Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I notice some posters suggesting Chris Zebroski is worth a shout but Eastleigh today list him as "exercising the club's right to extend his contract".
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Luke McCormick? Released at argyle.

May want to stay local.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I see Plymouth have announced their retention list and of those released one player stands out: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. This 27 year old. 6ft 2in left back is/was highly rated by Argyle supporters. Brought in last season on a free transfer from Doncaster this pacy left full-back played 27 games for the 'Pilgrims'.

A 'pipe dream'.. Maybe. As the major stumbling block in enticing this sort of player with quality for a NLS promotion push is will they also say "I dont think I want to be playing there..." in front of 500 grimacing pensioners reminiscing on the 'good old days' within the confines of a non-League 'regional' ground.

As we all know this seasons recruitment will be the real test for Owers and co and I await in anticipation on the quality of our signings. Any less quality than the 6+ pre-season players he wanted to retain, then I foresee another shootout at the 'OK Corral'.

I know I am of just one opinion as there are those who will see themselves in their twilight years, whiling away autumnal afternoons and sparsely floodlit Tuesday nights to a backdrop of thuds, yells and an occasional twist of real skill. Watching non-league football wherever they feel like it, cheaply and without stress. Shouting out to the lumbering defender: “Oi, Dobson, you’re shite!” Well thats not for me, I am not going to watch Torquay just to be a decoration for authenticity’s sake, handing over hard earned cash that will only ever pay me back in currency of disappointment.

Just saying!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Unless we can do what Buckle did eleven years ago and sign the best players from around the NLS I don't think we should be looking at anyone over 24 or 25. We need hungry young players looking to prove themselves. We don't need any more has-been and never-were crocks stealing a living!
If a 27 year old who played over 20 games for Argyle this season and was at Doncaster before that wants to sign for us then I don't think we should be interested.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

PhilGull wrote: 09 May 2018, 15:46 ... do what Buckle did eleven years ago and sign the best players from around the NLS ...
Valid point. The best players amongst the NLS often has to be a player's player. Two players held in high esteem by players in the NLS and who helped gain their team a 'play off' place are Ben Harding and Ben Gerring of Truro. Are these the type of players we ought to be sourcing?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Leaving aside the five (soon to be four when Young moves on) offered deals, Owers is going to have to pin down a few signings between now and the end of the month in order to speed up season ticket sales.
We need quality players fit for purpose for National South football with incentives in contracts for bonuses for winning matches.
Village Gull

Post by Village Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 May 2018, 14:53 I see Plymouth have announced their retention list and of those released one player stands out: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. This 27 year old. 6ft 2in left back is/was highly rated by Argyle supporters. Brought in last season on a free transfer from Doncaster this pacy left full-back played 27 games for the 'Pilgrims'.

A 'pipe dream'.. Maybe. As the major stumbling block in enticing this sort of player with quality for a NLS promotion push is will they also say "I dont think I want to be playing there..." in front of 500 grimacing pensioners reminiscing on the 'good old days' within the confines of a non-League 'regional' ground.

As we all know this seasons recruitment will be the real test for Owers and co and I await in anticipation on the quality of our signings. Any less quality than the 6+ pre-season players he wanted to retain, then I foresee another shootout at the 'OK Corral'.

I know I am of just one opinion as there are those who will see themselves in their twilight years, whiling away autumnal afternoons and sparsely floodlit Tuesday nights to a backdrop of thuds, yells and an occasional twist of real skill. Watching non-league football wherever they feel like it, cheaply and without stress. Shouting out to the lumbering defender: “Oi, Dobson, you’re shite!” Well thats not for me, I am not going to watch Torquay just to be a decoration for authenticity’s sake, handing over hard earned cash that will only ever pay me back in currency of disappointment.

Just saying!
I have to wonder why, now the season is over and there are not so many "targets" to have a go at, M/Y is taking a pop at the "grimacing pensioners" who are admittedly in "their twilight years". As aTorquay supporter for well over 50 years, I was once young and have seen both good and bad seasons, generally of late, considerably more of the latter!
Torquay has always been my team and will continue so to be, even though the grimacing and drooling may increase. There are indeed a lot of elderly supporters, and yes, we are just that. Contrary to M/Ys thoughts on how we shout abuse, that certainly isn't the way many of us conduct ourselves. Over the years from the time when surprisingly enough we too were young, we have contributed support, both verbal and cash wise and no doubt will, for better or worse, continue to do so for as long as we can.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

PhilGull wrote: 09 May 2018, 15:46 Unless we can do what Buckle did eleven years ago and sign the best players from around the NLS I don't think we should be looking at anyone over 24 or 25. We need hungry young players looking to prove themselves. We don't need any more has-been and never-were crocks stealing a living!
If a 27 year old who played over 20 games for Argyle this season and was at Doncaster before that wants to sign for us then I don't think we should be interested.
:goodpost:
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Parkys People wrote: 09 May 2018, 13:19 Luke McCormick? Released at argyle.

May want to stay local.
Sorry, but I know he did his time, but for me & as a father of the 2 best kids any bloke could wish for, I wouldn't be able to actually sit there & be comfortable with him representing us.
Again, I know he's done his time set down by the law of this country, but some crimes are just unforgiving & unforgettable.
And that was said from the heart, with no tongue in cheek implied at all.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Agree totally but he wouldn't drop down to the NLS and neither will many decent players. I'd rather we used horses for courses and look for hungry young players proven at that level.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I agree with Teigngull on this matter. There are some things that are very hard to forgive and McCormack contributed 100% towards that outrage, there are no mitigating circumstances.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

McCormick would be a decent signing if we can't keep Dorel and its not a long trip between Plymouth and Torquay so hes not likely to do much damage driving up. Could suit everybody if he signed.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:36 Agree totally but he wouldn't drop down to the NLS and neither will many decent players. I'd rather we used horses for courses and look for hungry young players proven at that level.
This.

It may sound strange but i am kind of hoping that I've never heard of any of the players we sign. I know absolutely diddly squat about players at this level so wouldn't expect to know who the guys are who would be the correct horses for the NLS course.

To sign a load of "names" from the EFL and National League would be the wrong way to go in my eyes.

As Dave says, young and hungry with a couple of battle hardened NLS regulars to guide them would be ideal.
Rusty8unny

Post by Rusty8unny »

brucie wrote: 09 May 2018, 21:58 McCormick would be a decent signing if we can't keep Dorel and its not a long trip between Plymouth and Torquay so hes not likely to do much damage driving up. Could suit everybody if he signed.
Bruce, cut the slap dash attitude about this morons driving skills. He killed 2 young boys by driving without any regard for others safety, he believed he was above the law, his selfish Cowardice behaviour behind the wheel of a vehicle just about sums up what a self centered prick he must've been, ok he's shown remorse & served the time this country lays down, & deems to be sufficient for the despicable crime he committed.
Never the less, he killed 2 young lads through his self centered attitude behind a wheel.
We have a dig at each other on this forum & some harsh (some are true) words are said to & about each other, I hope it's banter or at least perceived to be, let's keep it that way.
LUKE McCORMICK DRIVING SKILLS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR JOKES OR BANTER.
Sorry if I come across as stuffy over this, but I feel strongly about it.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Yes it’s a fair point and well made . It just isn’t funny when you think about the tragic outcome of his actions.
I would imagine that Brucie didn’t mean to cause offence in pursuit of humour which often happens in the advent of social media and it’s pitfalls.
In any event, the last thing we need is more controversy, so McCormick would need to be kept at bay with a shitty stick ,not that I think he is in any way linked to us at present.