next season (Hopefully along with the Gas) :lol:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Best performance of the season...........and they still lost. Tells you all you need to know about Argyle.

'Aye....we're doomed'
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Really good last hour yesterday. Wimbledon were a funny team as initially they looked very good going forward and I felt our 3 first half goals were almost the result of counter-attacking football (of which there is nothing wrong at all...in fact I'm all in favour of it).

I don't think though that our defence really got especially tested but despite saying that, I thought Brian Saah played well. I am still of the view that he is being unfairly singled out for stick because of the fact he is not Guy Branston rather than his performances. He reminds me - in the way he plays, and is demeanour on the pitch - of Phil Lloyd, who essentially you never noticed. A more recent comparison may be Jamie Robinson. The sort of centre-halfs you never noticed but never did much wrong and to be honest, I don't think it is Saah who is making endless errors.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Agree with Hector. Too many get on his back for no reason. Yet "popside favourites" can have poor games and no-one says a word...
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totaly agree F/J and Hector, i personaly do atleast try to be fair, Saah was awful against Gillingham, last night had a good game.

Ellis i thought was superb last night, however has had a few shockers, yet according to some, "there is only one Mark Ellis"
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

After last night's superb 4-0 result, only one team has scored more League 2 goals at home than us this season . . . . and that team sits on top of the table.

Only one ground in League 2 this season has seen more League 2 goals than Plainmoor . . . and the team that plays at that ground got tanked last night at TQ1.

If it's the entertainment of goals you're after then Plainmoor is the place to be. So why are attendances this season so low ?

All things considered (from the end of last season), it must be the recession, meaning fewer people have the money to attend.

Any other reason(s) ? :| :rofl: :nod: ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Enormous credit must go to the players and to Martin for last nights result. It was a welcome relief and off the back of some absolutely horrendous performances was desperately needed. I'm not quite in the Brucie camp just yet but i have to see what result we get against Hereford as well as seeing what our performance and attitude is like at Crewe before i decide that may have turned a corner. Our away results of late have been shocking and the levels of application from the players in these games have been pretty much criminal, lacking creativity, positivity and effort. Away seems to be more problematic than home for me so when i go to Crewe i want to see a good, positive performance with plenty of effort. If we lose the game then fine. I'll only come on here after defeat slating the players if we don't compete and lack ideas. A good attacking show against the Railwaymen is probably more important to me than the result as it will give me confidence that we can take the game to teams away from home, compete and not just play with hope that we don't concede. A top drawer performance away from home is well overdue and i will wait and see to see if the lads are capable of delivering one. At the end of the day we have stopped the rot and, although i can't comment on the performance last night as i wasn't there, i can praise the lads for digging in and giving it a go. To get 4 goals in a game must indicate that we weren't intent on settling for 1 and kept pressing for more which will give everybody confidence. If we don't beat Hereford then it will be disappointing but so long as we get a draw and play ok i'll be happy. Again, for me the turning point could be after the Crewe game. I do think we will stay up because i think we will accumulate more points than Barnet and Plymouth who in my view will drop. I predicted Barnet and Macc before the season started so one out of two ain't bad! I expect Hereford to pull away for some reason but make no mistke we are in for a battle where every point must be worked for. Well done Martin and the boys for giving the yellow army something to shout about and hope it continues at the weekend.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.