FC Halifax V Torquay United 2/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

desperado wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 08:02 We are right in this now and Garys got the momentum going like last season , we are scoring goals for fun and the players must be hungry for another title. He has gradually improved the team despite a fair few injuries, Cundy has been a great signing and now Cameron can see what he's doing they are forming a good partnership. Whitfield has been terrific and Buse and Vincent have been full of energy and slick passing and exceeded my expectations. With Janneh back the goals should keep coming, I said at the start of the season that Reid couldn't be expected to get 30 goals again but expected him to get 20 plus . At this rate he is going to get close again. Just hope he and the club reject all offers in January , getting back in the League is far more important.
Couldn't agree more, excellent comment
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

DWB wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 19:48 Whisper it quietly , but there is even a chance we could go top next time out in two weeks time! On paper at least, we have the “easiest” of games compared to the four teams above us. While we are home to Sutton (23rd), current leaders Bromley are at home to in form Harrogate (6th) and both FC Halifax (3rd) and Barrow (4th) have tough looking away games at Woking (8th) and Notts County (7th) respectively. If results do go our way we could be top of the table by the time Yeovil take to the field at 5.20 in the BT Sport game - and even they have a tough one at home to Dover (12th) who boast the best away record in the League with 6 wins and 1 draw in their 9 away games. Getting ahead of myself, I know but it COULD happen :scarf:
By the way, I notice that SkyBet now have us as 9/2 favourites to win the League !!! They are out of kilter with most of the other bookies though who generally see us as 4th or 5th favourites at odds of 7/1 or 8/1.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Chris B wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 22:56 Outstanding win today. Prior to this afternoon, I'd seen two defeats and no goals for. Well, no danger, it was incredibly convincing at The Shay. Our interplay going forward was exceptional for long periods, at times reminscent of the incisivie possession during Leroy's stellar season.

Speaking to locals after the game, it seems they were missing their captain and defensive linchpin Brown. However, I'd be amazed if he would've been able to hold his team together against our frontline. Reid was simply brilliant. Two years ago, he fired our equaliser at Halifax, but cut a confused and maligned figure. Now, he guarantees goals. More than that, he occupied their defenders, held the ball and supplied the right ball at the right moment (for his second and Kalala's goal). His partnership with Janneh - great to have him back, but how did he not make it 3 in the first half?! - could be devastating before the new year.

It felt like a real collective effort today, and Johnson and the team include the fans in that with the celebrations. Of course it'd be good to avoid conceding goals, and we do seem susceptible to direct wing play and scrambles in our box. In reality, though, a team above us in the table mustered a 10min spell straight after a half time rollicking and a consolation when the game was safe. Job done. Great to be part of the Yellow Army - [highlight=yellow]viva the Yorkshire Gulls![/highlight]
Well said mate! =D
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 03 Nov 2019, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Another great away day! :clap:
I was hoping for a performance like I saw at Stockport rather than Notts County and I wasnt disappointed!
Great all round team performance and Reidy was brilliant.
Special mention the the midfield - Whitfield, Buse and Vincent - all played well. Defending still a bit of an issue.
Another great turnout from the Yellow Army who were in good voice as usual!
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Why was Duku not on the bench yesterday?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Sorry to all of those Torquay fans who were believing for a quiet mid-table season. We are either up the top or down the bottom. I didn't think that we were going to be fighting for survival at the beginning of the season, so promotion it was and promotion it is. We have a real chance of going up this season. With Gary Johnson and this team, it's certainly possible.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

grockle wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 16:35 Why was Duku not on the bench yesterday?
Probably because we don’t need him and tbh do we, needs to go on loan
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 18:06 Probably because we don’t need him and tbh do we, needs to go on loan
....you could have left off the last two words :keepie:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just watched the Highlights.
I loved the 4th goal. After a headed clearance from a Halifax corner only Jamie Reid and Kalvin Kalala touched the ball before it arrived in the Halifax net.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Watching the Official tv highlights, I immediately noticed the two large empty stands. Photographs of the ground from a distance, or from the air, make the ground look impressive, but on closer viewing, via the highlights, I could see quite clearly that these empty stands were decrepit. I wondered whether or not they were out-of-bounds, as it were, perhaps due to safety reasons. This is only a speculation, and perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

wivelgull wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 17:46 Watching the Official tv highlights, I immediately noticed the two large empty stands. Photographs of the ground from a distance, or from the air, make the ground look impressive, but on closer viewing, via the highlights, I could see quite clearly that these empty stands were decrepit. I wondered whether or not they were out-of-bounds, as it were, perhaps due to safety reasons. This is only a speculation, and perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong.
If you look at the video again you will see that the stand opposite the main stand was being used as a bike rack.

I remember going to the Shay way back in the '60s or early '70s and there was a bus depot overlooking the ground behind where that stand now is. The crowd was thin as usual (I don't mean Lowry matchstick types) as it seemed that a lot of people were stood in the depot watching for free. We won that one too (1 - 0 if I recall).