'Gulls On Tour' day?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

It is hard to manufacture a specific tour day IMHO.

They happen automatically because of the circumstances at the time whether that be league position, travel distance, local rivalry, long distance rivalry, weasely ex-manager, fat cheating manager and obnoxious sidekick etc etc.

Gargoyle will be one. Bristol Rovers has already happened (and boy was it good!).
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

You shouldn't assume (like TV commentators) that all the away following has made the journey from that team's home town. I would guess that a large proportion of any away following are exiles who live in that general area. So any match in the SE area will attract fans who now live in London and so on.

If you're looking for a game to target, what about Oxford on Easter Monday?

3pm kick off; school holidays; good for travel from the midlands and the home counties; decent ground (well 3 sides anyway). A yellow day wouldn't work though unfortunately, but we could have a 'black' day. As it's 5 games from the end of the season, black might be more appropriate anyway, the way we're playing, we could be doomed .......
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Oxford is agood choice travel wise.

We doubly pissed them off there last season, not only winning but due to them being in blue and yellw stripes we played in all yellow :na:

They werent happy on their forums after that
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I would start with Plymouth away, target 1500, if we as fans can not get 1500 to make the 30 minute trip to Plymouth then you will know trying it for Oxford will be a waste of time.

The Gas took 1600 plus i think to Oxford, i can not see us doing that, however 800 would be a good marker for us, as said though try Plymouth first.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Exactly, Dave. 800 would be cracking for somewhere like Oxford. It seems the perfect choice for me; bank holiday, no school, in spring, nice ground, fairly easy to get to, able capacity and we have a good record there!
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

yeah, i'll definitely be at the oxford game. always a good atmosphere, and we've had some cracking games there in last few seasons. gets my vote.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So the general consensus on here is for us to try and get the Plymouth game 'advertised' in the programme or on the OS perhaps, as a Gulls On Tour day? Then if it works, we'll do Oxford also..?

2 a season would be quite good, and I feel if they do work, it'll help boost our already well-respected away followings and of course it'll help the players on the pitch by seeing larger numbers of fans..
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

forevertufc wrote:The Gas took 1600 plus i think to Oxford, i can not see us doing that, however 800 would be a good marker for us, as said though try Plymouth first.
I agree! :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep and the irony for me is, easter Monday is a work day :'( , i think i will step aside now and let those who go regularly to away decise on this, and if you guys choose Oxford i will have prey on my holiday form :nod:

Still would try Plymouth aswell though, yes it is a short trip , however would be great to turn that into a home match.

Edit , thinking about it, Plymouth /Oxford looks after locals and exiles alike.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Bump.

Plymouth and/or Oxford? Personally hoping to go to both so it doesn't effect me, but it'd be great it we see 1500 Gulls at Argyle and 500+ at Oxford..
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

Ill be going to both Oxford is close to Uni and Plymouths in the hols so BOOM! Massively enjoyed the oxford game last season! And so looking forward to a league devon derby! Ill sadly be cheering from my comp saturday week!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

So the 2 games you want to do the Gulls Away Day is the 2 days when we are bound to take a few anyway and make some noise whilst we are there?

If you are going to ask people to make a "Special Trip" to a club where we want to gain something, then it is Crawley for me every time. They have stung us too many times in recent times, and we need to take something back from them. I can get the drum into Crawley (it's not allowed in at Oxford) and it isn't a bad ground, it is close enough to London and the South Coast for the Southern contigent of exiles and lastly it is near Gatwick for those who want to travel from afar.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

I agree that Plymouth shouldnt even be mentioned as we will take a big contingent there even if we were doing crap. Oxford would seem the best place for exiles especially northern ones. Crawley is a pain in the arse (in more ways than one!!) to get to from down here, even though its in the south east. The journey just seems to go on and on. Plus you just know that if Steve Evans hears that hundreds of Torquay fans are coming he will make sure we probably go home empty handed.

I know you cant get the drum into Oxford but having been there plenty of times we have made a real noise with 300-400. With getting on for double that it would be very good and its a much better view there then behind the goal at Crawley.

By the way Paul you do a fantastic job with the drum and its well appreciated!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Do we want me to have a word with the club (Tim, the programme man) and see if we can get this in the programme and announced at the home games between now and then?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

We always have a great turnout at Oxford (considering we haven't had a 3pm kick off there for a few seasons now). If we are going to get a 3pm KO at Easter and it is easier for the Northern contingent to travel to then lets pick on that game. Get as many flags, banners and yellow wigs as we can there and make it a home away from home game. The only issue I do have is Oxford are in yellow :(