Staying Up - Relegation Battle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If Taunton beat Slough tomorrow night it will get a bit nervy again.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Why be concerned about Taunton?...They are six points behind us with a worse goal difference, with two games in hand - I would be surprised if they overtook us.

The current bottom four, look like the teams for the drop;

Dartford
Taunton
Havant & Waterlooville
Dover
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I like your confidence. Let's see how many points behind us they are after Saturday, and then we play them away next week.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

North Curry House wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 10:05 Why be concerned about Taunton?...They are six points behind us with a worse goal difference, with two games in hand - I would be surprised if they overtook us.

The current bottom four, look like the teams for the drop;

Dartford
Taunton
Havant & Waterlooville
Dover
Because if they beat us it will be three points and they have two more games to play than we do.
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

a significant game tonight - Truro vs Eastbourne. Then Truro play Yeovil the next day ! So things should be clearer by the weekend.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

It is the Truro first team tonight again and reserves against Yeovil. This was confirmed to me by their management team on Monday night. His point to me during the discussion was, we are lucky as fully time, they are not and have little choice.
Last edited by Nick Potkins on 10 Apr 2024, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

dagglebert wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 13:31 a significant game tonight - Truro vs Eastbourne. Then Truro play Yeovil the next day ! So things should be clearer by the weekend.
And Taunton v Slough tomorrow. Interesting to see where they will play after this rain today. Hungerford and South Wales have been mentioned
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Also Havant v Welling tonight. If my maths is right (which is normally isn't!) if Havant lose or draw they will be relegated. Which takes one team out of the equation at least... leaving two spots to fill for the dreaded drop.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

A couple of thoughts:

Slough, who have nothing to play for, have a big role in deciding relegation.

If Hemel beat Slough on Saturday then they are pretty much safe but if Hemel lose or draw their final game at Taunton could be a decider for both.

If Taunton beat or draw with Slough tomorrow and both Torquay and Taunton lose our difficult away games on Saturday, Taunton will only be 3 or 5 points behind us going into our game with them on Tuesday. If Taunton beat us then it is out of our hands as a win or draw v Weston two days later would put them ahead of us going into the last day. A draw with Taunton and a win v Havant would however keep us above them.

If Taunton lose to Slough tomorrow and both Torquay and Taunton lose our difficult away games on Saturday, Taunton will be 6 points behind us going into our game with them on Tuesday and a draw in that game would see us safe.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

standupsitdown wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 20:30 A couple of thoughts:

Slough, who have nothing to play for, have a big role in deciding relegation.

If Hemel beat Slough on Saturday then they are pretty much safe but if Hemel lose or draw their final game at Taunton could be a decider for both.

If Taunton beat or draw with Slough tomorrow and both Torquay and Taunton lose our difficult away games on Saturday, Taunton will only be 3 or 5 points behind us going into our game with them on Tuesday. If Taunton beat us then it is out of our hands as a win or draw v Weston two days later would put them ahead of us going into the last day. A draw with Taunton and a win v Havant would however keep us above them.

If Taunton lose to Slough tomorrow and both Torquay and Taunton lose our difficult away games on Saturday, Taunton will be 6 points behind us going into our game with them on Tuesday and a draw in that game would see us safe.
Better you channel your thoughts on what WE can achieve and not others, which we can not influence.

A point at Bath would put us on 49, meaning that Taunton would need to get a result from Slough or we would be seven points ahead of them with a better GD.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

North Curry House wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 20:52 Better you channel your thoughts on what WE can achieve and not others, which we can not influence.

A point at Bath would put us on 49, meaning that Taunton would need to get a result from Slough or we would be seven points ahead of them with a better GD.
True.
But I like to know what we need (may need) to achieve.
A point at Bath would indeed be a big help.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Truro 0 Eastbourne 0
Good result for us I think as it keeps both teams in the mix. Particularly good that Eastbourne didn’t win as they stay behind us with three games left.
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

United62 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 14:25 Also Havant v Welling tonight. If my maths is right (which is normally isn't!) if Havant lose or draw they will be relegated. Which takes one team out of the equation at least... leaving two spots to fill for the dreaded drop.
Havant only drew with Welling tonight so Havant will be relegated.
That's Dover and Havant for the drop so far.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I don't wish to be the purveyor of doom.

However, in my opinion, it shows how far this club has fallen that contributors to this site are relying on the failures of part-time clubs to keep this full-time club in this league. I realise that the points' deduction has played its part, but as I have commented previously most of the players should be ashamed to call themselves professional footballers.

If a consortium involving Hayman and Edwards gains control then I predict that things will get infinitely worse.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 08:38 I don't wish to be the purveyor of doom.

However, in my opinion, it shows how far this club has fallen that contributors to this site are relying on the failures of part-time clubs to keep this full-time club in this league. I realise that the points' deduction has played its part, but as I have commented previously most of the players should be ashamed to call themselves professional footballers.

If a consortium involving Hayman and Edwards gains control then I predict that things will get infinitely worse.
Well said and good post, minutes after other games, fans on here mentioning Taunton,Truro, Dartford etc.....its show how far we've fallen doesn't it, not good enough, and next season I'm pretty convinced will be much of the same, I said at the start of the season we are an average mid table NLS team, and which is what we are, all the hype about play offs and winning the league back in July and August, I never believed it one bit.