Seating issues

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Seating issues (otherwise known as Brucie v Matt)

Post by brucie »

I mentioned last year about the numbering system on tickets in Bristows Bench. Yesterday I arrived late about two minutes to three. I found that there was someone sitting in my numbered seat. I had to move seats twice within the first five minutes of the game because people insisted on sitting in the correct seats. It was chaotic during the first ten minutes with latecomers looking for their seats.
Clearly the stewards cannot/or will not enforce the seating policy. Its probably the former as it would be impossible for them to run around checking for everyone's seat number.
I just don't understand the numbered seat policy at all really - it just leads to bad feeling if someone insisted on sitting in their allocated seat.
Surely it would be better done on a first come first served basis ie provided there is no reserved sticker on it you can sit on it.
It used to work well enough in the old grandstand even in the busiest of matches and it is far easier for late comers to just identify where there are spare seats.
Its also a fairer system whereby those arriving early can take advantage of the best available seats. :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't want to derail this thread, but, Terry, mate, why not just ask those in your allocated seat to move? Others do it to you, why not do it to others? If everyone sits only in their seat, then the system works.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

brucie wrote:I just don't understand the numbered seat policy at all really - it just leads to bad feeling if someone insisted on sitting in their allocated seat.
Surely it would be better done on a first come first served basis ie provided there is no reserved sticker on it you can sit on it.
It used to work well enough in the old grandstand even in the busiest of matches and it is far easier for late comers to just identify where there are spare seats.
Its also a fairer system whereby those arriving early can take advantage of the best available seats.
What about when 5 or 6 of you get a block of seats because you want to sit together? Are you just supposed to shrug your shoulders and try and find another block of seats? Just ask whoever's in your seat to move. If they wont, go and ask a steward to move them...
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

intresting, i normally stand on the popside but went with my son on the bench yesterday for a change, on asking the female steward if its was a free for all or should i sit where the number states she replied sit where you like and move if requested, i had to move twice so in future will sit where the number states, perhaps the club could make this clear to fans.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't want to derail this thread, but, Terry, mate, why not just ask those in your allocated seat to move? Others do it to you, why not do it to others? If everyone sits only in their seat, then the system works.

Matt.
Agree Matt. If I book a ticket for the bench online then I select my seat in advance based on the seating plan and taking into account where I would like to sit. If I get there and someone is in my seat I will ask them nicely to move, if they don't i'll kick off. Simple as. It isn't unreasonable to ask someone sitting in your allocated seat to move. If this isn't going to be enforced then what is the point in picking a seat number online?

Reasonable people will move when you ask them politely. If they don't then they're in a bit of trouble.

I had a bizarre case of this in our play off second leg at Shrewsbury a few years back when I stood at the back behind the singers and then a bloke, his missus and young lad (about 8 years old) came and sat where I was because they insisted on sitting in the seats they had been allocated. I found it weird for an away game, especially as there was lots of space at the front and the lad couldn't see a thing behind all the yellow army stood up but they were well within their rights to do so and I moved along straight away.

Tell 'em to shift Tezza or face the consequences. :devil: :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

If you've booked online, the club could put a reserved sticker on before they open the gates. I agree with Brucie, allocated tickets which you have been randomly assigned when you get there don't mean anything to the person, so a first come first served basis for tickets bought on the day makes much more sense than people being moved after theyve sat down.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

It can only go one way or the other. Either everyone must stick to their allocated seats or its a free for all for everyone except ST holders.

