Torquay United v FC Halifax Town Sat 27 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thought we played well most of the first half, but simply no threat in attack.Two exceptional strikes from Slew and Waters was very quick and alert to get on to that Macdonald parry . When it got to 3-0 their confidence soared and they looked a division better than us , so much quicker, sharper and stronger. We need another striker or a fit energetic Danny Wright if that is possible now, a central midfielder to drive us forward, and an experienced central defender. We are most definitely in a relegation fight and it's very difficult to get away once you get sucked in.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 20:06 plainmoor78, good evening. May i suggest that you look up the term Gaslighting in any English Dictionary.
I have and what you have written is not Gaslighting.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 20:15 I have and what you have written is not Gaslighting.
may i suggest you visit a website called WebMD and look up the topic Gaslighting by a Dan Brennan MD. This topic headed Gaslighting: signs to look for explains the term as used in Psychiatry very well.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 20:15 I have and what you have written is not Gaslighting.
Gaslighting is only effective when there is unequal power dynamic namely when the gaslighted (dawlishmatt) has given the gaslighter (plainmoor78) power and their respect. ;-)
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

We played ok in the first 20 mins or so but we didn’t score and once Halifax got to grips with the game there was only going to be one winner. Felt sorry for Sinclair who, as an 18 year old, was asked to play up front on his own. Need an experienced centre forward such as a Rennie Howe to do that job. Ironically enough we end up with 3 forwards on the pitch!!
GJ keeps on about January and getting players in, who in their right mind is going to want to join in a relegation battle?
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Get with it, Bert.
GJ explained fully why Waters left, and it was not something TUFC wanted in any way.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 20:36 may i suggest you visit a website called WebMD and look up the topic Gaslighting by a Dan Brennan MD. This topic headed Gaslighting: signs to look for explains the term as used in Psychiatry very well.
JuSt read the article and it does not bear any relation to what you described. I suggest that you don't actually understand what was written in that article and that further suggests to me that you never worked in the psychiatric field.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Poor today until the last 5 mins of madness!! Halifax far better with Billy Walters looking like a player in form playing with confidence!! Not sure where our next win will come from!! Just got our tickets for Weymouth but truly worried we will go there and lose!! It's anything better than relegation this year so don't believe the nonsense the players constantly say in the website about playoffs!!! Still believe in GJ and will throw my season ticket in the river lemon if he's sacked or goes of own accord!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Can we just get back to the point of this thread - I for one am not interested in personal spats. I do, however, welcome views on the football.

I thought we were outplayed for all but the first and last 5 minutes of the match. In the first 5 minutes we had our only serious attempt of the first half and three corners in succession. In the last we scored two goals. In between we conceded three, should have conceded another three and had a paltry 6 other attempts, mostly insipid affairs.

Can't understand why any of our defenders could be nominated for MOTM - every time Halifax bothered to take the ball to the edge of our penalty area they had us chasing shadows. Although I was critical of Armani Little in the last game for his profligacy I thought he was our only player to keep pushing forward, with little support from the rest of the team, scoring yet another goal - my MOTM by a country mile.

Yes, we are now firmly in the relegation mire. I see no reason to undermine the team further by questioning the manager's competence but I thought Klaidos Lolos saved him from a torrent of abuse over his substitutions and increasing lack of structure to our play as the match wore on and we went 3 down.

By the way - was the crowd really as quiet as I thought or was it just that I am due to have an ear de-coke?!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Ok plainmoor78, you've caught me out. I never worked in Psychiatry, never went to university, never did 8 years training to become a mental health nurse. In fact I've never done a day's work in my life. I am 62 years old and have been on the dole since leaving school. I am not married, never have been and don't have any children and I'm still a virgin. I live with my elderly mother who is 105 years old in a 2 bedroom flat in Hele village, Torquay. I have never seen Torquay United play, being on the dole I couldn't afford it, what with my cocaine addiction and smoking 20 a day.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

For God's sake why don't you start your own thread!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

I agree with plainmoor78
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Modgull wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 21:10 Can we just get back to the point of this thread - I for one am not interested in personal spats. I do, however, welcome views on the football.

I thought we were outplayed for all but the first and last 5 minutes of the match. In the first 5 minutes we had our only serious attempt of the first half and three corners in succession. In the last we scored two goals. In between we conceded three, should have conceded another three and had a paltry 6 other attempts, mostly insipid affairs.

Can't understand why any of our defenders could be nominated for MOTM - every time Halifax bothered to take the ball to the edge of our penalty area they had us chasing shadows. Although I was critical of Armani Little in the last game for his profligacy I thought he was our only player to keep pushing forward, with little support from the rest of the team, scoring yet another goal - my MOTM by a country mile.

Yes, we are now firmly in the relegation mire. I see no reason to undermine the team further by questioning the manager's competence but I thought Klaidos Lolos saved him from a torrent of abuse over his substitutions and increasing lack of structure to our play as the match wore on and we went 3 down.

By the way - was the crowd really as quiet as I thought or was it just that I am due to have an ear de-coke?!
You're not wrong Modgull about the crowd, it was flat when goals 2 and 3 went in not only did the players seem to give up (until the last 5mins) but the crowd did too

The only singing from our fans in the 2nd half was "Torquay get battered" and "you're nothing special, we lose every week"
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I thought we were relatively comfortable in the first half, without looking massively threatening ourselves. We were definitely better than against Dover.

Second half we never got going before they had scored their two. Slew's second was a great finish and Waters reacted first to the rebound.

It took us a long time to recover from that but we came back into the game on the last 15 mins with the substitutes making a difference.

I actually though the defence didn't do too badly apart from the Waters goal when they fell asleep. Wynter made some good covering challenges that surely would have resulted in goals and Macdonald also made some good saves. Wynter also reasonable with the ball.

The team were very quiet early second half though and I thought Hall might have been geeing then up a bit more.

Going forward we still lack a little and we don't seem to have anyone who can go past a player except Lolos when he came on.

Lapslie was poor today. Off the pace and gave the ball away to easily.

Fans have very short memories if they think this is the worst team we've had for a long time. Crikey.

Stick with it. Long way to go, we'll be fine with GJ at the helm.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Modgull wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 21:17 For God's sake why don't you start your own thread!
Wholeheartedly agree! Maybe on a different site!