Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond 25/08/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

Big target man with a presence needed, used to enjoy watching Rene Howe trundling up the field and burying them. Mighty Eunan O’kane running about and the brick wall that was Brian Saah and Aaron Downs at back. Good times. GO OUT.
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

midtable wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 01:08 The Herald Express reporters tend to be neutral in assessing the match only looking for positives.
BUT here are some headlines "another hapless performance" and "dismal gulls slump to woeful defeat"

At least they have a poll for those that think Mr Gary should be sacked https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... n--1938323

It is the manager's team so if he needs loans then he has completely misjudged the players he signed or can't motivate them, either option leaves him looking foolish.
I see that the HE poll results show 94% want Owers to leave! 6% want Owers to stay, although I expect that will be Osborne; Harrop, the Mayor and other 'finger in the pie' mobsters.

94% is a pretty damming indictment on Owers managerial ability.

I would suggest Owers has now lost the trust of the majority of supporters. Regrettably for him trust does not come with a refill. When trust is broken, sorry means nothing. Once trust is gone, it takes forever to repair.

Make it happen Mr Owers - shock everyone! and walk out the door.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Not going to happen sadly,
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We seem to reach a new low point every few months. This is obviously the lowest one in our history. It cannot go on. That 'performance' was an embarrassment to the name of Torquay , United. Owers baffles me. How can you expect to score goals with Reid and Banton wide and Williams in the middle on his own when we have no midfielders getting up to support. All we do is tap it around across or back in the defence and then hit a long ball forward to no target man
Is this how he tells them to play. We need a couple of hard working wide midfielders who can cross the ball with Keating or Williams playing of a target man. The only time we looked dangerous yesterday was when Keating got down the right and produced a great cross which Williams should have scored from. He had his critics but how we
could do with a Danny Stevens now. Our attempted attacking play yesterday was pitiful
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Did we have any centre midfielders yesterday? If they were there I’d like to know there stats because I don’t think either completed a pass, made a tackle or even broke into a sprint! Waste of space and I expect hall is on a decent wage!
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Owers out.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

desperado wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 14:24 . . . how we could do with . . . Danny Stevens now . . .
:red:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Take it you don't agree ! Well I think he was a bit better than the garbage we have now. Was a regular in a league two play off team and scored 10 goals that season
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 17:42 Said I'd wait to 10-12 game mark to make my judgement, well forget it, times up. Same as last season, different set of players slow off the blocks, why can't Ower's seem to get any kind of first half performance out of any team he picks, everything he does from half time onwards, is reactionary, reacting to a problem, and it's not just the odd game, it's every game, so if your having manage like that in football, then you, the manager are the problem.

Because your man-management, training, tactics, team talks, are not working end of. movement off the ball non-existent, passing to slow, pressing the opposition not there, get into go shooting positions, no shot, players that look like they don't know what their job is and it goes on and on. The atmosphere has gone toxic already, the very early season team spirit looks like it's on the way out already, with players blaming each other.

Someone shouted at Dickson 'pass the ball' he turned and shouted back 'who to' and got booed for it, but he was spot on.

Harrop, and others from the club, I know you read the forums, and social media, enough is enough, this can NOT be allowed to continue, step and prove you really do care.

Just to add, I do nopt blame the players, saw more than enough in pre-season, and in the early games to know there's more than enough in there to do well at this level, but they have to be managed right, and thats clealry not happening.
As SPB posted, Dave Forever is spot on as he usually is. Dickson's frustrations boiled over when he responded to shouts from the crowd. He was right - there was no movement off the ball and he had nobody to pass to. H & R were very limited, to put it kindly. But they wanted the ball more and showed a much greater team spirit.

Even though we were supposed to be playing 4 - 4 - 2, we were not getting players forward. Hall and Dickson seem to be mainly defensive midfielders. I'm still trying to work out what Nabi is. Few players came out with any credit. Keating, Cameron, Davis and Hall were about the only ones. Dickson and Reid never gave up trying. I watched the demeanour of the players yesterday. They are not enjoying their football. They are not a close-knit team - arguing and accusing amongst themselves. As others have posted, it was a mistake to make Williams captain. He is no leader. In my opinion, the captaincy should go to either Hall or Cameron. Like Forever, I don't blame the players. It is the system, or lack of a system, that they are being asked to play. I think Brett Williams could be suffering from HK Syndrome. Like Harry Kane, he can't score during August (although Harry himself has recovered this season).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 20:34 It's been four years since I moved to Whitby and in all that time I have followed United mainly through this forum. As the years have gone by the comments and descriptions of games have got bleaker and bleaker. The last two seasons have seen some bad un's, but I never thought I'd read such comments as these which have appeared after this (Hampton) match. But every time I say to myself 'nothing can be as bad as these (comments)' worse come along. Surely it can't get as bad as this again!
You're right Wivel. Every time we say it can't get any worse, it feckin well does. But I'm worried that the Whitby manager is a Gary Owen clone. Three games so far. All 1 - 0 - two wins and one defeat. But at least the seasiders are in a play off position. ;-)
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

desperado wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 16:22 Take it you don't agree ! Well I think he was a bit better than the garbage we have now. Was a regular in a league two play off team and scored 10 goals that season
Danny Stevens was frustrating but overall he was ok for Torquay. He scored against Chesterfield in the FA Cup about 10 years ago which contributed to knocking them out which made my week back then!

Also remember him opening the scoring at York in a 2-0 win. Oastler tapping in the second.

Der der der! Danny Stevens!

Where is he now anyway?
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Owers needs to stop being stubborn and bring Gowling back, we’re quit clearly lacking a CB.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 18:16 Owers needs to stop being stubborn and bring Gowling back, we’re quit clearly lacking a CB.
While he's at it he might as well bring JPP back as well as we don't have any strikers :slap:
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

One minute Owers states he is happy with his squad, the next he spends all his time swearing at them. How difficult should it be for a professional manager with full-time pros to play to the strengths of the squad members? How can less well-known teams consistently come and show us how to be organised and to play as a team?
How can a professional manager send his players out to produce Sunday League hit and hope air ball. Shame on you GO.
Can we please find a manager/coach who will try to play some vestige of football basics. In this league we should be controlling matches and easily making sufficient realistic goal-scoring opportunities from open play and sensible crosses/balls into danger areas where the opposing keeper actually has to do something!
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

Was like watching kids football. Only real bit of quality came from Davis and Dickson with the ball. Like halls and Cameron also rest are average cs players at best