Potential Buyers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

MellowYellow wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 15:14 The fact that football enjoys an incredibly generous tax regime maybe a good reason. The UK asks very few questions about tax loss that can be offset by companies against their profits.
What extremely generous tax regimes are these? How can other companies offset the losses of a football club against their profits and why would it make any sense anyway when the tax relief is only at corporation tax rates. Spend £5million to save £1million - what is attractive about that?
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

I'd be absolutely amazed if it was CD.

He has zero interest with football (he's a speedway fan) although he did has a slight sniff at a collaboration with YTFC about 12 years ago but came to nothing.

I wouldn't have thought any TUFC would have him at the helm, he's not the most 'strait laced' of men, let's put it that way.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

It would be extremely boring to go into the subject of tax relief/evasion. As there is more than one way to peel an orange let's have a look at the man himself Dawson who appears to have transferred shares in his firm’s parent company to Mrs Dawson after she moved to the Channel Islands tax haven in 2016. This meant she did not have to pay the Treasury anything when Norton Group Holdings, which owns The Range, paid out a £39.5million dividend in 2018 according to The Times. It reported that this denied the UK as much as £15million in tax. Basically, where there's a will there's a way
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

MellowYellow wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 16:39 It would be extremely boring to go into the subject of tax relief/evasion. As there is more than one way to peel an orange let's have a look at the man himself Dawson who appears to have transferred shares in his firm’s parent company to Mrs Dawson after she moved to the Channel Islands tax haven in 2016. This meant she did not have to pay the Treasury anything when Norton Group Holdings, which owns The Range, paid out a £39.5million dividend in 2018 according to The Times. It reported that this denied the UK as much as £15million in tax. Basically, where there's a will there's a way
Sorry but this isn't good enough - transfer of shares to an offshore resident to avoid dividend tax is completely different to the claim that somehow buying a football club as it can somehow reduce tax. Whatever someone puts into Torquay United via another company, they can only reduce their tax liability by 25% (current corporation tax ate) of the amount that they have in put in when they write that amount off. Its a fools errand.

There is no magic formula that allows someone buying a football club to save more tax than the amount that they inject in. Football clubs are a money pit.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Goodness ,we are quick out of the traps to condemn someone that might not even know about torquay united let alone buying the club, same goes with brewdog, I bet the negatives are being typed up as we speak.
Who ever buys the club , let them at least sign the paperwork before we start destroying their credability because they do not have the morals of mother teresa.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

If Chris Dawson was anyway interested in football then he would of bought argyle when they were on there knees a few years ago… doesn’t really make any sense
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Very happy to concede before we bore everyone to death on tax strategy . But for reference if you want it to be football related you may wish to look into "dual representation’ contracts" , where football clubs avoid VAT, income tax and national insurance contributions through a tax avoidance scheme, whereby fees paid to agents of players are routed partly through the clubs to halve the tax liability. Or take a look at a football club like Blackpool when they were relegated from the Premier League and just paid £100,000 on profits of £21m – a rate of 0.5 per cent.

I don't think I said buying a football club can save you more money than the amount you inject, but just you can off-set losses. Your'e right it is a money pit hence why owners often seek a return through property development.

Anyway's I concede - you win :bow:
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

culmstockgull wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 18:01 Goodness ,we are quick out of the traps to condemn someone that might not even know about torquay united let alone buying the club, same goes with brewdog, I bet the negatives are being typed up as we speak.
Who ever buys the club , let them at least sign the paperwork before we start destroying their credability because they do not have the morals of mother teresa.
That's exactly the wrong approach though, that's what causes problems for clubs.

You have to check the reasoning and intention of anyone that is buying your club BEFORE they buy it. Just look at Bury, Oldham and more recently Reading.

Know who they are, then support them!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

IJN wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 18:14 That's exactly the wrong approach though, that's what causes problems for clubs.

You have to check the reasoning and intention of anyone that is buying your club BEFORE they buy it. Just look at Bury, Oldham and more recently Reading.

Know who they are, then support them!
We may wish to check them out but we cannot do diddly squat about it, who every is mad enough to buy the club will have skeletons, if they vote labour or green, a member of the national trust, goes to butlins for their holidays, and hasnt paid two parking fines. Regardless they put up the money they make the decisions. Rinse and repeat.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Why would Chris Dawson be at the match yesterday sitting with our directors etc if he wasn't interested ?
Yellowarmy79
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Super Kevin Hill
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Yellowarmy79 »

Wow this post is all very doom and gloom!

We don’t even know who the preferred bidder is yet but some are being very negative about the names that are being banded around as gossip as it stands. In my opinion I don’t care who the preferred bidder is…..as long as it gets Osbourne, Edwards and Hayman out of our club!

Should Chris Dawson be the preferred bidder I really couldn’t give a monkeys why he didn’t invest in Argyle a few years ago, I’ll be grateful that he has decided to invest in our club now! If he wants to use the club as a tax loophole good luck to him, as long as he’s doing it by investing into the team……any advice my way on tax loopholes I’d take from him too!

That goes likewise for James from Brewdog, if either, both or A N Other is the preferred bidders I will be doing all I can to thank them for helping us keep our club going and doing what I can do support them to get us back to a decent quality of football to watch to start with then hopefully a better standard to play in along what hopefully will be a fun ride and bring back some good days, there aren’t always many but when they come around it’s always fun!
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

desperado wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 20:33 Why would Chris Dawson be at the match yesterday sitting with our directors etc if he wasn't interested ?
Read on one Facebook group that someone who works for him said it’s not him anyway.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

desperado wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 20:33 Why would Chris Dawson be at the match yesterday sitting with our directors etc if he wasn't interested ?
we've no idea whether the picture is of him.
we've no idea whether, even assuming the pic *is* him, that he was there as a prospective owner
we've no idea about anything

The reason we don't know anything is because the club have told us nothing beyond the fact that's there's a 'preferred bidder'. We know from the TUST that it's not the bid they were involved with. At this point everything is pure speculation. Presumably the preferred bidder is doing due diligence. providing evidence of funding, that sort of thing. I also would expect them to waiting until we know exactly what divisino we'll be in next season, as that surely makes a material difference to the value of the club
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Presumably the preferred bidder comes up to the credentials required.It does sound as though they haven't stated an exact figure for purchasing the club otherwise you wouldn't wait to see what division we would be in if they'd already made a firm offer financially.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Well whoever's buying us they need to get a move on so they can offer a substantial win bonus over the next two games and motivate the players and at least keep us up.