Play Offs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I agree with Dazza!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Unbelievable how some people see the game. Clearly don’t know football, but clogging up the board with absolute rubbish comments
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Just read through this thread. Having paid just short of £600 for a season ticket for me and my lad for five games and not claimed any refund when last season ended early I would be gob smacked if I was asked to pay more for the play off semi final!!
I was wondering if the Saturday off will be an advantage or not. Players like to play every week so perhaps the teams who win their quarter finals will have momentum coming in to the semi. Agree it gives injured players time to come back but with no match sharpness!!
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Agree - an absolutely brilliant season that may well end up being even better yet.
Some of our football has been sublime and had we not been disrupted so frequently by injuries we would have been unstoppable. You can’t legislate for the multiple injuries not just to key players but that cripple the successful formula of play Gary Johnson had established.
Really thought Sutton would drop points and the fact they dug in and got those results earns them the title - we ended up faltering having put together an incredible run in. Tough games those against Bromley and Stockport particularly - but nothing but applause for the team and management. A horrible division to get out of and we might yet do it ahead of Notts County, Wrexham etc. Would we have taken this position back in September? Hell yes!!
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Out of interest, I wonder which TUFC national league / vanarama play off team would be victorious in a head to head? Buckle’s winners featuring Hargreaves and Sills or our current crop with Lemongeigh Evans, Hall and Whitfield. I reckon Johnson’s squad is stronger in depth (and has needed to be). Perhaps not a debate for now!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Eastleigh failing to win tonight confirms that Notts County finish 5th or 6th so we will play them or one of the other five. Think I would prefer one of the others but they will all be bloody tough.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

desperado wrote: 25 May 2021, 21:11 Eastleigh failing to win tonight confirms that Notts County finish 5th or 6th so we will play them or one of the other five. Think I would prefer one of the others but they will all be bloody tough.

Not quite. If Notts county win on Saturday and Hartlepool lose they will swap places?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

So they will DWB ! Quite a scrap for the other places.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

A little bit of context. Since we joined the Football League back in 1927 we have only finished 2nd or above on three occasions:

1956/57 Football League div 3 (south) 2nd
2018/19 National League South. 1st
2020/21 National League Premier 2nd

Why are people moaning, this has been one of our most successful seasons. Also note Gary Johnson was responsible for two of those seasons.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

As supporters have said, finishing 2nd just a few points off being Champions with the loss of KEY players affecting the second half of the season...the team and management have done a superb job.

League two here we come!
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Well let’s hope whoever is in goal in the playoffs his Mums behind Him, (maybe she could save some shots and crosses)
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

So it’s Notts County or Chesterfield on 12th June at Plainmoor.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

If it's Chesterfield does that mean that Boden will not be allowed to play ? If so we must better hope that Wright and Whitfield are back to strength and can play!!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 29 May 2021, 15:20 If it's Chesterfield does that mean that Boden will not be allowed to play ? If so we must better hope that Wright and Whitfield are back to strength and can play!!
Why? We won at Chesterfield earlier this month without Boden, Wright or Whitfield.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Better season than last however the playoffs will be a complete
lottery.

Just because we finished 2nd in the league will have no bearing on the Playoff game(s). Recently we have failed to finish off the chances we have created in the final 3rd and this has been noticed by all pundits and most if not all football fans.

I’m a firm believer that you are only as good as your bench. Without Wright, Whitfield and possibly Boden (if we play Chesterfield) our chances of creating chances and possibly winning the next Playoff game will be limited by this. Add to the fact that we seem to be defensively complacent or under perform as a team,at home, may also be a factor.

Are we capable of winning the next 2 games? Of course we are!

If we should fail I will look back and ponder whether we had the enough inform strikers at the club, throughout the
season.
COYY!!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: