Current opinions on Clark Osborne and Gaming International

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Current opinions on Clark Osborne and Gaming International

Post by moneylife »

Hi gulls, Finally we are seeing an excellent string of results from our club. The board funded the change of manager and several decent signings (players & staff). Personally I never dreamt we would even pay out to sack Owers and get anyone better. I am pleasantly surprised.

I don't know everything there is to know about TUFC for sure, but I've been a regular at Plainmoor since the mid 90s. (I haven't been able to go for several years as I moved to Plymouth and pretty much skint all the time sadly, but I listen to every match on radio).

My feelings are we was skating on wafer-thin ice before Osborne came along (genuine fears we could have ceased trading IMO), and I for one am pleased with how he has helped us turn things around.

Just wondered if anyone else feels the same, and if not what is your reason for not liking him? (I'm aware he plans to move from Plainmoor if possible, but is that 100% a bad move???)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Ask Bristol Rovers, Poole Speedway, Swindon Speedway or better still ask Reading Speedway fans.

Enjoy the current seemingly upturn in fortunes but trust anything he says at your peril. He's not here for the benefit of TUFC.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by moneylife »

I agree, much of the signs point to it being fishy. But honestly, was it worse than the alternatives? (Of course I'd love to see a rich millionnaire lifelong Torquay fan, or some mega billionnaire investor who wants to push us up the leagues. But they weren't exactly chomping at the bite when the club became available.)

Maybe I am being naive but Im trying to think positively about it
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm not knocking your positivity and nobody really knows where we'd be without his involvement but I think about how he acquired the Club and how Mel Hayman was complicit and to me it stinks.

Like I say, enjoy it while there's something to enjoy.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by moneylife »

yea i agree it does smell fishy. All i can say is I really hope youre wrong haha :) . Maybe he will sell up for a profit in a year or two and we will get some massive investor... it could happen :)
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Encouraged but suspicious!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 15:21 Ask Bristol Rovers, Poole Speedway, Swindon Speedway or better still ask Reading Speedway fans.

Enjoy the current seemingly upturn in fortunes but trust anything he says at your peril. He's not here for the benefit of TUFC.
This.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

We've already had a lifelong rich millionaire & look how she got stitched up with her naivety & far too trusting nature !
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

We've already had a lifelong rich millionaire & look how she got stitched up with her naivety & far too trusting nature !
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

I would be interested in seeing the accounts for this year. Investment in a decent manager who has not actually changed the squad too much but clearly knows how to motivate players and has the tactical awareness not only to win games but to change things when they aren't going well. With almost 2500 at the last game and bumper crowds expected over Christmas I would be interested so know if we are breaking even. Are we paying the wages of the Bristol lads? As said before time will tell what the future holds for for now enjoy the football!!!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I grudgingly accept that they've done the right thing in supporting the team by hiring Johnson and bringing in loan players, but I'm also extremely sceptical of their end game. I still believe they're only involved because they see a big profit at the end of the road, and the success on the playing side will likely be used as their bona fides when they make more of an effort to convince the council to let them do what they will with the ground.

I've said before I don't have an issue with an owner making money from the club as long as the on-field side is the main priority. I don't even see a problem with exploring the possibility of a new ground; Plainmoor is ok for non-league and probably League 2, but if we're ever to aspire higher the club will need non-gameday revenues. It's just that the track record of GI suggests that they're not in it for the long haul, or to be good custodians of the club - they just to build thier houses and swan off with the profits without the actual need to build a stadium.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that we've all got poor old Clarke Osbourne wrong and that he has finally seen the joy that owning a football club can bring, and that he'll continue to support the club as a proper chairman should. I don't buy it yet, though - it'll take a lot more than 3 months of decent results and an upswing in positivity for me to believe it, and I'll be on guard against it for longer than I would be with anybody else, given the laughable conduct of the owners prior to September 2018
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Osborne has no interest in football. His only interest in Torquay United is as a route to making money from developing Plainmoor.

We can be pleased that in the short term he seems to have decided that he will be best served by the team being successful but I have little doubt that under his ownership the longer term existence of Torquay United is at great risk.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

It's quite simple really,
Mr Osborne, planning permission WILL NOT BE GIVEN FOR YOUR HOUSE BUILDING PROJECT until a fit for purpose stadium is ready for TUFC to use at the same rent revenue expenditure they currently enjoy at Plainmoor with a substantial lease set in stone. E.g. 100 year lease.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I am thankful that Osborne saved us from administration. He freely admits he knows nothing about football and after making mistakes with Harrop and Owers he has now got some experience at the helm and for this I am grateful - it shows he is a learner who can admit when he's got it wrong and is not afraid to make the necessary changes to get things on the right track.
I think we do need to move away from Plainmoor for the long term good of the football club. Most Charimen from Bateson forward have thought the same, none of them have managed it though.
I am fully aware of Osborne's track record when it comes to owning sports clubs and what happens when he promises new stadia. I very much have my eyes wide open and continue to support the TUST, ready incase help is needed. But at the moment I am happy to support the owner. We will see throughout the course of next year with council elections and hopefully promotion just what happens.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PhilGull wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 14:22 I am thankful that Osborne saved us from administration. He freely admits he knows nothing about football and after making mistakes with Harrop and Owers he has now got some experience at the helm and for this I am grateful - it shows he is a learner who can admit when he's got it wrong and is not afraid to make the necessary changes to get things on the right track.
I think we do need to move away from Plainmoor for the long term good of the football club. Most Charimen from Bateson forward have thought the same, none of them have managed it though.
I am fully aware of Osborne's track record when it comes to owning sports clubs and what happens when he promises new stadia. I very much have my eyes wide open and continue to support the TUST, ready incase help is needed. But at the moment I am happy to support the owner. We will see throughout the course of next year with council elections and hopefully promotion just what happens.
That's a fair post Phil, but I am (like many others) unable to trust him on his past exploits and non builds with regard to any type of sports stadia.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468