Potential Buyers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I'm prepared to get behind a new owner and give them a chance.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

:goodpost: :goodpost:
brucie wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 20:13 God there is some shit written on here. People google someone and then on that basis decide he is the devil incarnate.

Everyone at Port Vale hates him so what - As he was beaten up badly by some of their so called supporters no wonder he couldnt wait to jump ship. Inexcusable i'd say.

Who knows he might not even be involved but he's got plenty of financial clout behind him and turns up to watch his team play - there are 2 redeeming qualities for starters.

If we do get a new owner then that will be a plus. I'd just rather give whoever it is a chance before carping before the ink dries on the contract.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

brucie wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 20:13 God there is some shit written on here. People google someone and then on that basis decide he is the devil incarnate.

Everyone at Port Vale hates him so what - As he was beaten up badly by some of their so called supporters no wonder he couldnt wait to jump ship. Inexcusable i'd say.

Who knows he might not even be involved but he's got plenty of financial clout behind him and turns up to watch his team play - there are 2 redeeming qualities for starters.

If we do get a new owner then that will be a plus. I'd just rather give whoever it is a chance before carping before the ink dries on the contract.
Talking shit??, are you for real?, Smurthwaite is a clown pal, you know, I know, Gulls fans deep down know it,Vale fans know it, Carol Shanahan knows it, ...how many fans would like to get their hands on CO?, Plenty would, it's no different with Vale fans against Smurthwaite, trust me on this, if he gets his mitts on TUFC, our problems won't be Beaconsfield away next season, we'll be a bona fide "basket case" in no time and cease trading.Thats not me being negative listening to rumours etc etc, he would run us into the ground.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

TommyGunn wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 20:40 I'm prepared to get behind a new owner and give them a chance.
Me too....

We all want the perfect owner, but the chances of that are nearly zero. Reading differing opinions on here show how difficult running a club must be, and all negative comments will do is discourage some potential saviours from getting involved.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

There is no doubt his track record is pretty appalling. Threatening to put Port Vale into administration solely to help negotiate a better sale price is grim.

That being said, if (and it remains a massive if) he is the only thing stopping TUFC from going bust, then I don’t see there is much point focussing on that.

We need to make the best of the situation, and starting with a witch-hunt is not going to help the club!
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

The thing is here is this, people are saying they are willing to give Smurthwaite a chance, like you're at the supermarket and you decide to give Morrison's beans a chance over Branstons, or Daz over Ariel..... Smurthwaite is not the answer, we'd be knackered in no time at all,like I say, he's Clarke Osborne in disguise.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

The Great Muta! wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 08:14 The thing is here is this, people are saying they are willing to give Smurthwaite a chance, like you're at the supermarket and you decide to give Morrison's beans a chance over Branstons, or Daz over Ariel..... Smurthwaite is not the answer, we'd be knackered in no time at all,like I say, he's Clarke Osborne in disguise.
...but if all the shelves were empty apart from one tin of Smurthwaite Beans, I'd buy them rather than go hungry.

As it stands, none of us (or at least the majority of us) do not know what is going on behind the scenes. Until an official buyer is announced everything is just guesswork and if it is Smurthwaite we'll just have to accept it and hope he doesn't repeat his time at PV.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Valiantnodge
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Valiantnodge »

Can’t say we didn’t try to warn you.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

What is best - a bad owner as we've just had or starting again as a phoenix club?
Depends how bad the owner but if any only want the ground I'd rather start again.
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by wbw »

standupsitdown wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 10:22 What is best - a bad owner as we've just had or starting again as a phoenix club?
Depends how bad the owner but if any only want the ground I'd rather start again.
That rules Smurthwaite out then.
Yeofan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yeofan »

wbw wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 19:36 Running sustainably at this level doesn't involve full time football.
So what ? As part time, surely the biggest (by a country mile) team in NLS can get themselves promoted. Then at NL level where full time is the the norm, go full time.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

Valiantnodge wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 10:16 Can’t say we didn’t try to warn you.
We know we've been warned about Smurthwaite and his antics, Nodge... but we're stuck between a rock and hard place right now.

Let's face it, whoever buys into the club has got a massive job to do to restore faith in the fanbase.

But as I said before, everything is just guesswork right now until we hear anything official from the club.

If, and I hope this is a big if, we fail to find a buyer and it all goes tits up, I'd support a phoenix club 100%
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Neil Warnock's yellow army
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Yeofan wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 11:45 So what ? As part time, surely the biggest (by a country mile) team in NLS can get themselves promoted. Then at NL level where full time is the the norm, go full time.
In a crappy location making it very difficult to attract enough good quality part-time players as their opportunities for their professional careers are limited.

We've just had full time NL level and it cost £1million a year of external funding to support that, so what is changing? The average annual deficit in the National League is around £700k, most teams are relying on external support to compete at that level and other clubs have the advantage of owning their own ground and the additional revenues that can bring.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Good article on devon live that not exactly fills me with hope but gives cause for optimism in that Neil Warnock is helping with talking to potential investsors and will be at the ground tomorrow, perhaps he could find his way into the dugout.