Advantages of playing in the National League

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Not sure where to put this posting, but this seems the most appropriate thread in the circumstances. An excellent article in the Non-League Paper below, although I would disagree with the writer's claim that the club has been in almost contunual decline for 15 years - more like 6 or 7 I'd say, unless he is including the Chris Roberts era, which was indeed godawful.

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... this-time/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Thanks for sharing that, a decent appraisal I thought.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

A sound article which hopefully will remind fans what awaits us next season. We go into next season with a manager who has totally turned us around but paitence is what he and the team needs at a much higher level.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

fred wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 23:09 A sound article which hopefully will remind fans what awaits us next season. We go into next season with a manager who has totally turned us around but paitence is what he and the team needs at a much higher level.
Cracking article, but is Gary Johnson at Torquay for consolidation.....no
Lucy
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Now that we are back in the National League, I wonder if BBC Radio Devon come crawling back wanting to broadcast live commentary.

If they do I hope the club tell them where to go.
Hopefully the TUFC radio conmentary has fared well financially enough for them to continue next season.
I for one would pay my annual subscription right now, it has got better and better all season.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Wubble U wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 08:26 Now that we are back in the National League, I wonder if BBC Radio Devon come crawling back wanting to broadcast live commentary.

Hopefully the TUFC radio conmentary has fared well financially enough for them to continue next season.
I for one would pay my annual subscription right now, it has got better and better all season.
Maybe you need to update your favourite player?!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

budegull1954 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 15:57 although I would disagree with the writer's claim that the club has been in almost contunual decline for 15 years - more like 6 or 7 I'd say, unless he is including the Chris Roberts era, which was indeed godawful.
I think it is reasonable to argue the club has been in continual decline for 15 years.
15 years ago we won automatic promotion under Leroy and since then, apart from the play off against Stevenage in 2011, we have come no where close to achieving that level of football again.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

Wubble U wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 08:26 Now that we are back in the National League, I wonder if BBC Radio Devon come crawling back wanting to broadcast live commentary.

This.

As an exile I relied a lot on the BBC commentaries when we're in the NL. But when they decided to drop us like a stone, TUFC Radio stepped in to do a sterling job and cover us in the NLS. I hope the club tell the BBC to do one.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

I'm watching the Orient V Braintree game and one of the hosts asked the Braintree manager what his thoughts were on the rumours that two clubs in the national league may opt for voluntary relegation, which could mean Braintree stay up. I can't find much online about it. That would be a strange thing. Anyone heard anything? There must be some clubs in dire financial situations in that league.
Newcastle Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kyle Cameron

Post by Newcastle Gull »

We can’t wait to be traveling to Hartlepool
Gateshead Ext, like a trip to the shops for us,
Will not stop us from doing our 14hr round trip to sunny Torquay for a home game.😜
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Newcastle Gull wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 12:47 We can’t wait to be traveling to Hartlepool
Gateshead Ext, like a trip to the shops for us,
Will not stop us from doing our 14hr round trip to sunny Torquay for a home game.😜
Welcome to the forum mate! :)
I thought our 9hr round trip was bad for a home game! =D

Looking forward to all the Northern games - just hope that my holiday at the end of Sept doesnt coincide with one! :@ =D
Especially looking forward to visiting posh Harrogate - Have seen TUFC there already in that FA Cup replay.
Looks like Stockport and maybe Chorley or even Bradford Park Ave as well! :clap:
Up the Gulls!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Uptongull wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 12:38 I'm watching the Orient V Braintree game and one of the hosts asked the Braintree manager what his thoughts were on the rumours that two clubs in the national league may opt for voluntary relegation, which could mean Braintree stay up. I can't find much online about it. That would be a strange thing. Anyone heard anything? There must be some clubs in dire financial situations in that league.
I know Gateshead and Ebbsfleet have both had financial problems this season, perhaps the rumours are about these 2 clubs.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Teams who come to Plainmoor not wasting time and playing for a draw from the start. Unless of course we're top of the league.
Teams not raising their game against Torquay, as the biggest game of their season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

standupsitdown wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 20:48 Teams not raising their game against Torquay, as the biggest game of their season.
I always wonder why people put this as an advantage. So teams supposedly raised their game against us in the NLS but we bossed this league.
Alternatively they won't do this in the Premier, but the last time we were at this level we were getting beaten left, right and centre.