Torquay United v Bromley - Tues 28th Feb

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Guys, please respect other views. We are all angry and annoyed together. But remember, we are part of the Torquay family.

I am not sure any formation has worked this season. We simply don't have the players for this level. The 'marquee signings' did not show. COYY 💛
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think the comments of nick potkins should seriously be borne in mind, I agree it right that we should be angry but not with each other, as for blaming halstead, how many games this season has he kept the score to something approaching respectability, yes he made a mistake but we all have that in us ,the reality is with the exception of the Halstead Moxey, lapslie,lawrence and Jarvis we do not have a team worthy of this league,it has been the same for months, we have tried so mnay permutaions of shape and personnel, young players like donnellan, mcgavin, evans ,fadhunsi are still learning how to be pro footballers, they do not need to be moved round the park each week like some piece on a chess board just to fit a new strategy, I think I heard a comment from Johnson in midweek when he said something like Mcgavin has that sparkle or magic in him, Now I realise that Johnson is vertically challenged and struggles at times to see over the height of the grass but there is undoubtedly a very good reason why all rugby union coaches sit at the highest point of the stand and get a view of whats happening, if Johnson did that for one match he would see how absurd his comments on mcgavin are.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

After Saturday and last night I felt like giving up. My boy, who loves attending, pleaded with me ( loves going to Plainmoor) on the long journey back to Bishop, He said Grandad never gave up. I had a think and although I can't really afford it, I will go to Aldershot on Saturday and we will cheer them on. Last chance to get out of this mess. Don't fancy our chances of survival as a club if we are relegated. Hope I'm wrong!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Is Halstead any good though - Ive only watched the streamed games but he's a poor keeper really.

Everytime the opposition get a corner you think they might score because he gets rooted to his line. As has been pointed out he spent 80 minutes hoofing the ball into touch mostly and the one time a cool head was needed he rolls the ball to an opposition player in his own box. Whatever way you swing it is an unforgivable error.

We generally looked a shambles as usual but even so I accept that the players tried hard and we could have got something out the game last night. In fact we maybe should have got three draws from the last three games - how precious would those points be. Losing the way we did last night is criminal.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

brucie wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 09:38 Is Halstead any good though - Ive only watched the streamed games but he's a poor keeper really.

Everytime the opposition get a corner you think they might score because he gets rooted to his line. As has been pointed out he spent 80 minutes hoofing the ball into touch mostly and the one time a cool head was needed he rolls the ball to an opposition player in his own box. Whatever way you swing it is an unforgivable error.

We generally looked a shambles as usual but even so I accept that the players tried hard and we could have got something out the game last night. In fact we maybe should have got three draws from the last three games - how precious would those points be. Losing the way we did last night is criminal.
Halstead has been one of a couple of players who have been up to standard across the season, pulled of some great saves and does come and collect under pressure - a far cry from last season.

'"I've only watched the streamed games" - says it all
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 10:18 Halstead has been one of a couple of players who have been up to standard across the season, pulled of some great saves and does come and collect under pressure - a far cry from last season.

'"I've only watched the streamed games" - says it all
100% agree.....one of the few players who can hold their heads up high and a complete turnaround from last seasom
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Last three games. I'm pretty sure we would have beaten Dorking if Evans hadn't been sent off. Southend and Bromley we should have held on for a draw. That would have given us five points and lifted our position and spirits. It's fine margins and daft errors that are letting us down. At times particularly in the second half we played some really good football, for this level. The last few games we have lost by the odd goal. If we were as bad as some people seem to make out then we would have been battered by four or five goals each game.Just need a little more consistency and attention to detail, We can get out of this mess. Gotta stay positive. keep the drum going, keep cheering and lift those players, cos if we the fans don't then no one else will.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I was just looking back at my post on October 9th 2021 when we played Bromley away. It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching my beloved Torquay United Football Club. In that post I called for the sacking of the management team and got a stack of abuse on this forum. I could see back then that Johnson had lost it, not a single player performed that day and as a result I vowed never to watch my beloved team under the management of Gary Johnson. In the following 18 months, sadly I've been proved right. We have an owner who has repeatedly stuck by his promises and is probably the best part of 6 million quid in to the club.
It is Gary Johnson alone who has ruined this football club, shafted the owner and looks like taking us back to where he started, the national league south.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

