Racism in Football

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

PhilGull wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 16:54 Why would you want to 'wolf-whistle' someone? What makes you think it should be an acceptable thing to do?

I dont think it is acceptable, never have - but a hate crime? Really! don't you think an educated change of the populations attitude would suffice, rather than using up police resources for something that is a non-crime

Hope I haven't offended you - please don't report me - :bow:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Perhaps it's a hate crime now to sing the following ditty:

:na: We hate Argyle
And we hate Argyle.
We hate Argyle
And we hate Argyle
We hate Argyle
And we hate Argyle.
We are the Argyle....haters!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

There was a huge spike in reported racial offences immediately prior to and after the 2016 referendum that accounts for some of that increase earlier illustrated by Mellow.

Modgull - Your son is clearly a good lad and a credit to you.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I'm not sure exactly about other countries but sometimes I feel ashamed to be British. We are so racist that I believe that the whole Brexit farce at the moment is simply down too one reason, racism. People were always moaning about all these bloody foreigners from the European Union coming to our country and taking our Jobs. When first Poland and more recently Romania joined the EU the outcry was discusting. Locally, I can remember when a Newton Abbot taxi firm took on 15 Romanian drivers because the owner had vacancies for drivers for over two years. I am also aware of a farmer in the south hams who recently lost an estimated £ 40,000 due to crop's in his field remained unpicked and rotted in the fields. In previous years the farmer relied on European workers as did the taxi owner. Today if you wish to book a taxi, during the day you have to wait at least an hour for one to become evalable because most of these foreign workers have returned home.
In my opinion, racism is not just a football issue, it's endemic in our society.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Well I feel proud be British.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Yeah, I didn’t really want to raise the referendum to put over a view on Brexit, it was merely to point out the spike in racial offences I mentioned, which is from Home Office data.

I’m reading elsewhere that TUFC handed over a banning letter for alleged racial abuse this weekend just gone.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Teigngull wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 18:44 Well I feel proud be British.
Why?

Not being deliberately obtuse, I'm asking a genuine question.

I just never really understand why people are 'proud' to be one nationality or another, when generally, they have very little control over it. I'm British solely because it was the land mass my mother happened to be standing on when her waters broke. That's it. I didn't get any say in it. It's an accident of geography, and nothing more. I might as well say "I'm proud to be 6 feet tall!".

I'll never hide that living in England shaped me (even when I'm a citizen of another country, as I will be soon), but I won't ever say I'm "proud" about it. It's just...a thing. It doesn't seem to serve any sort of purpose. (well, the accent has certainly helped... :devil: )

Probably the biggest problem that I have with patriotism is that it is usually blind - if somebody is proud that they come from the country that colonised the world, spreading the English language globally, creating an Empire, etc etc etc, that's fine, if they also then claim pride over the negative things that e.g. colonialism caused. Saying "this the greatest country in the world!" is an idiotic thing to say blindly, because a: you can never really measure which is the 'best' anyway, and b: most people are basing this claim on having lived in about 0.5% of the countries available.

(I've also had this argument with many Americans, and woo...let me tell you, Americans do not like being asked why they're proud to be an American. "Because we have freedom!" was the funniest response I've had)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I've definitely heard a few stupid shouts from our fans before but people are quick to condemn them. My Mrs is mixed race and I've taken her to a few games over the years and generally people are friendly and don't treat you any differently. I did feel uncomfortable at Chippenham at home this season this "yoof" (18/19 year old) just staring at me and the Mrs with quite negative body language - I could almost sense his disapproval. I think it is just a case of educating people and killing them with kindness (that's our collective view anyway) and as we are based near Birmingham it is completely normal to us have a really diverse community but in Torquay maybe people are less used to it. Anyway she does enjoy it overall although she started watching Netflix at Solihull away last season (I was tempted under Owers).
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

I had a perception wrongly, that French people are miserable and sullen,I attended a funeral a few years ago in Paris ,a city again supposedly where the citizens are disliked even by the province's.However though not a particularly happy occasion the French people present were some of the most friendly and pleasant people I've met anywhere. Generally it's a form of ignorance to judge a person or culture without knowing anything about them.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

happytorq wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 20:00 Why?

Not being deliberately obtuse, I'm asking a genuine question.

I just never really understand why people are 'proud' to be one nationality or another, when generally, they have very little control over it. I'm British solely because it was the land mass my mother happened to be standing on when her waters broke. That's it. I didn't get any say in it. It's an accident of geography, and nothing more. I might as well say "I'm proud to be 6 feet tall!".

