Wealdstone v Torquay Saturday 26th February 2020

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

That was undoubtedly the worst game I have seen for seasons, I have geniunely seen better sunday league football. Not one of our team could hold onto the ball or find a telling pass, Wright was out jumped for most of the match but we still persisted in aiming for him. Yet again Lapslie was done at 60 minutes, We tried to walk it in again and I dont think we had one shot the whole match.Not sure what was going on with lolos, he had only been on for 5 minutes so was feeling himselff into the match,then he gets subbed , he certainly wasnt injured. At least most of the team and subs have next christmas sorted for employment as snow whites assistants, we certianly have the most vertically challenged team in the division.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Spot on.
That really was a pathetic display and makes a mockery of those who harboured hopes of the playoffs.
Good job it was behind closed doors and the yellow army didn’t have to waste their hard earned cash witnessing it.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I didn't watch the game but fear that with now nothing but pride to play for they recent good form may not continue, especially away from Plainmoor.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Sadly very poor again today. I just hope this opens people eyes to the fact we are just bang average and this set of players will not get us promoted this season or next. It is a big boys league and we have been found out again today.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Totally inept. Start planning for next season NOW ( that is in this league!!!)
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Totally and embarrasimg. No forwards and no idea.

Polos or Dead Loss as he is known sums it s up.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Funny how we look at things from different perspectives. Inept is not a word I would use to summarise our team performance taking into account we totally dominated the game. I'm ready for criticism here but I thought our team played well and Wealdstone had no answer to our possession dominance. But, the scoreline tells it own story, we miss a quality forward or two to put the ball in the back of the net. Enter Lolos to make his mark - 5 mins on - exit Lolos - he's not the answer. All I can add to that is the team is showing a lot more promise than it did at the start of the season. Off now to put on my tin-helmet ready for the bombardment heading my way.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

MellowYellow wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 20:40 Funny how we look at things from different perspectives. Inept is not a word I would use to summarise our team performance taking into account we totally dominated the game. I'm ready for criticism here but I thought our team played well and Wealdstone had no answer to our possession dominance. But, the scoreline tells it own story, we miss a quality forward or two to put the ball in the back of the net. Enter Lolos to make his mark - 5 mins on - exit Lolos - he's not the answer. All I can add to that is the team is showing a lot more promise than it did at the start of the season. Off now to put on my tin-helmet ready for the bombardment heading my way.
I would agree with you about the use of the word inept. With respect I don't believe we dominated, let alone totally dominated. Watch the second half back again, did you honestly see us scoring. More promise maybe, but it is a result business, the table does not lie.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

We may on balance have had the better of the first half and the odd flash in the second but the majority of the second 45 was Wealdstone's, that their forward line was more inept than ours was the only reason they didnt bang in four.We had no midfield hold up play whatsoever, they were the part timers but you would not have guessed it. Since before christmas I thought we were mid table and a few recent results caused me to doubt that but today showed as some have already said we need to plan for next season because even if we creep into the play offs by default that would be hugely detrimental to us as a club.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Nick Potkins wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 20:59 I would agree with you about the use of the word inept. With respect I don't believe we dominated, let alone totally dominated. Watch the second half back again, did you honestly see us scoring. More promise maybe, but it is a result business, the table does not lie.
I think I made the point about our goal drought, but this was not a game of two halves. There was only one team in it and we should have buried the game by half time. Should have won the match anyway -how the lines-man could flag for off-side with the Lemon crossing from the byline for O'Connell behind him to smash it into the net, beggars belief.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't think it was for off side. My initial reaction was that the ball had gone out of play.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 21:48 I don't think it was for off side. My initial reaction was that the ball had gone out of play.
Correct.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 21:48 I don't think it was for off side. My initial reaction was that the ball had gone out of play.
That could be even worse - the linesman vision was obscured by two goal-posts, 4 players and a goal-keeper and 40 metres of distance. I doubt he could see 'The Lemon" let alone the ball crossing the line . I was basing the off-side decision on the way the players were remonstrating with the ref as if suggesting the ball was played back from the byline. Be interesting to see which decision was called.

Edits: Just seen GJ post match interview explaining the linesman guessed the ball was out of play. Given his positioning it had to be a guess. Also explains his frustration that we did not win 5-1.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I just watched the 5-10 mins that Lolos had on the pitch and can’t really see how it was justified to take him off - yes he gave the ball away lightly once or twice but no more than other players. He looked royally upset about getting taken off so quickly!

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

I have just watched Johnsons post match interview, besides voicing what most of us know and have known for months that the squad is not up to the job. As for the disallowed goal, I do not know whether it was offside or the ball had crossed out of play which I think is more likely, either way Johnson without his glasses was in a worse position to see what was going than the camera,I have looked at it several times and I cannot tell, yes the players shouted for it but they would, wouldnt they,In much the same way Evans throws himself on the ground ten times a game claiming someone possibly touched him. As for Lolos , he may have given the ball away but not half as much as Mckenna or wearne did throughout the game and they are all of a similar age and experience, there is no doubt if your face doesnt fit you aint getting a game at Torquay, and how often have we seen that in the last couple of seasons.