Yeovil Town v Torquay United Sunday 2 January 2022 KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 14:31 Looks like a diabolically weak line up.

It looked like they would be understrength but from looking like we would have a strong line up as usual we are understrength. Lapslie manages two games before getting injured as usual.

Reckon we will get hammered today.
Don't ever change, brucie
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

In fairness to Brucie he was right so all credit to all involved.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

What a difference Armstrong makes.

Did anyone else notice him giving his shirt Away at the end of the match? Could this mean it’s his last game for us?

Our season will hinge on him staying or going.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Lots of endeavour from both sides for the first hour but with little quality or end result. Their goal changed it, stunning strike although we gave the ball away cheaply.

Armstrong caused no end of problems, was denied a goal by a dubious offside call and had one saved after great work by O'Connell. Ominous that he gave his shirt away and stayed out to seemingly wave goodbye at the end. A shame if that's all we see of him.

Macdonald was great and Hall likewise in the second half. Wynter and Moxey solid as always.

Yeovil's time wasting from minute 1 is almost as odd as their ridiculous ticketing system - crazy even leaving aside the need to avoid close crowded areas during covid times!

Felix looked like he could add a new dynamic and hopefully can stay fit.

All in all a good start to the year!
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 17:33 Well done to the team, GJ & the fans! :clap:
Have to say that has to be one of the most pleasing results of the season so far.
Goal down, players missing who would have played and a 90+ minute performance.
Delighted for Dan Holman - have seen the goal on BT Sport - great ball from CLE and then what a first touch then finish! :bow: :clap:
Up the Gulls.
Are the highlights available on BT? My series link has not captured an episode for ages ;-) :no: :no: :no:
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Amazing finish and atmosphere with all 1000 TUFC fans signing in the rain. Let's no forget McDonalds unbelievable reaction save with his foot after it took a wicked defection which kept the scores level at half time. Johnson bringing on Holman to join Armstrong and Wright worked so well!! Great finish from Holman and what a chip/through ball from Evans!! Defence were really good keeping out every striker that Yeovil sent on. Couldn't do anything about their goal once it was hit but mistakes did lead to the guy having the room to shoot!! If Armstrong goes back it would only be to go out to a league team. Still not the finished article but bags of talent. He's never gonna get in the QPR team before Austin, Grey, Dykes!! Well done to manager, team and fans. Great away day!!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great atmosphere today, nearly didn’t go and sooooo glad I did.
Great effort from everyone involved, has all been said and will be said but GJ must now be thinking about Evans taking corners no with Little sat on the edge of the box for 2nd plays
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

What an atmosphere, what a result, my so called waterproof coat is anything ,but even driving home in an ever increasing puddle did not take the smile of my face. Did we deserve it, on balance yes, I thought Hall had one of the poorest first 45 minutes I have seen, but back to his usual in the second half.Lolos has obvious talent but little footballing brain, how long can we continue with him until that lightbulb comes on is anyones guess. Their goal was a cracker and holmans winner was him back to his best, Armstrong made all the difference when he came on and I hope the rumours of him moving on are not true.
More concerned with the comments on Johnsons post match which were enigmatic to say the least but worrying none the less.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Great day out and everyone played well.
With Johnson, Hall and Felix making up a completely new midfield it was a great effort. I think Johnson is actually a very good footballer, he is composed, finds space and time and picks out some good passes. Didn't think it was going to be our day when that 35 yd worldy went it the top corner, and then Armstrong missed the one on one , good save though it was , and the offside goal was chalked off, must have been close. Evans tries that little scoop up over the top ball several times, nice to see it come off ! Pleased for Holman who's not had the best of times lately, great finish.
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 20:01 What an atmosphere, what a result, my so called waterproof coat is anything ,but even driving home in an ever increasing puddle did not take the smile of my face. Did we deserve it, on balance yes, I thought Hall had one of the poorest first 45 minutes I have seen, but back to his usual in the second half.Lolos has obvious talent but little footballing brain, how long can we continue with him until that lightbulb comes on is anyones guess. Their goal was a cracker and holmans winner was him back to his best, Armstrong made all the difference when he came on and I hope the rumours of him moving on are not true.
More concerned with the comments on Johnsons post match which were enigmatic to say the least but worrying none the less.
Lolos reminds me of a young Jamie Reid, deemed surplus to requirements by his former manager yet a player with bags of talent.

