Torquay United v Weston Super Mare Mon 1st

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Probably found a middle ground of fighting spirit today - not like Hampton but not has bad as Yeovil

Ash and McGavin should have a look at themselves if they think that was good enough today - the substitutions were correct - but needed to happen earlier

They both should not start the next game

Jude-boyd - thank god for that man a fully deserved MoTM - that point is down to him!
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

I will say if we don’t go down I will be very surprised! Outplayed EVERY week !
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

RedGull1902 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:59 I will say if we don’t go down I will be very surprised! Outplayed EVERY week !
pointless post, like most of your recent ones

bit like when the morons in the middle wanted to start a "2-0 up and we fk it up chant" thankfully told to shut up

You think that helps, give your head a wobble
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Thanks Happy torq I really meant Marshall !!

Well it is April 1st.... well spotted !!!!
MoxGull2502
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MoxGull2502 »

How many times have we thrown it away.
WSM better footballing side and they deserved their point.
Once again Ash non existent and summed up when a loanee defender weighs in with 2 goals. AJB Man Of the Match with ease, shows some fight unlike many others.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

If any 3-3 draw could be considered dire,this was dire and us only playing with ten on the park because Mcgavin should not ever wear the shirt, how he lasted until the 60 minute is beyond me.I think he was only subbed because his mum was shouting at downes that she did not want her son playing with the rough boys and he had to come home for his tea. I just listened to downes post match and I expected him to say that Mcgavin had a twinge, but you have to run around to twinge anything.
At 2-0 nil after 15 minutes and cruising we went into Torquay default mode and started defending deep and allowing WSM to do what they wanted and they came at us relentlesslly, they were stronger into the tackle and wanted the result more, our midfield was stretched to breaking, oddly that all changed second half when lapslie took mcgavins position and boyd moved into midfield. But why did we have to wait until the 78th minute to bring on someone who could actually hold he ball up. I think lapslie's booking means he is up to suspension level so may not see him for the next match.
I will reluctantly take the point, but we can not rely on other teams to do us a favour every week, it will come back to bite us ,our physio needs to earn his wages this week and get dawson and Jarvis back pretty damn smartish unless off course they are off negotiating their post torquay contracts.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Who came on in the 78th minute who could hold the ball up?!

Can’t run, jump, pass or hold the ball up.

I do wonder with Jarvis if he’s off (Yeovil) and they don’t want him injured.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:01 If any 3-3 draw could be considered dire,this was dire and us only playing with ten on the park because Mcgavin should not ever wear the shirt, how he lasted until the 60 minute is beyond me.I think he was only subbed because his mum was shouting at downes that she did not want her son playing with the rough boys and he had to come home for his tea. I just listened to downes post match and I expected him to say that Mcgavin had a twinge, but you have to run around to twinge anything.
Mcgavin has the talent to play at a significantly higher level. He can shoot, pick a pass long or short and ease on the ball rare at this level.
But unless he imposes himself on games, runs, tackles and tracks back more he'll never fulfil the talent.
Perhaps he needs a different coach to work on his overall game.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:06 pointless post, like most of your recent ones

bit like when the morons in the middle wanted to start a "2-0 up and we fk it up chant" thankfully told to shut up

You think that helps, give your head a wobble
Idiots, had to have a word myself. Seriously what is the point? We’re shite and we know it, but it’s about survival, we have what we have just get behind them because none of them will be here next year.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Side note, the drummer needs to simplify those beats if he has trouble playing them, despite his best efforts just keep it simple.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

standupsitdown wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:51 Mcgavin has the talent to play at a significantly higher level. He can shoot, pick a pass long or short and ease on the ball rare at this level.
But unless he imposes himself on games, runs, tackles and tracks back more he'll never fulfil the talent.
Perhaps he needs a different coach to work on his overall game.
Technically yes, but tackling and running are key parts of the game so he’s ultimately crap.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Admiral wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:32 Side note, the drummer needs to simplify those beats if he has trouble playing them, despite his best efforts just keep it simple.
Spent too much of the season persevering with a 3 5 2 rhythm when 4 4 2 was an easier option.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

At the start of the game I was impressed with our energy, pressing and willingness to keep the ball on the deck and we were rewarded by two goals courtesy of a sparkling first 20 minutes from Stobbs.

But the first 20 was as good as it got because for the next hour we were dreadful - two goals conceded, 2 clearances off the line from Moxey and two excellent saves from Halstead as Weston repeatedly tore our defence apart. We gave up playing football and resorted to hoofball with Weston making our midfield - especially McGavin until subbed - look pedestrian.

We woke up for the final 10 to get a fortuitous lead but then promptly threw it away again. Although Stobbs nearly won it in injury time when he hit the bar from long range that would have been a travesty had it gone in.

Overall we had 12 attempts, 7 on target and the 3 goals but we had almost no attempts during the dreadful middle hour when we looked clueless.

Looks like we will need other results to go our way for the rest of the season because this lot look incapable of securing a win.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Admiral wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:34 Technically yes, but tackling and running are key parts of the game so he’s ultimately crap.
I agree he has talent but no aptitude for the pro game, tacking, running back, heading the ball are all for lesser mortals, I watched him yesterday for the 60 minute he gave us the benefit of his presence, he was perptetually looking down, as if he wanted to be anywhere other than at Plainmoor,
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I feel for Ash this season. I think he would be much better working in a front 2 off of another striker, as I am sure was the plan with Jarvis, bit it hasn't worked out that way. He is not a lone striker, but thats the role he is being asked to play.

Usually runs a lot and works hard, though that seemed below his normal level yesterday. One moment of quality to bring the ball under control in the build up to the second goal, but other than that, he didnt add much yesterday.