If you have any ambiguity, it just wont work.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I don't see the problem. If i've booked a seat, i'll bloody well sit in it! If i'm sat in someone else's seat, I expect to be moved on. No need for reserved stickers and all that nonsense. Common sense people.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

Thank you all for your comments.
We have to operate a system of allocated seats because as has been stated on here by other people, fans can purchase seats on line and from Main Reception/Ticket Office and expect to sit in those seats on match days. The ways of dealing with finding a stranger in your seat have been well documented on here under the general theme of common sense.
The Membership Scheme is certainly not being kept a secret but I accept that there are other channels that can be used so thank you Tony for some more suggestions.
I will ask Tim to publicise both of these issues of concern using all the outlets open to him.
Regards,
Andrew
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Got to disagree. It was chaos on saturday. I am not afraid to ask anyone to move out of my seat but really I don't want to go running to a steward if they won't move - quite often there a groups of people sat together and quite reasonably having forked out £20 they probably want to sit together and enjoy the match with their mates (thats what is all about surely) . If the stewards are telling people they can sit anywhere and then move if asked I cannot see how that can be the correct advice.
Personally I have never seen a steward ask anyone to move seats.
Quite often I attend with either friends or one or both of my sons - if we cannot end up sitting together its an issue which will put me off going to be honest.
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

Lets not let common sense get in the way of a good rant! The seating arrangements are easy to observe, if your in someone elses seat and they turn up and want it then you get out and give it to them, the seat that is! If people want to sit together then you must be bothered to ensure this happens by arranging it earlier! Common sense, again! If you can`t be 4rsed then bad bl00dy luck! If someone is so ignorant that they wont get out of your pre-booked seat then let the grief be with them, get a steward and have them removed, it`s fricken simples! The stewards don`t tell people it`s a free for all and don`t advise them they can just sit anywhere, where you got that idea from is anyones guess! And finally, none of this will stop you going, you whined and whinged about far worse and still travel all the way down from North Devon to see a game so stop trying to use what we all know as empty threats! Dan wouldn`t fanny around like this, let him deal with it for you, he`s got he`s head screwed on the right way! Doesn`t get it from you does he!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

brucie wrote:Got to disagree. It was chaos on saturday. I am not afraid to ask anyone to move out of my seat but really I don't want to go running to a steward if they won't move - quite often there a groups of people sat together and quite reasonably having forked out £20 they probably want to sit together and enjoy the match with their mates (thats what is all about surely) . If the stewards are telling people they can sit anywhere and then move if asked I cannot see how that can be the correct advice.
Personally I have never seen a steward ask anyone to move seats.
Quite often I attend with either friends or one or both of my sons - if we cannot end up sitting together its an issue which will put me off going to be honest.
Very good points there Brucie and ultimately it is the clubs responsibility to ensure that each person is sitting in their allocated seat or indeed making sure offending parties will move when asked by the original ticketholder. Any issues relating to seating should be passed onto the stewards and I would like to think that they would be assertive enough and decent enough to resolve the problem and if that means moving a person from a party of 12 to an unreserved seat then so be it. If they cannot do this then you should complain to the club about the particular steward, challenge the club's policies regarding seating bookings and then demand a senior club official attend the situation so that they can resolve the problem that a steward has failed to do.

Personally if I had booked a single seat and turned up to find a group of people sat where I was meant to i'd sit somewhere else so long as there was seats available in the vicinity but I can understand how much of a problem this could cause should you turn up with 2 or 3 family members say and all your seats are sat in. To be honest it's about common sense and I reckon for the single fan (like myself) it's no big deal and i'll just look for another seat but for a family say then it is the responsibility of the stewards to move the people whose seat numbers don't correspond. Simple as that.

I'd just like to add that I don't know any of the stewards at Plainmoor and i'm sure they all do a fantastic job and this post is not a dig at stewards, it is simply requesting their assistance in resolving matters that are in their employment remit.

Also can't argue with most of your points about the seating issues Geezer although I do think that if you have reserved a seat then it shouldn't matter what time you turn up you should still be able to sit in the seat you purchased so getting there early (although advisable and I can never understand people who rock up at 2.58pm making their way to their seats - not one or two but feckin hundreds! Can't you set off earlier or not have that last pint? ) shouldn't really matter.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As always Brucie is right. What I like about Brucie is that there's no waffle, he tells it as it is. In this case the case is simple - something is badly wrong with the seating arrangements and something needs to be done about it. It's no good relying on the public. Tell them what to do - don't ask them!
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

wivelgull wrote:As always Brucie is right.
Well I never saw that coming!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

[quote="wivelgull"]As always Brucie is right.
:red:

:slap: