Grandstand update

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gullscorer wrote:Could add another 1000 to the capacity by eventually putting seats/terracing in the corners. :nod:
Aye, rounded like a big fat rotund arse. :-D

I've grown up with the saying, "round of the corners and elongate the circles".

Geometry wos knot mi beest supjekt at skool. Nora was Engleesh. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Supposedly, our current capacity is around the 5,000 mark.

If this is correct, then an extra 1,750 should take us to a total of 6,750.

Highlighted by the Swindon game, I don't know about anyone else, but I was pretty cramped in the Popside while the Family Stand was sold out and the Away end was full to the brim too. Could we realistically get another 1,000 people into the stadium?

This is a bit worrying really as if we can't hit the capacity without it being REALLY uncomfortable, should we just scrub off 1,000 from the capacity from the outset and stop fooling ourselves?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I think this shows how unused we have become to large crowds. I remember being in crowds of 18,000 and, I think, 21,000 in Plainmoor in the good old days and that was truly uncomfortable.

The popside was bigger then, the mini stand probably had a bigger capacity than the current family stand and, of course, the grandstand was full length but the away end was much smaller than now. Nevertheless you could only get those numbers by really jamming people in in a way that health and safety would not allow nowadays.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

cambgull wrote:Supposedly, our current capacity is around the 5,000 mark.

If this is correct, then an extra 1,750 should take us to a total of 6,750.

Highlighted by the Swindon game, I don't know about anyone else, but I was pretty cramped in the Popside while the Family Stand was sold out and the Away end was full to the brim too. Could we realistically get another 1,000 people into the stadium?

This is a bit worrying really as if we can't hit the capacity without it being REALLY uncomfortable, should we just scrub off 1,000 from the capacity from the outset and stop fooling ourselves?!
Dont know where you were standing but it certainly wasnt jammed at the Ellacombe end of the pop side in the 1st half. It got fuller in the 2nd half as it always does when we're attacking that end but thats down to people moving at half time, leaving the resultant space down towards the Babbacombe end.
Arse! Drink!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The builders have been back a fortnight.

Is the steelwork up yet ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
BTownGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by BTownGull »

No, not yet. According to the herald opco are "well into the job of laying the foundations". I'm no expert but I think it will be a while before any structure goes up as a lot of ground level work needs to be done first.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Anyone got any new piccies of how our Bench is progressing. I can't seem to find any on this site anywere else or am I being a bit thick. No Please don't answer that!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Nothing much to see to be honest. The groundworks are well underway - the footings are in but there is nothing as such above ground level! I understand that the plan is that by the first week in February we should start to see the structure begin to take shape.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

CP Gull wrote:Nothing much to see to be honest. The groundworks are well underway - the footings are in but there is nothing as such above ground level! I understand that the plan is that by the first week in February we should start to see the structure begin to take shape.
Can I assume that the footings have been suitably strengthened by the addition Of Chris Roberts in person. he should fill the footings quite well. for all he did to our club

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Glostergull wrote: Can I assume that the footings have been suitably strengthened by the addition Of Chris Roberts in person. he should fill the footings quite well. for all he did to our club
I'd like to think Mr Roberts will take his place in Torquay history by being used as the foundation for a new stadium, whenever the club build one. We'll obviously forget the brutal murder but the irony will be wonderful.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

New photographs on the Official Site now.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Thanks Andrew. I assume Diamondgirl has just rushed down to pose with the cement mixer having just buried Messrs Roberts and Bartlett in tandem in the footings lol :lol:

A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

I couldn't possibly comment !!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Just had a quick look at pictures. Good to see real progress being made. Not just the Concrete laid but the anchors in for steelwork. I also noticed pictures no. 8 and the last one. anyone like to guess a title for each
I can think of a couple.

No.8 Get in there. Your not coming up any more!

Last picture. tell Christine. One of these should do for Bartlett. The bigger one over there for Roberts.