Who stays? Who goes?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 20:10 He could have shown some balls by resigning, but there we are.
Why would he when the owner has said he is here for the forthcoming season. At least Owers is not messing about regarding the retaining list, but let's face it, the list won't be long and I'm surprised it will take until 6pm Saturday to decide. Dorel will be my choice and only that.
Lucy
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by MuzDog »

Dave Thomas on the podcast believed Clarke, Gowling, Pittman and Reid all have another year to run on their contracts. Add to that, Ruairí Keating who told the Mayo News at Christmas that he signed a two-year deal in the summer...
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Re: the same podcast, Dave Thomas was going to say more about Jakub Sokolik - but he never returned to the topic. Has he recovered from his mystery ailment I wonder? Re: Ruairi Keating, that's fine by me if he's going to stay on, I think he might actually do rather well in the NLS if given the chance.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

lucy6lucy wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 00:00 ...... I'm surprised it will take until 6pm Saturday to decide.
I doubt thai is the case Lucy. I would think it is all done and dusted and 6 pm is the announcement time. With this lot we he could not announce it today as nobody would turn up to play tomorrow!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes be happy for Keating to see out his contract. He is at least a trier unlike that wiggy **** Gowling who will surely have his contact paid up.

Presumably that was what his non performance was all about on Tuesday night. I never want to see him in a Torquay shirt again.

Pittman will no doubt get paid up as well. Goodness knows what has happened to Sokolik - isn't he ill?

On the subject of disappearing players what on earth has happened to Gosling? - did he ever return from Gibraltar?
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Quite frankly, apart from the joy of wondering who would want to stay and who would be wanted, it really doesn't matter whom GO signs or re-signs given that he has had most of a season to make us into a professional outfit on the pitch - he has failed.
Most visiting teams have shown organisation, teamwork, and composure, whereas we have resembled a bunch of uncoordinated individuals.
GO's 5-3-2 formation has failed - the 5 at the back have conceded goals far too easily, the midfield has not dominated or controlled games, the strikers have not linked together and have not found the back of the net. We have not played ourselves into positions to make easy chances. We have even failed to convert 3 penalties.
So if GO remains, and plays the same system lacking in cohesion next season, how are we going to win games in whichever league or cup competition we find ourselves.?
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

brucie wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 11:18 Yes be happy for Keating to see out his contract. He is at least a trier unlike that wiggy **** Gowling who will surely have his contact paid up.

Presumably that was what his non performance was all about on Tuesday night. I never want to see him in a Torquay shirt again.

Pittman will no doubt get paid up as well. Goodness knows what has happened to Sokolik - isn't he ill?

On the subject of disappearing players what on earth has happened to Gosling? - did he ever return from Gibraltar?
Gosling and Pittman - two players who you would think are amongst our highest earners and we've seen next to nothing from them. You can throw Clarke into that category and, to a lesser extent, Gowling.

I have a little sympathy for Owers but that's a big chunk of budget tied up in those frauds.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MuzDog wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 08:34 Dave Thomas on the podcast believed Clarke, Gowling, Pittman and Reid all have another year to run on their contracts. Add to that, Ruairí Keating who told the Mayo News at Christmas that he signed a two-year deal in the summer...
No need to believe these guys were given 2 year contracts when they signed, whether they are brought out remains to be seen. .Aside from Keating and Reid the others are wise old journeymen so the wont be brought out cheap (whatever their relationship with the manager) so it is possible they may remain. Difficult one to call.

So for retained I am going to guess at;

Clarke ( contracted and Dorel if he will sign)
Young (think he prefers location than football advancement)
Williams (Williams is a Journeyman coming to the end of his career - likes location)
Keating (contracted - Owers likes him and expect he is not that expensive to keep)
Reid (contracted but think Owers would have kept him anyway.)

The Grey Area !
Gowling (on the basis of a two year contract)
Pittman (on the basis of a two year contract)

Although I would prefer Davis and McGinty to stay ( yes I said it) rather than Gowling and Pittman. Another grey area but given McGinty war of words with fans over the last few matches think he just may have had a gutful. Davis is just to good for NLS.

The rest will be gone, either to another club or shown the door
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The issue is that you don't want players like Gowling and Pittman here contracts or not, they are rotten apples.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The question for me is, why would any player WANT to stay with us? We are a pathetic excuse of a football club at the moment, at our lowest point ever in history, with a **** moron for a chairman, general manager and manager.

Any player should take one look at us and think “thanks but no thanks, not for all the money in the world”

Would you, as a professional, or semi professional footballer, want to play for us next season? I know I wouldn’t.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 18:36 The question for me is, why would any player WANT to stay with us? We are a pathetic excuse of a football club at the moment, at our lowest point ever in history, with a **** moron for a chairman, general manager and manager.

Any player should take one look at us and think “thanks but no thanks, not for all the money in the world”

Would you, as a professional, or semi professional footballer, want to play for us next season? I know I wouldn’t.
Which means we are only going to get our pick of the players nobody else wants. I fear our downward spiral hasn't ended yet.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

The key to this issue is to have a manager who can motivate players and make them want to come and play for Torquay and achieve success.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just take a look at York. They have had the same problem. Stayed full time, signed a load of players who just want the money for the level they are at and the toughness, discipline and desire required to top a league like NLN just isn't there. York have been hoodwinked as will Owers.

Just signing players for 'cash bids' at this level isn't the way to go unless you are Billericay and can sign a boat load of ex Prem players in the twighlight of their careers. Look at Eastleigh. Money doesn't buy success. Often it just attracts footballers who have no intention or desire to achieve.

IMO Torquay should go part time and start looking at players who fit the criteria where they are currently. They need to stabilise and be allowed to grow rather than risk another relegation by Owers signing Tom. Dick and Harry simply because he can. Torquay aren't a big club anymore and they will only attract mercenaries looking for a quick few quid and then move on if we allow that.

Owers could be on a hiding to nothing anyway. Bragging about getting players in for cash bids, staying full time and bleating on about what an experienced bloke he is. This all means he HAS to get promoted and there is no excuse.

Part time football and no budget would have given him an excuse.

Doesn't quite make sense if you believe that CO is out to destroy the club by staying full time and buying players as the above would have been cheaper and excusable. It's all **** weird.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You havn't really got a clue what will happen next season - why don't you just wait and see who he signs.

We don't need to stabilize - we are in the NLS for christ sake.

You might not like it but Torquay ARE a big club at the level they will be at next season.

Clearly if attendances are to be maintained we have to be challenging for promotion next season - of course that will bring pressure on the manager.

You continually berate Owers but he hasn't even signed anybody yet.

Money attracts mercenaries only interested mercenaries looking for a few quid - are you referring to the bunch of no marks that Nicholson signed?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I don't know about Owers 'winning the lottery' with the squad inherited, Pittman & Gowling must've thought they'd won Euro millions when they received their 2 yr offer even though they were perma crocks before they signed.