National League Torquay United v Dagenham & Redbridge Plainmoor 15/12/20 7.45pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

National League Torquay United v Dagenham & Redbridge Plainmoor 15/12/20 7.45pm KO

Post by Trojan 67 »

Last edited by Louis on 14 Dec 2020, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected date
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I hope this post will not be seen as negative but I have to ask the question.

What arrangements are in place to test the Dagenham team and Management team who I guess are all based in the London area which is seeing

a massive spike in Covid infections?

Do both teams undergo testing on match days? Just asking.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Don’t really know but I assume weekly at least. Stevenage (not a million miles away from Dagenham) have some staff who have tested positive (Exeter city were due to play them at the weekend so that game is off). Wasn’t the Stockport v Sutton game called off at the last minute last week, so I guess there is still time for tonights game to go the same way?
So maybe they are tested before any game?
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

At least now I can take my flask of coffee in for half time. Someone is listening !
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

My first match of the season. Looking forward to it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Wont be there, will listening in and hoping for another 3 points :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Very poor first half, the formation is just not working. I know the have players out, but for me we need to start winning the midfield battle. Randell looks lost without Hall. Evans and Andrews need to step it up. Waters on for Buse and go to back three would be my call.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later - this one was just not going to go for us. Well done to Dagenham for their valiant effort defending the onslaught.

So, time to take stock - 14 games and top of the league - even if all the teams with games in hand won their matches we would still remain top.

So even with the lost today. I could not be more prouder of the boys for what they have given us up to this point in the season. I am sure there is more to come.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with Nick's description of the first half,Johnson had very few starting options and we were unbalanced, Buse was taken out of the firing line at half time,some may say tactically but he was out of his depth playing at full back and it showed. Kerr and Warren you would think had never played together. Second half and Dagenham being down to ten was always going to be an uphill battle especially when they had everyone behind the ball. But we battered them in much the same vein as the maidenhead game. Little made so much difference, he sees the pass long before anyone else . This is a hiccup, nothing more, but we have seen in the last two games that we have a preferred starting eleven and when they are not available we do not function very well.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We didn't play well and struggled to make clear chances against Dagenham's massed defence but had enough opportunities to win it and didn't take them.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We failed to beat 10 men but probably one of the most one sided second hlaves of football I have ever seen. Maybe we missed a few chances but desperately needed something to drop for us in the box. On another day we would surely have scored 3 at least in the second half.

Think Dagenham fluked the win more than anything else and ultimately got out of jail. Bit of a rest from the league now and with the possible return of Sherring, Wynter, Moxey and then Hall after boxing day we could really be spoilt for choice.

Really frustrating to have lost in that manner tonight but I would say grounds for optimism going into the xmas/new year program.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

It may have been one-sided, Terry, but I have rarely seen a keeper so untroubled by an apparently rampant opposition attack. I think he only had to make one athletic save - the rest were gently side-footed at him by our powder-puff attacks. The statistics were 16 attempts with 8 on target whereas they, I think, had just 3 attempts and one on target for their goal. I think we lacked Hall's leadership today - we needed someone to remind the team that going long was just playing into Dagenham's hands.

On the other hand I had to admire the Dagenham defence - they were awesome in the second half and they managed the game well after they went down to 10.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Whydoibother »

Our missing full back didn't help a tall. Buse needed at the moment could have been sent off with being up against pace. Most of the defence were poor tonight. Still should have got something from the game. Cameron has to be central defender Saturday. This defence will get shredded by yeovil. Moxey apparently is close to a return in press but never fit
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

You kind knew this was going to happen, Just as we started feeling confident and dreaming this could be the year. You can always rely on Torquay to bring everyone back down to earth with a big bump.
Very disappointing result, One consolation still top onwards and upwards..