January transfer targets

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

January transfer targets

Post by Yellow6 »

So GJ says he has targets for January to use some of the FA Cup cash to reinforce but with who and where?
Any ideas of who is available..............regardless of whether GJ's brother rates them or not.
Thoughts???
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Gj targets for January............. let us seriously live in hope it is much better than who he brought in the summer.
Do we trust the Johnsons with the Fa Cup cash ?
Also I am not sure why we have waited until January, other clubs are not waiting until January to do business ?
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

somersetgull wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 09:51
No transfer window from National League and below. Means you can sign players freely from those levels until March 31st.

Signing somebody and who is in contract, from the Football League can only be done during their Transfer window.
Doubt we would sign an in contract EFL player but during January EFL clubs will be finalising their squads for the final half of the season and maybe GJ is waiting to see who misses out and becomes available.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

somersetgull wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 09:51 Signing somebody and who is in contract, from the Football League can only be done during their Transfer window.
That's not actually true. NL clubs can sign Football League players at any point up until the registration deadline near the end of March. For example, Wrexham signed Andy Cannon earlier this month from Hull for an undisclosed fee. The sticking point is usually FL clubs don't want to lose players they can't easily replace outside their own transfer window so any outgoings are usually loans or people who are definitely fringe players.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I wonder if the Lemon is on his way back for a spell? He needs games and left out of the squad yesterday after being an 89th minute sub on Boxing Day unless injured in training or ill.
Not usually a fan of former good players coming back but would welcome him as a big improvement on what we have.
Pity we can't get Lewis too, with Stockport on a great run he can't get a game either !
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Our current Squad (possibly management) will send us down.
We need at least a further 30 points from somewhere.
Somethings got to change immediately however we are seeing no signs of change.

We are Torquay United fans first and foremost, the manager works for us. He needs to be financially backed or binned.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Do we even know how much we gained from the FACup? Or how much is likely to be available for signings or for normal running expenses/debts?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

GJ believes the current squad is good enough - may only act if a loanee is recalled/not extended

https://www.torbayweekly.co.uk/transfer ... ay-united/?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Any idea on the extent of Ellis’ injury? I’d expect him to sign in January, but would he want to risk dropping to NLS at his age?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

That's not very encouraging from the manager is it.
'People just coming back from injuries , we think we've got enough'
If he means Andrews, Hall and Marshall
I'm seriously depressed.
Games are running out , back to back wins needed NOW , can anyone see that coming ?
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Are we in the realm of hoping that a saviour(s) who will be obtained in Jan will pull the club out its current position?

If what GJ says in relation to the squad is correct then he us deluded. Having seen all the home games this season we aren’t tough enough and get bullied by the opposition.

Our marquee signings whoever they may be are more one man tent ones. I despair in that we have an attack to win games, Jarvis tries hard all huff and puff, Goodwin has potential but is learning his trade and Andrews is just inept and offers nothing.

We need to control the midfield and have a general in there, give me a Hargreaves/Russell player any day !

Hope springs eternal they say ……
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 11:23 GJ believes the current squad is good enough - may only act if a loanee is recalled/not extended

https://www.torbayweekly.co.uk/transfer ... ay-united/?
This proves Johnson is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land
He has lost the plot completely.
We need a minimum of 3 out and 3 in who can stand up and be counted…..like NOW :-D
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

If this is the case, and GJ isn't signing any new players, then my theory of him gearing up for relagation/promotion next season could be real, either he's being extremely cagey, or he believes in the squad?, either way we need new players IN..also the cup money/TV money looks like it's going into Osbournes back pocket, which if that's the case, he doesn't see the point of putting it back into the coffers in order for us to get up the table, all in all this isn't what we wanted to hear.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

If the comments in the torbay weekly are accurate I worry for Johnsons perspective on football and his sanity, I will only get players in if any of mine leave, well amongst those wondrous signings from the summer only Halstead would be on anyone's radar, if the loan players we have do not wish their footballing careers to go backwards they will all be off in January, then he has to replace the only decent players in the squad hopefully will those of similar class so we will be no better off.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Halstead was signed in the Summer of 2021. He is in his 2nd year at Plainmoor.