Torquay United v East Thurrock United 11/08/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:55 So three of you couldn't count to 27 accurately? :clap: :clap: :clap:
they couldn't count to 10 between them Dave, never mind 27..... :} :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:55 So three of you couldn't count to 27 accurately? :clap: :clap: :clap:
:rofl: Indeed, we managed to come up with 27-28-29 between us, blame their fans they kept getting a walking one by one, think there was something going on in the toilets, maybe Trojan 67 was in there giving them all a good laugh.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Spot on forever in your comment that players at this level can play and we won't necessarily steam roll teams. Yorkie's earlier comment about pub teams and picking 11 players out of a pub and winning games is naive and ill informed. Getting out of this league will be hard and if we do it will be well deserved.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Not much of a spectacle today. Owers was going mad at McDonald during the 1st half. His distribution was slow and inaccurate which was frustrating everyone.
The 1st half was very similar to the Bath game except we had more time on the ball. Liam Davis had so much space and time. We just couldn't function in the final third until Keating scored just before the break.
We came out stronger in the 2nd half, Owers had obviously had words with McDonald .Keating's second goal was a well placed header coming from finally a descent cross. I understand that Keating's dad came to watch so really pleased for them.
McDonald produced two great saves today, I m not sure how much he knew about the first. As a reserve keeper he is doing very well. Sort his distribution out and he will be playing at a higher level in a few years.
The final pass was really poor today. Thurrock were poor today, our fitness levels were far superior.

Maybe somebody can tell me why is Hedges in the dug out?? I thought he was dealing with watching the opposition and providing Owers with match reports and stuff.
I counted four coaches in our dug out, why cant one of them get out during the break and do something constructive with the subs, why cant the goalkeeping coach do something with the keeper(sub). It annoys me watching them during the break just booting the ball to each other.

Anyway 3 points in the bag and not even playing well.
Well done Keating, you deserved your MOM
Rayzie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Rayzie »

Well done to the lads today for a deserved win and an important three points. You could see early on in the first half we were going to win the game with the dominance we showed. Once the first goal went in it was just a case of how many and a bit disappointing we didn't score more than two. However we won and that is what the fans and players want.
Nice to see Keating get two goals for himself which will give him confidence in future games. Williams will be a force in this league but at times needs to make a simple pass instead of trying to do too much on his own. Think we still want that target / striker player to get us promoted this season. Keep it up Torquay!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:06 3 games unbeaten, no goals conceded. I'll take that and congratulate Owers on a decent start. Still a long way to go though so not counting chickens just yet!!
I'll take that too! but to congratulate Ower's - at this point in time - is a step too far for me - and I don't even have any chickens!

As an observation I thought todays 3-5-2 formation, whilst a great counter-attacking option against better opposition was the wrong choice of formation. Thurrock were a gutsy team but on the whole a pretty average team and I would have preferred a 4-3-3 formation to put the emphasise on attacking with a 3 player front line. We had the home advantage and showed them to much respect (i.e. back line of 3/5 to combat their sole striker).

I know we won and we scored two goals, albeit the first a gift and I am happy with our start but would be interested in others observation of the teams performance because we are definitely not firing on all cylinders
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

MellowYellow wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:41 I'll take that too! but to congratulate Ower's - at this point in time - is a step too far for me - and I don't even have any chickens!

As an observation I thought todays 3-5-2 formation, whilst a great counter-attacking option against better opposition was the wrong choice of formation. Thurrock were a gutsy team but on the whole a pretty average team and I would have preferred a 4-3-3 formation to put the emphasise on attacking with a 3 player front line. We had the home advantage and showed them to much respect (i.e. back line of 3/5 to combat their sole striker).

I know we won and we scored two goals, albeit the first a gift and I am happy with our start but would be interested in others observation of the teams performance because we are definitely not firing on all cylinders
I think he was merely congratulating him on a good start, which it is. Owers has had his fair share of criticism so we should say well done also when due
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

Great legs and work rate from Keating deserved his goals. Some good positives to come from the game and still a lot of room for improvement. Well done Torquay
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not going to say like tuesday that the best team lost today because they certainly didnt !
Comfortable win , should have been 4 or 5 really , though again like Bath , Thurrock should have scored instead
of the keeper tipping onto the bar. The quality of finishing is noticeably poorer than the National League from
the two teams we have played so far. Would like to see us starting with a bit more tempo, first half again was
very poor. Thought Hall and Nabi were excellent as was Niate in defence and Keating did well. Need a bit more
from Williams.
We certainly dont get much coverage on Radio Devon now , had reached home by the time they gave us a
quick 3 minutes
droning on and on about the managers sending off at Plymouth, extremely annoying .
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Enjoyed the game today, well about 15 minutes straight after halftime. 500 down on tue, shows what happens if you don't steamroller the opponent in your first game.
A few things,
32 away fans, for those who wanted to know, according to a steward as I walked past the away end.
Fairly humorous moment, when the Thurlock goalie claps empty away end at the start !
Most genuine moment, when waiting to take a corner, the East Thurrock player playing one twos with a ballboy.
Best strike of the match, Dave with the crossbar challenge, £50, well done that man.
Ear opening 90 minutes, having Josh Gowling and a player who may be fit for tue ?, sat directly behind me, heard every word said. And there were a lot.
Our number 8, great header of the ball, but awful passer, 90% of his passes went to opponents. nobody pass to him, ever.
Well done Ruairi Keating, at least shows it means something to him.
An ok performance, but 7 points is 7 points, and no goals conceded.
Lee
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

