Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Jerry wrote: The difference is Hargreaves has already proved he isn't a good manager. Nobody knows that about Nicholson.

How about giving him a chance before judging him?

Because I'm a football fan, which automatically makes me opinionated and fickle :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote:No to Sean Joyce
No to Steve Tully
No to Shaun North
No to Kevin Nicholson
No to Alex Russell
No to Chris Todd

I despair sometimes, when I see the names people are canvassing for. Any on that list would be suicidal in my view and just confirm relegation. The board have done a few daft things since they took over but if they have gone down the old player route, then they are beyond stupid.

It's about going down the affordable route. All of those names will be cheaper than established experienced managers, the one candidate right on our doorstep...................

By the way, Toddy has got the nod for the Eastleigh job, their budget is three times what ours is so it was a no-brainer for him.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

think someone said that Paul Cox had gone after the Eastleigh job as well.................
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:
It's about going down the affordable route. All of those names will be cheaper than established experienced managers, the one candidate right on our doorstep...................

By the way, Toddy has got the nod for the Eastleigh job, their budget is three times what ours is so it was a no-brainer for him.
I realise it has to be affordable but therefore are we really saying, when the club suggest there have been some strong candidates among the 129, that the best we could get was Nicholson/Joyce? Why not go the whole hog and bring back Compton or Saunders? I expect they would be cheap as well.

Just how bad would those applicants have to be if we go down the 'local' route?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

hector wrote: I realise it has to be affordable but therefore are we really saying, when the club suggest there have been some strong candidates among the 129, that the best we could get was Nicholson/Joyce? Why not go the whole hog and bring back Compton or Saunders? I expect they would be cheap as well.

Just how bad would those applicants have to be if we go down the 'local' route?
Just because they all applied doesn't mean that they didn't change their mind when they learnt what we could offer as a salary and funds for new players.

I guess back in 2009 your equivalent at Bournemouth was vowing never to set foot in Dean Court again because the club had gone for the "cheap local option" when they were in dire straits?

I wonder how he is enjoying missing out on their rise to the Prem? ;-)

Although I know that he (just like you) was full of bluster and returned as soon as they won a few games.

We will get the best that we can afford and anyone who still doesn't understand the situation and decides to petulantly boycott because their preferred appointment isn't made should be ashamed of themselves.

Let's not forget Hector that you enthusiastically championed the case for Paul Cox and look how well he has done.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well if Nico or someone similar with NO managerial experience takes this job, then they have big b*lls. Because lets face it, you will not have much room to bring in your own players so you will have to work with what you got.

AND they could destroy their whole managerial career in mmmmmmm about 8 weeks.

So they will need a ton of luck and the support of as many of us that they can muster.
TUST MEMBER
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Anyone, anyone - as long as it's not Compton.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

arcadia wrote:Look at the appointment from the chairman's point of view he's got limited money and in business you treat money like it's your own you don't waste it.
There are no guarantee's paying £1,000 a week for a manager and getting success but if you think you can get a manager you believe can do a similar job for less then you would be inclined to go that route. The problem being how long do you give the manager to prove himself. I think till the end of the season with a small bonus to keep us up. If we stay up he rewards him with a new contract.
The chairman cannot, please everyone but he will do what he thinks is best for the club. Best of luck to him because a lot of it is luck with a little bit of judgement in getting it right.
If he thinks that Nicholson is best for the club then the club is in very, very serious trouble. No amount of bluster and bullshit from him will change the fact that a totally untried coach or manager is not what is needed at this present time.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

If Nicho isn't good enough who do you people want? Give us the name of this oh so great northern failure you want to come in and manage the Gulls!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Just in case some people don't read BTPI - S Breed (under his pen name!) has decided to reply to some postings on there as follows:

Some interesting comments about myself tonite on here as was pointed out earlier I do read this forum and I contribute. Not so much these days but it's still a great read. However some comments are insulting. If people think ime crap at my job or not up to it well there isn't alot I can do but ask.everybody to open there eyes a little bit to what we inherited. Despite an horrendoes situation that many people would not have looked twice at we still took a leap of faith and tried to keep this club alive which so far we have been able to do despite the poor results. I have said in record and will say it again I will not write cheques this club can't cash I have not got a Thea as a club we have what we have and are trying to run the club in a stable manor in which every single penny counts. Critisise fair enough but please remember I am a person the same as the rest of you and some things run far deeper than a football club. For the person who sais ime just a fan and ime in no better to judge than any other fan well I find that comment very insulting. I am doing my very best if not more if that isn't good enough for some people I.e brucie then I respectfully ask to keep your insults to a minimum on either forum. I would like to know where these people where when the league where asking us to prove that we deserved a set of fixtures this season we stepped up and took that leap of faith. I know it's tough but did I ever say it would be east I said it would be bloody hard and a total battle that is what we are in a battle. But at least the club still has a chance unlike what would have happened if we had walked away. This isn't a sympathy ask it's just I am asking people just to think a little before the comment and insult. Stephen Breed

Please excuse all the spelling/grammar errors but it is only the Chief Executive speaking!!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

waited a week for the least wanted choice by the fans would be a smack in the teeth. ..All I want is a manager with experience ...There are so many out there

Added in 2 minutes 29 seconds:
chuff ...not a manager who has never managed....
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

westyorkshiregull wrote:waited a week for the least wanted choice by the fans would be a smack in the teeth. ..All I want is a manager with experience ...There are so many out there

Added in 2 minutes 29 seconds:
chuff ...not a manager who has never managed....
So name one! (that thwe club can afford)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Well who said nicholson is doing it for free...I'd rather Sean Joyce. ..played at same level and higher that present level and 15 years solid management and look where he has taken bideford
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Don't see why the CEO felt the need to stick his head above the parapets, he was/is a fan - he knows what goes on on forums and was certain for abuse at some point.

I admire the fact he's giving it a go but you'd think that there's more pressing matters at hand at the moment than to take the bait and start posting online. As the face of TUFC you would have though he'd at least run a quick spell check too, shocking. Regarding posting on fans forums he would do well to learn from a certain Mr A Candy.