In GJ we trust.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 20:01 What an atmosphere, what a result, my so called waterproof coat is anything ,but even driving home in an ever increasing puddle did not take the smile of my face. Did we deserve it, on balance yes, I thought Hall had one of the poorest first 45 minutes I have seen, but back to his usual in the second half.Lolos has obvious talent but little footballing brain, how long can we continue with him until that lightbulb comes on is anyones guess. Their goal was a cracker and holmans winner was him back to his best, Armstrong made all the difference when he came on and I hope the rumours of him moving on are not true.
See what you mean - several references to 'adversity' and the need for Downes and he to support each other during a week when each have been working 24/24. Can't imagine either of them are under threat but do wonder if they are referring to the loan situation with Sparkes and, potentially, Armstrong being recalled. That would certainly trigger a lot of work on identifying and pulling in replacements.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Modgull, I think that is logica,l I also thought it might be that the club have accepted offers for players against Johnsons wishes.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well certainly enjoyed standing on that roofless, soulless away terrace a whole load more than two seasons ago, thankfully only the last 15 minutes or so saw the same weather outcome.

The game started pretty much the same as boxing day, with Yeovil not scared to put their foot in with some swift tackling, but the game didn't seem to have the same intensity, through out the first half we saw some real sloppy passing from Torquay, short passes under hit, long passes flying past their intended target, this allowed Yeovil to have the greater possession before the break, with Yeovil looking the more fluid of the teams.

Like boxing day the first half ended in stalemate, largely thanks to a piece of incredible improvisation from MacDonald in the Torquay goal, with a shot taking a cruel deflection and certainly goal bound , MacDonald who'd dived the other way somehow managed not only to block the shot with his feet, but hook the ball away from danger.

At half time felt, the team hadn't done enough, looked a little slow to react at times, given possession away to cheaply at times, with the main culprit new signing Joe Felix, who looked nervous and a little lost in a central position, however must be said, Felix put a number a high quality crosses into the box, maybe more suited to a wide position.

Second half Torquay definitely started with a lot more purpose, Torquay producing some good attacking patterns of play , for the first time in the match had Yeovil pushed back and were asking some real questions of Yeovil's back line, unfortunately unable to turn our dominance into a goal, as the tempo of the game evened out Yeovil once again started to threaten our goal, and the warning was there, Yeovil had three long range efforts narrowly go over our crossbar, at this point I turned to a friend and said, we've got to stop these shots coming in they'll got one right in a minute if we don't.

Sure enough soon after, another long range effort found the top corner, Yeovil in front, and they nearly scored again from the very next attack, leaving me with a sinking feeling that another away match would end like so many in recent times. The introduction of Armstrong, O'Connell and Holman helped turn the game back in our favour, O'Connell I've always like his industry the lad never stops working, Holman looked fresh and mentally more up for a fight, with Armstrong's pace and physical presence Yeovil were being asked questions unlike Torquay had managed before and the chances started to come.

First Holman firing narrowly wide from a tight angle, then Yeovil's on loan keeper got out quick to smother Armstrong's shot, but from the resulting corner, Barnes in the Yeovil goal made a real hash of an attempted parry away, and Connor Evans corner landed in the back of the net 1.1.

Both teams didn't seem to want to sit back and settle for a point, with attack followed by counter attack, but Torquay would get some late and sweet revenge, with the ball lifted over Yeovil's defence, finding Homan on the opposite angle from his first attempt, this time Homan would make no mistake firing home the winner, que absolute 'limbs' as the 1,000 strong away support celebrated deliriously.

Was great to look around the away stand after the final whistle and see young, very young, middle aged, and old alike jumping up and down cheering on their team, class support from the yellow army today, in what was great day at the office coyy.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

What a fantastic win that was. with Little and Lapslie missing in midfield we then lost Sparkes asw he was isolating. The team looked very week on paper and most would have taken a draw at kickoff. First half was even bar Mcdonald good save, not many chances created during the game. Once the rain came down it was more graft then skill. with them having a dodgy keeper always likely that someon Armstrong would give him some worries. He let the corner go in as well, cheers chap. Couldnt tell if Armstrongs goal was offside as was behind the goal. Yeovil looked a poor side to me and we all went ballistic when Holman scored. Briliant numbers and noise.....
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

I bumped into someone before the game who remembered me from 50 odd years ago and also knows me as Yeovilgull. I didn’t have much chance to chat but if you're on this site feel free to PM me.