Portsmouth v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Trojan 67 wrote: There's a whole thread on the aforementioned. :nod: . . . . . .
. . . . . . I don't do half pints. :no:
Why not? Every little helps..!! =D
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Great win at a club in serious decline. Listening to Portsmouth Radio Express on way home the locals are not happy.
At Oxford last week I thought Chris H got the team and tactics wrong but today it was spot on. Not surprised Downes dropped to the bench as his recent performances have been erratic.
On the postitive side Billy Bodin not only scored his first goal of the season but the winner too. Pearce was totally in command and for me played far better without Downes alongside him. Labadie was fantastic as was Lathrope.
In the end it was a great team effort. Goodwin too was a standout while Tonge had his best game in a Torquay shirt, in the first half literally putting his body on the line to divert a certain goal.
We bossed the first half but not surprisingly had to defend for our lives after half-time. We had few goal chances in the second half and to be honest the nearest anyone got to the Portsmouth goal was the fox which 'came on' in the 70th minute running behind the goal before escaping into the stands.
Portsmouth wasted two glorious chances towards the end blazing both over the bar.
Good to see at the end what the win meant to the players and staff as they came to us fans.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gullscorer wrote: It's the Chinese Year of the 'rse.

Absolutely.

:clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Fantastic win today, I thought the team selection looked a little attacking at first, but to keep a clean sheet is brilliant.

How did we set up today? I assume 4-4-2 with Goodwin on the wing rather than up front?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Fantastic afternoon. What a day out!

Everyone excellent. Placed some really nice stuff first half and scored a quality goal, before keeping it really tight and absorbing a hell of a lot of pressure second half to see it out. Well done Greavsie - some brave decisions today that really paid off.

Quick mention for Pompey. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the ground, and off course the Yellow Army (all 741 of us) making immense noise. Bumped into Joe Oastler on the way in as well (think Aldershot's game was off) - a top man who, despite being a Portsmouth boy, came and sat in the away end with us. Legend.

Also a mention for the pitch invasion by a fox, and the brilliant interception by the ref stopping a intricately worked Pomley corner.

Poke - 7 - did he have a meaningful save to make? Can't remember one.
Tonge - 7 - liability first half but improved and did well in the second.
Pearce - 9 - fantastic, best I've seen him. Few kamikaze moments, but really solid overall.
O'Connor - 9 - as per Pearce. Fantastic display. So assured, confident and never put a foot wrong.
Nicho - 7 - first time this season where I've not seen him battling a pacy winger, and he did really well.
Goodwin - 8 - didn't see much of the ball in an advanced position but the amount of tracking back and defending he did was akin to a player far more experienced than him. Bodin, Stevens - take a look. That's how to defend as a winger. Superb
Labadie - 8 - powerful, controlled, excellent in the pass. Did well to set up the goal, too,
Lathrope - 9 - did so much quiet and understated work, barely misplaced a pass and superb in the tackle.
Bodin - 7 - did well with the goal but frustrating otherwise. Got the ball in good positions and then wasted the chance. A big improvement, though, and hopefully a confidence booster.
Stockley - 7 - won a lot of high ball and had a great shot saved first half. Did ok on a difficult day chances-wise.
Benyon - 6 - as with Stockley, a difficult day for the strikers but nothing came off for him today.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Really sorry I couldn't be there today-first time I've had to work on Saturday for 3 years :@
Great win and terrific turn-out from Yellow Army-now lets win some home matches!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

WHAT A GAME!!

I've never seen Torquay boss a half like they did the first 45 minutes.
Our midfield were immense for the majority of the game (and were, obviously, all the better when Manse came on ;-) )

Second half was more backs to the walls, but I can only really think of two heart stopping moments.

Tonge saved us in the first half with an almost goal line clearance (hurting himself in the process) - I was worried when I saw his name on the sheet as I'd heard not great things about him, but our back five (with Lathrope) were fantastic. Pearce was an absolute rock and formed a great partnership with O'Connor - even Nico was good today.

The only minus for me was Benners - he was muscled off the ball so many times and was frustrating to watch. Stockers was very good though.

Couldn't see Billy's goal very well from where we were, but he hit it well enough to make the net bulge in style.

A great day out with Dave and the crew from Southampton - good to meet Ben today, as well as Matt, Pea and Diamondgull too, albeit briefly at the ticket office.

If we play the rest of the season like we did today, we will not go down - we were very, very good.

The futures good - the futures yellow.

CHRISSY HARGREAVES YELLOW ARMY!!!!

1 fuc*ing nil....GET IN!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Six points ahead of Northampton and within a win (3 points) of climbing up the table. All to play for. Wins against Bury and Northampton in next two home games would make a huge difference.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Glad you had a good day out Scott, frustratingly for me and Billy, his game was called off at 11am, could have gone after all, ah well. Thanks everyone for the match reports.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Been with the lad all day so have just seen the result and GET IN!

Always enjoy reading through the pages of this forum after a win and by all accounts a great day for the Gulls !!!

Now can we have a home game please?

COYY !!!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Gutted that I wasn't able to go in the end today, but what a cracking result!! So proud of the boys!! Have all the confidence that Hargreaves is the man to lead us to safety! Can't wait for the next game, COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I rarely predict the score but last night on the Pompey Roll Call I predicted a 1-0 win and what a result. Brilliant turn out 741.

When you consider our average home gate this sort of support is incredible!

Chris Hargreaves must be congratulated on sorting out the defence. 1 goal conceded in 3 away games.

The signing of Labadie is a huge plus. What is interesting is the competition right through the team for a place. Astute management in my book.

So pleased Billy got on the score sheet at last.

We have now won 5 away and 2 at home.

The team must feel absolutely elated to play at Fratton Park in front of 15,000 and walk off with 3 huge points. Well done the lads.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Lucky blue shorts!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not sure if that was season defining result or not but listening to the radio it felt like it. Sounded like the alamo in the second half and with Mansell and Cruise ending up in the wide flank positions the team was completely bizarre.
All that matters was the result and it certainly was a famous victory in the end.
Loved the poster who said that Rudge had a good game when he wasn't even on the team bus.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Wow, heart stopping listening today. So glad Pearce had a stormer. Thought his performance in the home tie was immense and was gutted to see him dropped by Knill. I am at last beginning to believe that we have a chance of remaining a league club next season. A long way to go but the team must be buzzing now. Bring it on!!!