FA Cup Qualifying - Fourth Round - Torquay v Woking 1-1 - Replay 18/10

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Sparkes is Nichos best signing but Nicho should never have let Harrod go, he was the perfect partner for Blissett. Reid and Blissett play to far apart from each other and Blissett is doing all the link up play where he needs to be in the box, he proved that last season.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:Sparkes is Nichos best signing but Nicho should never have let Harrod go, he was the perfect partner for Blissett. Reid and Blissett play to far apart from each other and Blissett is doing all the link up play where he needs to be in the box, he proved that last season.
I think you're spot on about Matt Harrad but I don't think it was a case of Nicho 'letting him go'. I seem to think that Nicho wanted to sign him but we weren't able to offer the sort of contract he wanted, or he was offered elsewhere - i.e. Wrexham.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote: Always a sensitive issue regarding pricing for these matches, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. What if they halved entry, we would have had to get a break even crowd of 3600 yesterday based on yesterday's attendance. Now that would have been unlikely
Considering the budget price Season Tickets, I don't think yesterday's prices were unfair. Scanning quickly down the list of attendances in the F.A. Cup ties, I think we were the fourth highest and I bet that several 'fair weather' supporters were put off by the heavy rain about lunch time.

I think Forever is right with his post about lack of movement off the ball and also young Sam and Nathan being on a different wavelength when Sam played a good ball through which Blissett made no effort to get to. In Nathan's defence, it was towards the end of the match and he'd been running all match whilst his strike partner doesn't do running. In the first half, there were a couple of low crosses on a plate across the Woking goal - both from Luke Young I think - but there was nobody getting in the box to get on the end of them. I also agree with Arcadia about the lack of width. Last season, we had Butler and Berry bombing up and down the flanks. This season there is only Dan Sparkes, although Verma occasionally ventures up the wing. I think Sparkes is a good signing but I sometimes get the feeling he disappears from games in the second half.

Gallifouco is a good footballer - he always tries to play the ball constructively from defence. His weakness is that he wants too much time on the ball. It seems that he just doesn't think quick enough. Yesterday as he dwelt on the ball, the Woking player was on him like a flash and we all know what happened after that. It isn't the first time he's been caught in possession in dangerous situations.
yellowblackwhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Hargreaves

Post by yellowblackwhite »

Can people not accept we are a poor team, with no finances behind us, we are a part time club masquerading as full time outfit. I support TUFC because they are my local team. Good or bad, I love football and I will still be there come rain or shine, early cup exit, or relegation. Lets be realists, the days of playoff hunting and higher gates are gone for a long while. Sooo suck it up, after all you keep going to the games, or listening to the radio or following the match reports. If you don't like it, then don't do it! Simple!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

yellowblackwhite wrote:Can people not accept we are a poor team, with no finances behind us, we are a part time club masquerading as full time outfit. I support TUFC because they are my local team. Good or bad, I love football and I will still be there come rain or shine, early cup exit, or relegation. Lets be realists, the days of playoff hunting and higher gates are gone for a long while. Sooo suck it up, after all you keep going to the games, or listening to the radio or following the match reports. If you don't like it, then don't do it! Simple!
Torquay are financially challenged like many clubs. Unlike other clubs most away matches require financial commitment other clubs don't need to finance for.
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Stockport away if we beat Woking
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

yellowblackwhite wrote:Can people not accept we are a poor team, with no finances behind us, we are a part time club masquerading as full time outfit. I support TUFC because they are my local team. Good or bad, I love football and I will still be there come rain or shine, early cup exit, or relegation. Lets be realists, the days of playoff hunting and higher gates are gone for a long while. Sooo suck it up, after all you keep going to the games, or listening to the radio or following the match reports. If you don't like it, then don't do it! Simple!
Yes, I see where you're coming from. I look down the Div ONE table - Rochdale, Bury, Port Vale, Bristol Rvrs, Northampton, Oxford, Peterborough, Walsall, Gillingham, Southend, Swindon, Shrewsbury ...... all sides we used to regularly play against. Now we're playing the likes of feckin North Ferriby and Guiseley. But we football supporters are a hopeful lot. Whichever team we support, we always hope the next match will bring a win.