The goal we conceed of the corner is frustrating, we have EVERYONE back in the box and can afford the luxury therefore of sticking people on the posts. Wyatt starts in no mans land and then can find the correct position when he needs to. They had 2 or 3 very tall players so its not surprising they may win a header in the box but the goal is preventable
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

In defence of Halstead Lewis Collins is encouraging the keeper to roll the ball to him but Collins does not get what was a 50/50 ball and then disaster strikes.

What have I said all season about Donnellan and the right back issue. Yet another goal conceded because Donnellan is not and never will be a right back. 60 goals conceeded,1.8 goals per game, and I reckon at least 15 have come from that crucial area were Ben Wynter was so good. How we miss you Ben.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

dawlishmatt wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 11:45 I was just looking back at my post on October 9th 2021 when we played Bromley away. It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching my beloved Torquay United Football Club. In that post I called for the sacking of the management team and got a stack of abuse on this forum. I could see back then that Johnson had lost it, not a single player performed that day and as a result I vowed never to watch my beloved team under the management of Gary Johnson. In the following 18 months, sadly I've been proved right. We have an owner who has repeatedly stuck by his promises and is probably the best part of 6 million quid in to the club.
It is Gary Johnson alone who has ruined this football club, shafted the owner and looks like taking us back to where he started, the national league south.
:goodpost: Johnson will have taken us full circle back to where he started........what a great move that has turned out to be.
However we know the Pro Johnson brigade on here will think differently dawlishmatt
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Despite everything that's happened, and everything said, up the gulls! COYY!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Brewers Boy - yes agreed we may have beaten Dorking with 11 men but that hardly excuses conceding two goals of in 4 minutes which were actually the same.

Every team knows that Halstead doesnt command his line or penalty box so if you cross it over his head he is going to end up stranded. You'll see it time and time again in every match. So then you are reliant on the defenders doing the job because Halstead isnt going to claim anything. Marshall manages to lose the scorer twice in 4 minutes which takes some doing. So whilst the sending off did scupper us in one way there is no excuse to concede the goals that we did. Its just basics which we are incapable of doing.

In the Southend match we lost by not leaving any defensive cover - another schoolboy error costing us when we should have got a point at least.

To repeat the error in the next game is just unforgivable. It isnt fine margins - its a team intent on comitting hari kari which has relegation written all over it.

Banging drums and saying Up the gulls is just nonsensical. Perhaps if the fanbase had made its feelings known earlier Johnson would have taken offence and departed three months ago.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't think any keeper commands his penalty box ! Presume you meant 6 yard box, if you'd seen all our matches you would have noted that Halstead has improved massively on crosses catching under pressure, obviously he won't get them all when the box has 20 players in it.
Agree about Marshall, it was his man on Tuesday who headed in too, at least do enough to put him off getting a clean header. How he and McGavin are starting every week is beyond me, guess there is simply no-one else. Agree with Portugull Collins seemed to want the ball off Halstead for Bromleys winner but the Bromley player was much more alert to nick it. Been the problem all season, other teams so much quicker , sharper and stronger.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

Griff1n wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 18:34 If James Crole was in Cardiff’s under 21 squad today it doesn’t necessarily mean that his loan is over as some of our previous loanees have played for their parent clubs under 21’s whilst on loan at Plainmoor. It would be nice to be updated of his progress by the media team and management at Plainmoor. If there was a statement on the official site it is strange that 99.99 per cent of us seem to have missed it.
https://x.com/GlenWilliams12/status/1630553838255067136

Hadn't seen it on the OS either, but this tweet from a Cardiff journalist says Crole's loan was cut short due to an ankle injury.