7 points from 9 is really good. Owers has bought in some good players at this level who surely will only get better as they play more together! The 3 central defenders look good defending arial balls but the dury is still out if they can defend against better ball playing opposition! Dickinson and Nabi look really good and will get fitter. Davis difference class, Keating will gain massive confidence from today and looks fit and chases every ball!!! Could be a big season for him. Williams leads the line well but has missed a couple which should really have gone in at this level. Will be an interesting season, particularly away from Plainmoor! So far so good!!!!
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:26 I agree with Dave SG that it's early days but i'm certainly having that seed of doubt about Owers and his true intentions for TUFC slowly teased out.

Ok so half of the teams in this league could be beaten by lifting 11 lads out of a pub on a saturday and cobbling a side together but it's about consistency and consistently and efficiently putting away pub sides like East Thurrock so that you are then in a strong position to give the likes of Billericay something to think about.

Owers has put together a squad and all he can do is beat what is in front of him which is just about what has happened thus far bar the commendable draw at Chelmsford.

Keep clean sheets and you'll win more than you lose. Obviously. :~D

Credit to Owers for navigating what could have been a tricky start had Torquay lost one or two already which could easily have happened. The jury is still on holiday though and will be until the season ends.
How many NLS games have you seen?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We really should have scored after 2 minutes.Brett will be disappointed not to score.
Ryan Dickson was everywhere. What a signing.
Liam Davis saw a lot of the ball and is great to watch.
Asa Hall won numerous headers but some shocking passes and slow to get back. Still think he is a good signing.
Shaun MacDonald 3 games and 3 clean sheets.Great stuff Shaun.
Ruairi Keating. So pleased for the young man. I bet he is glad tonight that he decided to stay at TUFC!.
We still look like we are well short of the standard we may be at in 2 or 3 months time
We still look light weight up front and just one player short of a really promising side
An excellent referee today.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
portugull wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 20:35 We really should have scored after 2 minutes.Brett will be disappointed not to score.
Ryan Dickson was everywhere. What a signing.
Liam Davis saw a lot of the ball and is great to watch.
Asa Hall won numerous headers but some shocking passes and slow to get back. Still think he is a good signing.
Shaun MacDonald 3 games and 3 clean sheets.Great stuff Shaun.
Ruairi Keating. So pleased for the young man. I bet he is glad tonight that he decided to stay at TUFC!.
We still look like we are well short of the standard we may be at in 2 or 3 months time
We still look light weight up front and just one player short of a really promising side
An excellent referee today.
Busterjames
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Busterjames »

SBP wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:36 Not much of a spectacle today. Owers was going mad at McDonald during the 1st half. His distribution was slow and inaccurate which was frustrating everyone.
The 1st half was very similar to the Bath game except we had more time on the ball. Liam Davis had so much space and time. We just couldn't function in the final third until Keating scored just before the break.
We came out stronger in the 2nd half, Owers had obviously had words with McDonald .Keating's second goal was a well placed header coming from finally a descent cross. I understand that Keating's dad came to watch so really pleased for them.
McDonald produced two great saves today, I m not sure how much he knew about the first. As a reserve keeper he is doing very well. Sort his distribution out and he will be playing at a higher level in a few years.
The final pass was really poor today. Thurrock were poor today, our fitness levels were far superior.

Maybe somebody can tell me why is Hedges in the dug out?? I thought he was dealing with watching the opposition and providing Owers with match reports and stuff.
I counted four coaches in our dug out, why cant one of them get out during the break and do something constructive with the subs, why cant the goalkeeping coach do something with the keeper(sub). It annoys me watching them during the break just booting the ball to each other.

Anyway 3 points in the bag and not even playing well.
Well done Keating, you deserved your MOM
Totally agree.
GK coach looks clueless, is a franchise J4K coach who hasn’t a clue but looks like he’s giving it big time?!

Oggy I believe is the other coach winging it, should stick to his kids camps..., what’s next Justin Grincell giving it big licks on the bench.
Shambles and I’m no better locking myself out of my old account on here :red: