Clark Osborne/Jim Parker Interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Clark Osborne/Jim Parker Interview

Post by Colorado »

The below is taken from Mr Osborne’s interview with Jim Parker regarding success at Torquay United

“We can if Torbay wants it, if the supporters, the council and the bergers of Torbay want it.

“If they do not or they are ambivalent as to the future of Torquay United, I may as well give up. What is the point?
—————-

Can those of you who live in the community help me understand the disconnect between Mr Osborne and the “council and the bergers?”

Does the council and its bergers want this team to fail?
How would it benefit them if the club went out of business?
What is it that they want

There is something very, very wrong with TUFC and I’m guessing it goes well beyond matters on the pitch?
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

I think the issue Torbay Council Officers and Councillors have is that Clarke Osborne has never produced a credible plan for a new stadium backed up by a strategy and proper business plan to deliver it.

I'm not sure who the "bergers" of Torbay are but if he means the MP for instance, Kevin Foster MP has tried to engage with CO but has found it very difficult to have meaningful discussions.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Colorado »

And can folks give me the names of the councilors who Mr Osborne is essentially calling out in this interview?
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Colorado »

Could these folks be interviewed by the local press for their take on what is going on and their comments published so we have a better understanding of what’s going on?
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Currently it would be the leader and Deputy Leader,Dave Thomas and Chris Lewis ( Conservative); previously Steve Darling and Darren Cowell (Lib Dem/Independent).
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Parker was totally the wrong person to interview Clark Osborne, it should of been Dave Thomas. Thomas knows the Club inside out and would of asked "proper" questions. Half a century of knowledge lost.

Parker pulled rank on Thomas, asking him to stand aside. Parker sees himself as am ambassador for Torbay and even has his sights set on becoming Mayor......first he has to be a councillor and a ward where he will be accepted.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Knocking on the doors of 6 years now since I did this interview. Still feel the same way and yet to be proven otherwise. Good on the council for standing firm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ll-league/
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Colorado wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 09:49 Can those of you who live in the community help me understand the disconnect between Mr Osborne and the “council and the bergers?”

Does the council and its bergers want this team to fail?
How would it benefit them if the club went out of business?
What is it that they want
It would not benefit the council if the club went out of business. However, it would also not benefit the club if they signed Plainmoor over to Osborne, and then he folded the club anyway. I think they (the council) have indicated a willingness to work with the club and owners on a new ground but they've been pretty clear that they won't countenance anything until there is an actual plan. So far all Osborne and co have produced is a half-arsed rendering of a stadium with a TUFC badge shoddily photshopped onto it.

I suspect that Osborne thought he would have little issue finessing the council into allowing him to build on plainmoor (or whatever he wants to do with it) - that they have not easily rolled over is likely to be a sore point. Practically speaking, though, there will be a new bunch of councillors after the next election so it might be worth him waiting and then trying again with the new ones.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Louis wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 14:04 Knocking on the doors of 6 years now since I did this interview. Still feel the same way and yet to be proven otherwise. Good on the council for standing firm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ll-league/
Would be interested to read it but it's behind a pay wall.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Colorado »

I suspect that Osborne thought he would have little issue finessing the council into allowing him to build on plainmoor (or whatever he wants to do with it) - that they have not easily rolled over is likely to be a sore point. Practically speaking, though, there will be a new bunch of councillors after the next election so it might be worth him waiting and then trying again with the new ones.
And now it ALL makes sense. Osborne is waiting for the new group of councilors.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Colorado »

Colorado wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 15:50
Per HappyTorq

And now it ALL makes sense. Osborne is waiting for the new group of councilors. Thanks HappyTorq for solving the mystery. The club is done for
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Afraid it it doesn't make sense for Clarke Osbourne to wait, don't know whether Happytorq was aware, Torbay council elections were last held May 2023,less than a year ago, when it was believed to be primarily down to the Torbay road fiasco the ruling Lib Dems lost control to the Tories so there has already been that change.

To next local elections are now, not due until May 2027.
Formerly known as forevertufc
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Dave wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 16:29 Afraid it it doesn't make sense for Clarke Osbourne to wait, don't know whether Happytorq was aware, Torbay council elections were last held May 2023,less than a year ago, when it was believed to be primarily down to the Torbay road fiasco the ruling Lib Dems lost control to the Tories so there has already been that change.

To next local elections are now, not due until May 2027.
yeah, I confess I didn't know exactly when the next ones are. I figured a year or two - although I also didn't realise that the Tories were back in control. I'd guess that it'd be easier for Osborne to deal with a Conservative council, so maybe there is already behind the scenes stuff going on.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

happytorq wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 16:39 yeah, I confess I didn't know exactly when the next ones are. I figured a year or two - although I also didn't realise that the Tories were back in control. I'd guess that it'd be easier for Osborne to deal with a Conservative council, so maybe there is already behind the scenes stuff going on.
But then the other problem he will have is Kevin Foster MP, who appears not to be a fan (like others) of Osborne.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Cheddargull wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 15:37 Would be interested to read it but it's behind a pay wall.
I just accessed it with no issues
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com