Nicho, I believe, is salvaging something from the wreckage which is Torquay United AFC. I'm sure we won't have relegation worries this season, so that's a step in the right direction. We can take encouragement from a team like Grimsby who were down in the Conference/National league for many seasons (they may have even dropped lower, I'm not sure). Now they are in the play off places in Div 2. Things can change quite quickly. Whether it will happen at Plainmoor, who knows ?
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

we have a decent number of midfield players so lets flood it, stop the Woking wing backs and drop the lazy Williams

---------------Moore
-----Verma Mcginty GG LRT
------Richards - Lathrope
-----Sparks-- Young -- Ward
--------------Blisset
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:we have a decent number of midfield players so lets flood it, stop the Woking wing backs and drop the lazy Williams

---------------Moore
-----Verma Mcginty GG LRT
------Richards - Lathrope
-----Sparks-- Young -- Ward
--------------Blisset
I quite like this line-up, the only problem is that holding the ball up is the weakest part of Blisset's game.
TUST number 080
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Much is made of the fact that we are a young side, and inexperienced, making the kinds of mistakes that more experienced players would have learned not to make. I don't accept this excuse. Even young players should know the basic skills required, along with the laws of the game. But there are certain members of the team (we hardly have a squad) who appear to lack these basic skills which they should already possess. Not only that, they appear to be so lacking in fitness that they almost completely fall away in the second half of games. And the team as a whole have at times appeared to be clueless as to how to play as a team.

I suspect much of this is a question of confidence. Yet confidence and belief in one's own abilities are what separates champions from the rest in any sport and whatever one's age. I've no doubt that Kevin Nicholson has what it takes to turn all this around, to improve individual players and the team as a whole. But it will of course take time and, generally speaking, the tighter the budget the longer it will take.

So we should not expect miracles, but in the current situation the supporters' role is crucial. The manager is doing what he must do. The fans must also play their part: support the team, and take somebody with you to every match.

Oh, and we'll win this one: Woking 1 Torquay 2. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"Much is made of the fact that we are a young side, and inexperienced"

An interesting discussion topic if you think about it.

Can a manager take ANY 12 or 13 professional footballers, AND improve them. Well you would like to think so, BUT I don't think many can actually.

You might identify or be lucky to hit on the right tactics / formation for that set of players.

Don't forget we all have our limits, and maybe a number of this set have reached theirs. That actually goes for anything in life. Why that is is even more complex. Why do some people want to win at all costs, want more money, want more x, want a better TV etc etc etc. And to get these they might do whatever it takes. BUT not everyone is the same, its very easy to say, for example in an interview that all you want to do is the best for your employer, but who really means that. Most people want the best for themselves!

One thing though, even if your skill level has reached its potential, there is no reason that a professional footballer shouldn't be an athlete, and fitness levels can always be bettered. And as a pro footballer should have the motivation for at least that.
TUST MEMBER
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We all have short memories. Last season it took Nicho a while to sort out the team and the key signings in my memory bank were Moore Racchi Harrad and Bliss.

Nicho quickly got rid of Hurst and Marsh last season. InJanuary he may make one or two changes which could have a big impact.

Sometimes one player can transform a team. Racchi had a bit of class and always had time to see a pass. Brett Williams might surprise us but time is running out. After his goal against WBA I had very high hopes that Williams was a terrific signing but so far Bliss and Brett just do not gel.

Football is a funny game and it could all change very quickly. Come on Brett surprise us. You have the ability time to show us all what you can do.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Strange that the BBC Radio Devon link is not up as you can hear our commentator in the background.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Does anyone know where I can find updates tonight? It seems that the 'magic of the FA Cup' only starts with the next round - couldn't find any sites on Saturday that showed latest scores.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Brendan Moore with the third saved penalty in a row.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/