Aldershot v Torquay United Sat 4th March KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Another preventable goal by having a man on the post for their corner
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Aldershot's ground reminds me of Plainmoor 30 years ago, one big fire hazard,but it has old school charm, and a surprisingly good playing surface,one thing they have in common with torquay, their catering is expensive and poor quality.
The game was yet another that on balance of play we should have won comfortably, not sure the exact amount but that must be the fourth or fifth goal in the last month we have conceded at the far post through poor defending. There is still a huge misunderstanding between midfield and the forwards, to my mind midfield play it to where the forwards want it not the other way around but balls were played here, there and anywhere except where the forwards wanted it, at this stage of the season this should have been sorted out, Halstead was on form yesterday, two top draw saves that were nailed on goals, lapslie should be held up as a role model for young midfielders for his work rate alone.As for those that moan about Jarvis, where would we be without his goals this season, bottom I suggest.
I think this season can be characterised in many ways not least because of missed chances that invariably will come back to haunt us.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Why oh why can we not defend a basic corner ?
Crap marking , how many goals have we conceded from this route ? What is being done by Downes a defensive coach to rectify this repeat of schoolboy defending ?
It is frightening to know what is done in training !
Ultimately these soft goals against will cost us.
Aldershot 1 corner…. 1goal.
Us I counted at least 6 corners and 4 set pieces by
McGavin with the same floaty ball and nobody clinical enough to get on the end and make it count. Soo bloody frustrating as these are great goal scoring opportunities every time.
I am sorry but a centre forward should be getting on the end of them.
And sadly he isn’t , as was proven yesterday.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DevonBee wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 11:17 Why oh why can we not defend a basic corner ?
Crap marking , how many goals have we conceded from this route ? What is being done by Downes a defensive coach to rectify this repeat of schoolboy defending ?
It is frightening to know what is done in training !
Ultimately these soft goals against will cost us.
Aldershot 1 corner…. 1goal.
Us I counted at least 6 corners and 4 set pieces by
McGavin with the same floaty ball and nobody clinical enough to get on the end and make it count. Soo bloody frustrating as these are great goal scoring opportunities every time.
I am sorry but a centre forward should be getting on the end of them.
And sadly he isn’t , as was proven yesterday.
Why does it have to be the "centre forward" when there are probably four or five other players in the box as well???
How many goals have been scored previously by other players??
Give it a rest picking on Jarvis FFS - he's not the only player in there.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 11:21 Why does it have to be the "centre forward" when there are probably four or five other players in the box as well???
How many goals have been scored previously by other players??
Give it a rest picking on Jarvis FFS - he's not the only player in there.
Maybe not only Jarvis, but we cannot defend an opposition corner so who else ?
Remember Jarvis is deemed fit enough to defend a corner as he is mostly on our penalty spot. So one would surely hope he is best fit to attack one.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Also may I respectfully remind you SNW … Jarvis seems pretty much our only goal threat this season … so guess we would all hope he would get his head on it, as he seems pretty much the only option.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

The problem all season has been lack of width. 3-5-2 doesn’t offer that. Previous GJ sides have featured good wide players, but now we don’t have a single winger at the club!
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Just on the point of defending corners. I'm no expert but i'd think the individual defender should be defending space or going man to man against an opposition player. Each goal conceded from a corner can be attributed to a single defender and with possible inclusion of the goalkeeper (should he have saved it or come for the corner). GJ and AD should be able to look at individual defenders and the ability of the GK. The other thing to throw into the mix is the height of the defenders. I forget who the manager is but one manager has the basic principle of all defenders being above 6ft 3in to minimise goals from corners. I doesnt feel too difficult to sort....just assign players to opposition players and be very clear that they are accountable for the goal conceded. They dont even need to win the header just stop your player getting to the ball and block any run.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 17:41 Just on the point of defending corners. I'm no expert but i'd think the individual defender should be defending space or going man to man against an opposition player. Each goal conceded from a corner can be attributed to a single defender and with possible inclusion of the goalkeeper (should he have saved it or come for the corner). GJ and AD should be able to look at individual defenders and the ability of the GK. The other thing to throw into the mix is the height of the defenders. I forget who the manager is but one manager has the basic principle of all defenders being above 6ft 3in to minimise goals from corners. I doesnt feel too difficult to sort....just assign players to opposition players and be very clear that they are accountable for the goal conceded. They dont even need to win the header just stop your player getting to the ball and block any run.
Sums up Downes. Worthless waste of money yes man who can’t do his job. Get out. Pointless individual.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

At least we have not lost 7-0 like Crappy United at Anfield. Should of won at Aldershot yesterday, just hope we can get the three points at Solihull on Tuesday.

COYY
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Admiral wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 15:54 The problem all season has been lack of width. 3-5-2 doesn’t offer that. Previous GJ sides have featured good wide players, but now we don’t have a single winger at the club!
You make a valid point.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Admiral wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 15:54 The problem all season has been lack of width. 3-5-2 doesn’t offer that. Previous GJ sides have featured good wide players, but now we don’t have a single winger at the club!
Agree with you on 3-5-2.
The team aren't coached well enough to play 3-5-2 along with the ever changing team.

Its a pretty complex formation with the changing roles of players especially in midfield as wing backs move up and down.

On the basis that its a more defensive system it doesnt seem to have worked.

I think GJ would have been better to keep it simple and focus on doing the basics well.

At NL level doing the basics well will avoid relegation
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I'd rather have Aaron Downes coaching defenders than people sat in armchairs who never played pro football in their life all thinking that they could do better.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DevonBee wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 12:11 Maybe not only Jarvis, but we cannot defend an opposition corner so who else ?
Remember Jarvis is deemed fit enough to defend a corner as he is mostly on our penalty spot. So one would surely hope he is best fit to attack one.
Didn't say anything about the crap defending did I?
I mentioned your point about Jarvis, which - in all honesty - you haven't really answered.
Is his role an attacker in the final third or a recognised defender at set pieces we are defending???
And the goal was conceded from nowhere near the penalty spot.....
If you are asking for one player to be the be all and end all for goalscoring from set-pieces, then we really are in trouble.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468