Torquay United v Chorley 29/2/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Willowgull sorry I do not agree.
Reid was by far the most dangerous striker on the pitch in very difficult conditions.His close control is getting better and better and despite not having someone to play off has scored 18 goals in the League a couple of them Premier League class.
We all acknowledge that 2nd half Jamie and Ade should have put the game to bed but I do feel Azeez is the right sort of player to support Jamie.
Reid looked very quick and on another day would have had a hat trick.
He is on track to score 25 goals this season so I just cannot agree with your view.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The thing is, us football fans are guilty of often describing a strikers performance as poor, because they've missed chances, or not scored. Jamie Reid in my opinion made the wrong decision in passing the ball to Azeez, Reid himself was better placed to shoot, second chance, he took the shot on, when the pass across goal was looking the better option, but easy from the stands.

Apart from that, nothing wrong with Reid's work rate as normal, his first touch apart from the odd slip was as good as we've ever seen it from Jamie Reid, he linked up play time and time again, and played Azeez a few times.

Jamie Reid may not have his best in front of goal, a lot of strikers can find that after an injury lay off maybe a slight lack of confidence, but his performance was far from bad.

Personally delighted for the lad he did score in the end, hopefully that will take the monkey off his back, and we'll see him back to his best finishing, he's proved himself now on that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good performance but only one telling wing pass when Whitfield crossed for Reid to score these are the positions that wide players must find and we did not get to them enough in the last two games. (Quality crosses not there)The system we are playing restricts us getting there a bit as we are relying on the fullback on one side to get forward and get crosses in but these balls do create chances.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

certainly wasn't the best game of football but the conditions were not going to allow it

3 points and move on

Thought the ref was weak in his decision making let players take throw ins/fouls miles from were they should have been taken from and their lump at the back was luck to stay on

You could tell Mcdonald hadn't played for a while and he tried to do too much at the end by coming for a couple of balls and getting nowhere near resulting in 2 goal line clearances needed

Main 2nd half highlight was their full back Duxbury, target of a lot of stick for trying to be a big man, he came of worse!
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

SBP wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 11:13 I don't think our set up is helping Jamie Reid. He needs to be running into space, playing off the shoulder and linking with the midfield quicker. We are very defensive in how we are setting up, 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks who are quite deep, then Asa playing just in front of them. Jamie is dropping deeper and deeper to collect the ball and linking in with the midfield. If any of the midfield picks up the ball and looks forward its not an easy pass forward and then you look left and right and the ball generally has to go back before going forward and by then the opposition are defensively set up.
I think GJ is concerned about how many goals we were leaking and is giving as much protection as he thinks they need. So what we are now seeing is that we are becoming defensively hard to break down however we are not creating the offensive opportunities.
So we are now not seeing expansive attacking football with 4-5-6 goals a game, to not conceding and with fewer scoring opportunities.
I agree with SBP, that system is certainly not suiting Jamie. It is causing him to drop deeper and deeper. It was the same last week. But, the defence is looking a lot more solid. I guess it's all about finding a balance.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Having re-read the comments I am loathe to turn yesterdays game into a Reid critique, for months we have all been saying he cannot play up front alone, that's not his game ,so we get a genuine No 9 in and now we find he has to re discover a role that suits him and the team. I do not expect him to score every game but since his dry spell I have noticed a far bigger work rate from him, he is tracking back something he never ever did in the past, he is putting in defensive tackles albeit around the centre circle again something he rarely if ever did. He is maturing and the goal yesterday will give him a measure of confidence. something I believe is so important to an individual like Jamie. I for one doubted that he would score double figures in this league, he has proved me wrong and if he gets past 20 which I am sure he will then people outside of Torquay must take notice of his abilities.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I thought today was a very professional performance, we did the job and took all three points. What more do you wish your club, the club we all support and love to do on a Saturday.

Lets not forget the weather conditions and how the pitch cut up. It was never going to be premier league football that we see on TV, being played on a carpet.

I believe the back 4/5 formation to be working, the 4 clean sheets in 6 is helping. We were never going to get out of this league by scoring loads, while also conceding lots. It may have been entertaining at times, but give me results all day long. The current back 4/5 set up, quickly changes to a back 4 or 3 as we attack and is showing great team organisation and game management.

See you all on Saturday as we go again. With a little luck during March we can stay in the mix for the final push.
PaulR
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PaulR »

Highlights are up...

Last edited by Louis on 02 Mar 2020, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded video
http://www.rockettrides.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 19:00 Having re-read the comments I am loathe to turn yesterdays game into a Reid critique, for months we have all been saying he cannot play up front alone, that's not his game ,so we get a genuine No 9 in and now we find he has to re discover a role that suits him and the team. I do not expect him to score every game but since his dry spell I have noticed a far bigger work rate from him, he is tracking back something he never ever did in the past, he is putting in defensive tackles albeit around the centre circle again something he rarely if ever did. He is maturing and the goal yesterday will give him a measure of confidence. something I believe is so important to an individual like Jamie. I for one doubted that he would score double figures in this league, he has proved me wrong and if he gets past 20 which I am sure he will then people outside of Torquay must take notice of his abilities.
No doubt Jamie will be off to Home Park in the summer on a free.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Good to see us put away one of the bottom teams for a change and to hear players and management aiming for the play offs.
It's a tall order and we'd need a hell of a run 7 wins from 11 or 6 and 2 or 3 draws as with so many teams scrapping for it and playing each other high sixties may do it for the last place.
Our 5 remaining home games are all against catchable teams a few points ahead of us. We could be fighting with Hartlepool on the last day for the final play off place !
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Next 5 games are big. Get 3-4 wins and then April looks decent🤞