Torquay United v Ebbsfleet United 25/1/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

I’ve said it before: GJ signed up a new striker who we pay full time wages to each and every week. The fact that he doesn’t even get a look in with a team performing to the dismal level that we sunk to on Saturday is outrageous. Give Olaf a game and please don’t tell me he’s too young or inexperienced. Before we know it he’ll be too old and inexperienced.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

Tyler Harvey is set to sign on Thursday on loan from Truro. (He does not want to sign fully with us yet, due to the risk of him not having a club in the summer if this goes tits up. He’s on a 2 year deal with them. We will be paying him his wages though. Weird situation. Big test in this league, is fans gotta back him.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

culmstockgull wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 19:06 I can understand why Morton would choose to sign for Northampton, not least, better class of football, certainly better training set up, and probably, no definitely more money. I think we all have aspirations to sign good quality players and then we have to have a reality check and remember where we are and what budget we have. Then realise that loan players are acquired from above and permanent signings from below, that is the hard reality of life for us as a football club.
Morton was only ever going to be a loan player and we've already got way too many of those. Keith Curle is a wily old fox and an ex-Gulls manager who almost certainly keeps an eye on his old club (and the social media surrounding it) - hence the sudden move for Callum Morton.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

a new striker on his way maybe it's Manny Duku or Ruairi Keating :lol: :lol:

In hindsight may be we should have kept hold of them.

It's ok I'll have a quick look in the yellow pages,
Last edited by Jpr on 28 Jan 2020, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

DUKU doing well now lol
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Morton won't be on any more money as he is on loan from West Brom. It seems like he agreed to sign for us last week, but played well in a friendly for West Brom Under 23's at he end of the week, then stayed there and changed his mind.

Morton isn't proven at this level really - training facilities etc are probably irrelevant, what he needs at this stage of his career are games. Whether he will get much action at Northampton remains to be seen though so time will tell whether its the best move.

If the info re Tyler Harvey is correct it does look that Johnson had stuck or twisted on Morton and has now gone bust. Signing Truros/Tivertons forward line doesn't look ideal and with Lewington doing bugger all so far I can see the natives getting restless if this goes wrong.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

aggrey_25 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 09:46 DUKU doing well now lol

Wasn't given a chance, keating not played enough, Andrews could be next not to play much because of the so called x man city lad who next.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Brucie, I think its harsh to make the statements on Keating considering the very rare opportunities he has had this season, I still believe he will go onto bigger and better things. if we see a player over 30 matches then we all can see how good or bad they are. In the case of Morton I do not believe he shafted us, I would have done exactly the same if a league team had come in for me as opposed to a mid table conference side. Its a short career and you do what you think is best, if he or his agent just happened to watch us last Saturday, how quick do you think they would have been back up the M5. I agree that Johnsons silence in this window speaks volumes considering his often publicised comments on the squad, I am sure there are many reasons why he could not strengthen but lack of money must be the number one problem, we have off loaded two more of the squad if Niate has left so we either use that money now or Johnson is throwing the dice hoping to get through the rest of the season in this league and re build again in the summer, if we were so keen on Harvey we could have brought him here in the summer when he chose to leave Bath, so to my mind it smacks of an appeasement signing to keep us on side and anyway he is not in any shape or form the big target man we all hope for, he is the same height as Reid.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Buse, Lewington and Harvey (if any truth in possible signing) are really only squad fodder. More important is the need to create a strong fist 11 hopefully without too many loans. Not an easy thing to do but incoming players over the next week will signify future potential perhaps. Possible there may also be further departures as GJ refashions his squad?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I didn't make any remarks about Keating did I? however if as is being touted Morton had agreed to join us then hes gone back on his word. Its impossible to speculate whether the move is good for him or not though as he might find it more difficult to get in Northamptons team than ours.

I can't see how Harveys appointment (if it is true) is going to appease anybody though. If we are employing Johnsons brother in a scouting capacity then the signings of Lewington and Harvey might suggest we are not getting much value for money.

I believe that Morton is a quick type of player whilst Harvey is a target man. Having failed to get in his first choice of player then going for a completely different type of player completely doesn't really point to having much of a plan.

In all honesty I would have preferred Keating either of the ex Truro players.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Bit unfair to say Lewingtons done bugger all so far ! He's hardly had a chance to do bugger all apart from 10 minutes here and there due to concussion issues, non selection and trying to get his fitness up to National League levels. I think he needs a few 90 minute games with Reid in a 4-4-2
before we judge him but whether he gets that is another question as Johnson seems to prefer Whitfield supporting Reid or Kalala and Whitfield either side of Reid as at Fylde so imagine that's what we'll see at Barrow
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Brucie , apologies, confused you with someone else.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Surely Southampton or Bournemouth have a young centre forward 8 foot tall, built like a barn door, quick as lightning desperate for first team experience who could do what Jamie cannot do, win headers and lay them off to Jamie to score another 17 from the remaining 14 games.
Sorry guys I just woke up from my dream!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Have been unable to make the games for various reasons of late, should be back on the pop for the next game though. Was disappointing to hear of the nature of performance in this game, but I wasn't to disheartened, the fact we could still be dragged into a relegation scrap hasn't been lost on me, so it's important the team doesn't lose any games against teams below us in the league, so whilst a win would have been great, the draw not the end of the world.

Also just to add, considering the run of defeats, and the amount of goals we've conceded, if GJ has now decided to set the team to make us more had to beat, rather than pleasing on the eye, that's fine by me.

We must remember, any formation, team set up only works if you have the players to fit, GJ's default game plan, relies on having a fully fit, Wynter, Davis, CLE, Hall and Little, we don't have that at the moment.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

forevertufc wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:34
We must remember, any formation, team set up only works if you have the players to fit, GJ's default game plan, relies on having a fully fit, Wynter, Davis, CLE, Hall and Little, we don't have that at the moment.
Then change the default!! Show some true managerial quality by changing the formation and game plan to fit the players you have available?