Tonbridge Angels v Torquay United, March 16 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Tonbridge Angels v Torquay United, March 16 3pm

Post by United62 »

Only a win will do.

End of.

Angels 1 Torquay 2
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

time to shake up the team with what we've got

Collins / Ash / Tomlinson unfortunately were weak and need dropping from Tuesday - WJD / Duane / Marshall to come in

Jarvis needs help, we saw the best of him when he had Nouble to help hold the ball up, start DAA and then bring Ash on when he tires

Lapslie also needs to start

Time to scrap, fight and start winning the physical battle of games
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

1-1
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

A reminder for anyone travelling that the M25 is closed east of the M3 junction this weekend. The diversion will add a lot of time to journeys - as will alternative routes from Torquay.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

2-2
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

standupsitdown wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 13:19 A reminder for anyone travelling that the M25 is closed east of the M3 junction this weekend. The diversion will add a lot of time to journeys - as will alternative routes from Torquay.
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... nction-10/

Good luck with that!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 13:11 time to shake up the team with what we've got

Collins / Ash / Tomlinson unfortunately were weak and need dropping from Tuesday - WJD / Duane / Marshall to come in

Jarvis needs help, we saw the best of him when he had Nouble to help hold the ball up, start DAA and then bring Ash on when he tires

Lapslie also needs to start

Time to scrap, fight and start winning the physical battle of games
Totally agree, although dawson cannot manage more that 60 minutes and I am not sure lapslie has 90 minutes in him, Hall seems to prefer his touchline tracksuit more than getting dirty on the pitch, because lets be honest we cannot manage a team of stellar performers without a manager and an assistant, if we see him in studs again this season I will be surprised. More inportantly the very last thing we need is not having a choice but to play collins and the liability that is tomlinson for the last 9 matches because others are injured.
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

2-1 Angels.
Rio Doherty
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: The pub

Post by Rio Doherty »

Tonbridge Angels 2-1 Torquay United.
Chester FC supporter and volunteer with a soft spot for Torquay
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

For those of you travelling up to Tonbridge and haven’t been to the ground before:

Parking: Large free car park right outside the ground but fills up pretty quick on match days this season due to the increase in attendances at Longmead. If the car park is full, there is plenty of street parking in the local area.

Train: If you’re travelling by train, the ground is about a 20-30 minute walk up through the main high street (as you turn left out of the station) and up Shipbourne Road. You’ll walk over one roundabout and then have a Shell petrol station on your left and The Royal Oak pub next door. At the next roundabout, turn left down Darenth Avenue and the ground is at the bottom of the road through the opened car park barrier.

Pubs: As mentioned above, the Royal Oak is possibly the nearest watering hole (I don't normally drink in Tonbridge so there might be somewhere closer). The club itself does have a clubhouse and a marquee selling alcohol which normally welcomes away fans – but after the Angels’ visit to Plainmoor where the majority were barred from entry to Boots and Laces, the locals might not be too happy about you being in there. If you fancy a coffee before the game Upz and Downz Coffee Shop is located outside the ground right next to the main turnstiles.

The pitch: plastic

Facilities: ‘Fries Like An Angel’ and 2-3 snack/drink bars situated around the ground.

And a word of caution: Angels' fans do like to do the traditional non-league thing and swap ends at half time (which I 100% agree with) so don't be surprised if the stewards/security ask you to move at half-time.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

United62 wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 13:54
And a word of caution: Angels' fans do like to do the traditional non-league thing and swap ends at half time (which I 100% agree with) so don't be surprised if the stewards/security ask you to move at half-time.
We didn't move at half time last time. The locals moaned a bit.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

1-2
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

standupsitdown wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 14:19 We didn't move at half time last time. The locals moaned a bit.
The crowd that day was just a tad over 700 and if I recall not that many made the trip up from the 'Bay... c.70-100?

The Angels' attendances this season have been around the 1,100 mark on average and, at a guess, Saturday's attendance will top that. Also, for some reason this season, there seems to a small element who seem intent on causing trouble at Longmead and there were a few unwanted scenes behind one of the goals when Dover fans decided they'd stay in the 'home' end...and the same thing happened when Torquay visited Crabble earlier this season.

And I do not understand why anyone would want to stand behind their own goalkeeper for 90 mins when most grounds at this level allow you the freedom to swap at half time.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Agree, Collins and Tomlinson have been very poor, and must be dropped. Ash runs and runs but he has to get his half chances on target.

Booth must be put back in his favoured position as centre back alongside Marshall. Least we’d have some physical presence in defence then.

Dawson will hopefully be a 90 minute player in the near future, with Lapslie alongside. Duane doesn’t have pace upfront, but maybe 60 minutes and replace him, Ash can still run in minute 90. So not sure on the best way to utilise them.

Stick with the passing out from the back, if it’s quicker and players give good movement and options.
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

2-2 and will take that!