Johnson out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 19:55 This is nonsense even considering asking for Johnsons head, people are talking about Tisdale and Taylor as potential replacements, total rubbish , for one we could not afford them, two their first question would be where is my budget, well, actually you do not have one, three ,why would they take us on, especially so when our so called sunshine supporters slaughter you when you do not win every game in sight. Get real, we are where we are because we have a small budget compared many of the other teams in this league, we are not even one of the bigger teams in this league. Yeovil's Rhys Murphy is probably on more than four of our players combined.
:goodpost:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plymgull wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 19:59 There is no one that we can currently bring in that would be a better choice than GJ. It boggles my mind that people are already calling for his head. The only reason we are in this league and had a strong start is because of him and his ability to get players like Reid to come alive. Gary and the team need our support not this fickle rubbish demanding he go after things get tough. Don't forget part of this losing stream has been due to an insane amount of injuries.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Anyone who seriously thought at the beginning of this season that we would either win this league or gain promotion are out to lunch.

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Reidy28 wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 21:04 Learn your facts, Gary Johnson is the 3rd manger on the highest wages in our league. All this “not being able to afford Tisdale wages” is nonsense.
Why would we want him?
GJ's record is far superior.

TUST Member 468

Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 21:56 Why would we want him?
GJ's record is far superior.
Right then Gary’s record is good when it’s going well, ask yourself why he has been sacked at every club he’s been at? Because when it’s going bad he is unable to turn it around
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Reidy28 wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 21:57 Right then Gary’s record is good when it’s going well, ask yourself why he has been sacked at every club he’s been at? Because when it’s going bad he is unable to turn it around
And Tisdale?

TUST Member 468

Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Bristol City lost their 5th game in 6...does GJ have a bet on with his son about who can lose the most games before getting fired?!
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Gary Johnson has my 100% support. This is not blind faith or some sort of vague hope. GJ has all the experience and contacts to turn this around. The owner is the one we should be encouraging to stick by Gary. Owners can be more fickle than the bedwetting fairies calling for his head. Grow some balls, keep your head and let him get on with it. We have a limited budget which he now has to juggle to free up to allow changes. Expect a shake up.

If there is one mistake GJ has made it's managing the expectations of the fans this season. But that is a fine line. He has to be upbeat enough to attract players here and sell Season Tickets but realistic so as not to get people's hopes up too high. Almost impossible.

I wouldn't read too much into AD taking the press call. GJ was probably too busy giving the hair dryer to Niate and a few others.

Get to 50 points and consolidate for next season. It's not too late for a play off push but 50 points should be our target asap and then evaluate.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

davethegull2 wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 02:51 Gary Johnson has my 100% support. This is not blind faith or some sort of vague hope. GJ has all the experience and contacts to turn this around. The owner is the one we should be encouraging to stick by Gary. Owners can be more fickle than the bedwetting fairies calling for his head. Grow some balls, keep your head and let him get on with it. We have a limited budget which he now has to juggle to free up to allow changes. Expect a shake up.

If there is one mistake GJ has made it's managing the expectations of the fans this season. But that is a fine line. He has to be upbeat enough to attract players here and sell Season Tickets but realistic so as not to get people's hopes up too high. Almost impossible.

I wouldn't read too much into AD taking the press call. GJ was probably too busy giving the hair dryer to Niate and a few others.

Get to 50 points and consolidate for next season. It's not too late for a play off push but 50 points should be our target asap and then evaluate.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

davethegull2 wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 02:51
Absolutely spot on.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

From the love GJ brigade I keep hearing he has so much experience! So many contacts!
If so true with all his experience cannot be not see how bad the defence has been all season?
Give him the benefit of the doubt and he is aware of this problem! Why with his experience does he not find anyone to bring in who can make an impact!
Even the most ardent GJ fan has to agree the current record is shocking and not good enough!
Saturday game may be not a must win. But at the very least a must play. No being 2-0 down after 20 minutes!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 13:44 Absolutely spot on.
I would be happier with 54 points just to be on the safe side. This should be achievable even with our patched-up side.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its so boring listening to how good Yeovil are. **** Yeovil - I couldn't care less. If they beat our full strength team then fair enough but see how they would get on with the injuries that we have suffered. They would be nowhere near the top either.

As for Rhys Murphy - well he was playing in the Conference South last year so saying he is on the wages of four of our players is nonsensical. Plus he was worse than useless when he was on loan here.

Just look at Solihull - they were top of the league until they suffered an injury crisis and look what happened.

Obviously it isn't good enough at the moment, we all know that but judge the manager when he has least got something like his full team back. The amount of injuries we have is ridiculous.

As for Tisdale, well more tosh that we couldn't afford him (even if we did want him)

Outside his comfort zone he failed miserably and his stock has fallen. He's out of work and he is hardly going to manage Man Utd.

It could be argued that he needs is more than we need him. There is some bollocks written on here.

Its not a question of loving Gary Johnson though - its just being realistic. We lost to Yeovil twice due to the lack of personnel we had at our disposal as much as anything else. Add that to some of our players also coming back from long term injuries and really it is unsurprising that we lost really.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Prior to the start of the season, pretty much everybody would have been happy with a season of consolidation in a new league before really (hopefully) pushing for promotion next season. I think Johnson was bullish about our prospects this time around - which he had a right to be, considering we won the NLS at a relative canter after starting badly - but he'll probably have felt the same way.

Being 2 points off the top in November got us all aflutter, but results since then have really pricked that balloon. As things stand, we're probably looking down rather than up, but we're currently 10 points clear of the relegation places (and 6 adrift of playoffs). While the decline in the past 2 months has been...well, "precipitous" doesn't even cover it - we're still doing ok for a team having just been promoted.

I still think Gary Johnson is the best man for the job of getting us back into the football league. He'll have been learning a lot about his players in the past 10 games, information that will probably inform what he does with the squad come June. Pretty much any team at this level would love GJ to be in charge, such is his experience. To get rid of Johnson now would be idiotic in the extreme, as there's nobody around with anywhere near the level of experience that could replace him.

I do have doubts as to what the ownership will do if - presumably - we're still in this division come the summer. They seem to have supported Johnson to date, but I fear that waiting another year for promotion might not be in their plan. Happy to be proved wrong of course, but I still believe that the owner is the biggest risk we face, not the management.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Reidy28 wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 21:57 Surely every manager is good when it's going well and what manager with experience hasn't been sacked.
TUST number 080