Expectations for the forthcoming season in NLS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Expectations for the forthcoming season in NLS

Champions
22%
Playoffs position
41%
Mid table
29%
To be relegated
8%

Total votes: 83

jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Pleased to see TUFC have taken the initiative to give TUFC Season Ticket holders free access to Truro V Billericay on Saturday. As many as poss should go to cheer on Truro for this one match.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

jimhart33 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:30 Pleased to see TUFC have taken the initiative to give TUFC Season Ticket holders free access to Truro V Billericay on Saturday. As many as poss should go to cheer on Truro for this one match.
Each to their own.

I wouldn't feel that a divisional rival need TUFC fans to turn out in support of them.

Makes sense for Torquay to offer free entry to season ticket holders. A greater chance of selling some food and drink for the club I suppose.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Be interesting if Truro become a close rival in the table how many fans will venture in to the away end for the first time!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We may all be venturing into the away end when we play the Truro home match :}

Surprised the extra home fixture advantage we have on other clubs, has not been picked up on.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 03 Aug 2018, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Free access to a Torquay cup game would have been a better initiative. As it stands, getting free entry to a match involving a team you don't support is just slightly a bit better than pointless.
Baegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Baegull »

I'll be there to support Truro (anyone) against the league favourites !
That's £15 Truro won't be getting thanks to this offer ......
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I very much doubt both Truro and Torquay will even exist in 10 years. Osborne is probably plotting to kill two birds with one stone in front of our very eyes whilst he rides roughshod on his seamless journey to the end of his rainbow. He's a very, very clever man aided and abetted by some very, very stupid ones in the council. Unfortunately.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

MellowYellow wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 11:22 Surprised the extra home fixture advantage we have on other clubs, has not been picked up on.
What like AC Milan / Inter Milan, Genoa / Sampdoria, Roma / Lazio, and (up until 2011 but now in separate stadiums) Juventus / Torino? - in a league where the 'extra' home game may tip the scale on qualification for Europe. The fanbase of these clubs is of course more even than Torquay / Truro, but I don't think level of support makes that much difference. If it did we would not have been relegated last season!

It could also be argued that we have one extra away game rather than one extra home game, as Truro will be thoroughly familiar with Plainmoor as their home ground! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So you think that a support of around 1500 - 200 against 35 isn't an advantage? - do me a favour. Go and watch Exeter Chumps. Must be time to re thatch your headdress and sharpen up that tomahawk - wankers.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 14:21 So you think that a support of around 1500 - 200 against 35 isn't an advantage? - do me a favour. Go and watch Exeter Chumps. Must be time to re thatch your headdress and sharpen up that tomahawk - wankers.
Hope you are not calling me a wanker Terry as that is very rude! There are a significant number of away wins in the professional football leagues and mostly the away fans are heavily outnumbered. It is 11 v 11 on the pitch. I will be up to watch the Bath and East Thurrock games shortly and yes I will be attending Sandy Park this season to watch Exeter RFC. Sale Sharks first up for me as can't do the first home game against Leicester Tigers because I travel by public transport and the later kick off does not fit in with either train or bus times. I used to watch them at the County Ground at the turn of the century in the 4th tier of English rugby so I don't see why I shouldn't. Don't do the headress / tomahawk thing myself and it wouldn't bother me in the least if they changed the branding - it would still be Exeter RFC. It is a pity you appear to be too thick to appreciate rugby union as well as the more sports you have a genuine interest in the more options are available throughout the year. Sorry about the 'thick' bit as I know you are not - just a bit of tit for tat I suppose ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:17 I used to watch them at the County Ground at the turn of the century in the 4th tier of English rugby so I don't see why I shouldn't. Don't do the headress / tomahawk thing myself and it wouldn't bother me in the least if they changed the branding - it would still be Exeter RFC. It is a pity you appear to be too thick to appreciate rugby union as well as the more sports you have a genuine interest in the more options are available throughout the year. Sorry about the 'thick' bit as I know you are not - just a bit of tit for tat I suppose ;-)
Brucie is obviously in a grumpy mood today. I am not a rugby fan myself, but look out for the results of Exeter Chiefs. The club has done fantastically well since rising from the 4th tier when they used to play against the Tics I think. But tell me, Stefano - how does the play-off system work? They finish top of the league, then they had to play Wasps who were second. Wasps win and so the Chiefs didn't win the league. Fully agree that the more sporting interests you have, the better. Even synchronised swimming has its mertis ....... ;-)

Now then, what was the subject of this thread? Oh yes - expectations for the forthcoming season. With no assistant manager yet in place, questionable happenings off-field and almost a completely new team, I think it will be a season of consolidation. I think it will be mid-table or just above.
P.S. when you post - just a bit of tit for tat, didn't you mean to post 'just a bit of a tit' ? :whistle: Only joking, Brucie!
Last edited by tomogull on 03 Aug 2018, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If level of support inside the stadium was a factor in the outcome of a match then that surely means our supporters have been grossly underperforming the last few seasons seeing how we outnumbered most of our opponents support.
Its all about the players on the pitch. If the supporters could affect a result then clubs would offering training sessions for fans and signing up the most vocal.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Anything less than promotion or a helluva good crack at it should result in the lot of them being booted off Berry Head.

If we are struggling after 12 games then Owers must go.

Quietly pleased with a few of the signings, but then again I was this time last year and when Owers was appointed. Shite management appointments has been our downfall over the last five years or so, lets hope Owers can step up, prove us wrong and redeem himself.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

chunkygull wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 21:17 Anything less than promotion or a helluva good crack at it should result in the lot of them being booted off Berry Head.

If we are struggling after 12 games then Owers must go.

Quietly pleased with a few of the signings, but then again I was this time last year and when Owers was appointed. Shite management appointments has been our downfall over the last five years or so, lets hope Owers can step up, prove us wrong and redeem himself.
Owers has to deliver. Almost 14 games will have been played by the start of October.
Lucy
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 16:50 But tell me, Stefano - how does the play-off system work? They finish top of the league, then they had to play Wasps who were second. Wasps win and so the Chiefs didn't win the league. Fully agree that the more sporting interests you have, the better.
Well tomo just for you and of course completely off topic, but the play-off theory is: Unlike football where there are no Premiership games and Championship games on an international weekend, rugby fixtures carry on during the international games. There are actually quite a few. The whole of November is taken up with internationals (England have 4 games this Autuumn). Then of course for 6 weeks in February / March there is the 6 Nations.

Now of course it stands to reason that the top teams will have more players on international duty than those further down the table - and there are always some completely unexpected results during these periods. So the 'theory' is that the top 4 play off with their full squads available to decide the champions.

Just one correction although and you did say tomo you don't really follow rugby. Exeter has never lost to Wasps in the play-offs. Exeter finished top last season with Saracens 2nd and Wasps 3rd. Exeter then lost to Saracens in the final. The year before when Exeter won it Exeter finished 2nd behind Wasps in 1st place, but having beaten Saracens in the semi-final play off Exeter beat Wasps at Twickenham in the final.

Hope that clarifies stuff. ;-)

....and....I think TUFC will win tomorrow and by 1745 next Saturday will be top of the league with 9 points!