I'll never hide that living in England shaped me (even when I'm a citizen of another country, as I will be soon), but I won't ever say I'm "proud" about it. It's just...a thing. It doesn't seem to serve any sort of purpose. (well, the accent has certainly helped... :devil: )

Probably the biggest problem that I have with patriotism is that it is usually blind - if somebody is proud that they come from the country that colonised the world, spreading the English language globally, creating an Empire, etc etc etc, that's fine, if they also then claim pride over the negative things that e.g. colonialism caused. Saying "this the greatest country in the world!" is an idiotic thing to say blindly, because a: you can never really measure which is the 'best' anyway, and b: most people are basing this claim on having lived in about 0.5% of the countries available.

(I've also had this argument with many Americans, and woo...let me tell you, Americans do not like being asked why they're proud to be an American. "Because we have freedom!" was the funniest response I've had)
Totally agree with you. Its a pure accident of birth. I was born in Torquay and am English but have many Dutch friends and I love the Netherlands ! Hup Oranje !!

Classic USA response. :lol: :lol: :lol:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 18:14 When ...Romania joined the EU the outcry was disgusting.
I agree! take no heed of crime records showing a growing crime wave as 50 Romanians are arrested per day. Its only petty crime of child sex attacks,violent assaults, human traffickiing and prostitution offences. So what if the precentage of Romanians in this country arrested by police has risen 16% to 19,841. We need to look at the positives. They have a wonderful education system called the “Romanian Crime Academy”, which recruits members and provides them with training such as how to avoid being followed and how to defeat forensic techniques. Sounds like a good 'get rich quick' course too me.

This is why I am a Remainer because with freedom of movement we are legally unable, under EU Law, to stop people with criminal records or belonging to crime gangs from coming to the UK from EU countries. All these Brexit supporters claiming to be British and wanting controlled borders - I am sick to the teeth of them.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes agree with a point made above, it is ignorant to judge a person by their formed opinions and also the reasons why the person has formed them. Personally a son of a career British soldier, I was born in Germany, lived in Hong Kong, visited Malaysia and Thailand, two further tours of Germany, made numerous trips to France, Holland and Belgium, as well as Austria, Luxembourg, Italy and even the former Yugoslavia, I could list the various regions of these countries I've been to, but would take far too long, safe to say been to more than just the capitols.

Whilst in Germany travelled around that country, the army housing in Munster used back onto a civilian German housing estate, we used mix both at times comfortably, and not so comfortably with the German kids.

So why is it, every time whether it online or face to face, do I (and others) who admit to supporting leave, get instantly accused of being a little Englander, thick, racist, not understanding of foreign cultures, scared of Johnny foreigner, and so many other things.

You know what, no matter the nationality, the colour, the creed, the religion, there is good and bad in all. The over-riding point for me is, why can't you say it any more with out being accused of racism.

I'm extremely proud first and foremost to be English, and secondly British, I fully support every persons right to be proud of their nationality regardless of where they come from.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

dawlishmatt wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 18:14 I'm not sure exactly about other countries but sometimes I feel ashamed to be British. We are so racist that I believe that the whole Brexit farce at the moment is simply down too one reason, racism. People were always moaning about all these bloody foreigners from the European Union coming to our country and taking our Jobs. When first Poland and more recently Romania joined the EU the outcry was discusting. Locally, I can remember when a Newton Abbot taxi firm took on 15 Romanian drivers because the owner had vacancies for drivers for over two years. I am also aware of a farmer in the south hams who recently lost an estimated £ 40,000 due to crop's in his field remained unpicked and rotted in the fields. In previous years the farmer relied on European workers as did the taxi owner. Today if you wish to book a taxi, during the day you have to wait at least an hour for one to become evalable because most of these foreign workers have returned home.
In my opinion, racism is not just a football issue, it's endemic in our society.
Maybe you can tell us why you think Brexit is racist? Again why do you think racism is endemic in society? Do you think racism exists amongst the Black and Asian communities? I work as a lorry driver, alongside two Polish drivers do you think racism exists in Poland or an anti-Islamic feeling exists amongst the Polish.
Formerly known as forevertufc
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Agree ,nothing wrong with being proud of your place of birth if you are happy with your lot and its a fair and just society for most which in Britain generally is .There are countries around the globe where freedom of speech and tolerance of different religions, people's etc are not so forgiving so personally I'm proud to be British.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

How can brexit be racist ffs ?
Whats wrong with policing your own borders ?
Surely you get to decide who enters through your front door, so why can't we as a nation ?
What is racist about objecting to our nhs being used by health surfers who have never paid one penny into the system.
What is racist about putting the people of our country first ?
What is wrong with expecting other countries to stop hardened criminals arriving on these shores to commit their awful crimes ?
Why is it racist to expect your elected government to deliver what was voted for in June 2016 ?
Why is it racist for the majority of those who voted in the referendum in 2016 saying enough is enough.