'Gulls On Tour' day?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

'Gulls On Tour' day?

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Not my idea, but I see on the Bristol Rovers forum that they have this sort of thing. I thought it was a good idea, and was wondering if people thought it would work with us? Rovers did it for the Oxford game on Saturday and had nearly 1700 there, which is pretty good going, to be honest.

So yeah, I know it's basically stealing their idea (we can think of a different name for it :-D ), but would it work?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just seen that they aren't the only club doing it, so we haven't taken it from them, really.. :-D
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

I saw this too. Stealing? Not like they have robbed us before eh. I think its a great idea to encourage everyone together taking as many flags ect. to the game. Worth a go!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Its a great idea Nick but we will never be able to generate that number of participants. Take the Rovers away game, we took what?, about 750 fans? Shrewsbury last year in the playoffs, 800? Each away game is at the least a 4 hour round trip and that I am sure puts a lot of people off. Asking 1700 to do an away game is basically asking the entirety of an average plainmoor home gate to travel, whereas for Rovers its only a quarter of their home attendace, or less! Plus it was a short journey for them too!

Our best chance of doing something similar would be at Home Park, and even then with it being around the holiday season it may not be so popular. Generally whenever the away support is decent in number we normally make a racket anyway. Easier to embrace each away game as it comes and try and create a decent atmosphere at each one, as opposed to target one special game i would say.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Definately wasn't expecting us to take 1700 anywhere, Ben, don't worry! But we could start it off on a lesser level - for example, aim to start taking 500 or so to places, then build on it. As you rightly say, we don't have anywhere near the fanbase as Rovers, but away from home we have a good set of fans (usually) and if we could improve the numbers then lets do it, I say.

Again, though, you're right that our best chance of this would be at Argyle, and even though it is over New Year, I still hope for/expect 1500 to go to that - or am I being far too ambitious?!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

Surely it would just feel like any other away day if we took 500 mate? To make it feel like a 'special day' on tour we would have to really push the boat out. I do believe this is very likely against Argyle, as good a chance as we will ever have to go down there and wipe their noses in it. We played them on Boxing day 10 years ago and took well over 1000, if we can advertise it about plainmoor {in TQ1?} then i reckon we could do the same!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

We've only taken one 500+ following this year, so it wouldn't feel like a 'normal' away game, IMO. Yeah, it wouldn't be special as such, but it'd be better. For example, when we took 500/600 to Burton last year was surprisingly good.

This year is my first Green-Yellow competitive derby (only seen friendlies) so I'm buzzing, and hoping that it'll be a special day.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

Fair points made Nick, but again Burton was on a bank holiday Monday in the midst of a massive promotion push, bit harder to attract the masses this season methinks, but definitely worth a go. Burton, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury last season, and Bristol and Aldershot this year were all class atmospheres. Bigger following, better atmospheres for sure, lets give it our best shot.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Granted, that's true. Still, if theres enough interest and it gets a mention in the programme, on the OS, after we've settled on a game of course, then it could be good.

Looking at the fixtures, standout ones for me are Argyle on NY, Burton in mid-March (fairly easy access via train?) or Oxford on Easter Monday.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Accrington away. This game NEEDS an atmosphere! Only kidding, you've got to be insane to go there again if you've already sampled it (as i have).What about Port Vale? We could get a cracking crowd into Vale Park.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

austrianandygull wrote:Accrington away. This game NEEDS an atmosphere! Only kidding, you've got to be insane to go there again if you've already sampled it (as i have).What about Port Vale? We could get a cracking crowd into Vale Park.
I've done the Accy trip! Lost 1-0 a miserable day!

I agree Andy, I think Port Vale would be a fantastic ground to do a 'Gulls on Tour' day! I remember going to Port Vale in the 2004/05 season and if my memory is correct I think quite a few fans turned up for that game, and decent atmosphere was created.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Cheltenham would have been perfect for this but again we are playing them midweek and apart from Argyle, Swindon would be best but thats a midweek. Oxford isnt until the end of the season and will be weird going there during the day, virtually all outr visits to the Kassam are midweeks.

Crawley? Sorry silly idea.... :lol:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: I've done the Accy trip! Lost 1-0 a miserable day!

I agree Andy, I think Port Vale would be a fantastic ground to do a 'Gulls on Tour' day! I remember going to Port Vale in the 2004/05 season and if my memory is correct I think quite a few fans turned up for that game, and decent atmosphere was created.
Yep, thats the game i went to. Bloody awful game, down to ten men at half time and a bloody awful place all round. I won't be going there again.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Get it advertised for Argyle I reckon. Could be the highlight of the season. Got to aim to take around 1500 down there.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I've also done the Accrington trip, and it was the one we lost 1-0. Rain all game, and a 90th minute winner for them, brilliant. Remember it well as it was the first time I aired my drum at an away game.

Port Vale is an okay ground, but it's a horrible place to go, which will put alot of people off going there. I won't be going there again anytime soon, I don't think, as it really was grim.

I only pinpointed Burton & Oxford because they both have able capacities (as said above we aren't going to be taking 1500 anytime soon, except hopefully Argyle), decent grounds, fairly easyish to get to from all around the country?

If people are interested, I'd love for this to take off at a game sometime this season, but obviously we need to decide on one first!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Burton would be perfect for me as i can be there in less than an hour. Hopefully you guys will pick Burton but if not i'll try and get there regardless.