Barnet v Torquay United - 30/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

bixieupnorth wrote:if we hold on here, i'm gonna put it down as a miracle and contact the pope to annoint him st martin!!
Well Bixie. have you started writing the letter yet. or are you going for a full audience with his eminence to prove the case for Martins beautification
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Shrewsbury fans are getting nervy, results not going their way; they're fearful of the play-offs and talking about 'the curse of their new ground'..
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Will be very interesting to see how the others cope under the pressure! Cracking job done tonight!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The pressure's definitely on Crawley and Cheltenham now. We're four points ahead of them.

Points in the bag are worth more than games in the hand..
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

not registered on that site dave, what does it say?
still keeping the faith
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Bearne1 »

Amazing how a season can turn, Cheltenham looked certain to claim a top 3 place but now they don't even look good enough to make the play offs!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote:not registered on that site dave, what does it say?
banging_them_in;1335719 wrote:this county is ours, we're Torquay united, this county is ours!
Interestingly enough your post.............
bixieupnorth wrote:this county is ours, we're Torquay united, this county is ours!

No way is that a coincidence ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Pretty wretched performance, but you know what they say about teams who manage to grind out a 1-0 when playing badly.......

Barnet, on their first half performance, deserved something from the game. They were a bit of a one-trick side, lumping it long for mcLeod to chase but it was working and catching us cold every time. The near side Lino did us no favours, but we defended poorly. No argument with the penalty decision, and a huge slice of luck that he slammed the outside of a post and away.

The goal was a stroke of luck and a sublime finish. Howe flicked on, which hit a defender and rebounded off Howe's back. Their defender slipped and injured himself, leaving Stevens in the clear. When it looked like he was going to drill across the keeper, he opened up and equisitely lobbed it instead. He managed to get it up, over and down from 6yds out. Brilliant.

From then on although Barnet forced lots of pressure they didn't get McLeod in the game as much. It wasn't comfortable watching but we ground it out.

Don't write off Barnet for gettin points off our rivals, they should have had some of us tonight. Regardless, great to mount the pressure on Crawley and Shrewsbury.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

you accusing me of plagiarism dave?? its just what i've heard neighbours and workmates singing as the auto spot swings from red to blue and back again!! i made it up all by myself, you can ask my mum!!

yr link doesnt seem to lead anywhere?? what you doing looking on there anyway mate??
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 30 Mar 2012, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Bearne1 »

I see Southend fans were a bit narked by our goal at Barnet, happy days!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote:you accusing me of plagiarism dave?? its just what i've heard neighbours and workmates singing as the auto spot swings from red to blue and back again!! i made it up all by myself, you can ask my mum!!

Not plagiarism, split personality maybe ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

What a result! A disappointing performance really, but once again we've ground out a terrific result from a very tough match.

Barnet were clearly up for the match, with nothing to lose, and had us on the back foot for the first half hour. The passing was off, defending sloppy, and the boys looked way off the pace.

After several warnings, Izale McLeod (who could give Tom Daley some competition in the diving this summer) ended up through on goal. He rounded Bobby, only for Olejnik to clip him as he went past. Clear pen, but McLeod managed to hit the post.

We improved a little as the half went on, with Danny the main outlet, but went into half time thanking our lucky stars it was still 0-0.

As ever, the boys came out for half time with renewed purpose, and went 1-0 up after Danny deliciously chipped the keeper when one on one.

A few chances for either side, but nothing clear cut, for the rest of the half. Barnet for all their possession never looked like scoring.

And so the full time whistle came, sparking delirium from the brilliant 556 Gulls fans - best fans in the league bar none! 

Officials: (especially the Lino in front of the away terrace) Dire.

Best performances: Oastler, Manse,  Danny and Bobby. Thought Morris showed some excellent touches when he came on too.

Looking forward to being at Plainmoor for the Accrington game!
Last edited by miltonkeynesgull on 30 Mar 2012, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i still dont understand mate?? its not a full moon so my personality hasnt quite divided yet!!
still keeping the faith
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Not plagiarism, split personality maybe ;-)
I also heard that you were beside yourself with angst sometimes Dave.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tattooedjackass
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by tattooedjackass »

I hope the home fan's showed some love to Morris tonight to get his confidence back up again and show them all were there to support every player on the pitch!
My Life To Live!
COYY