Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote:Well if that is the last of the players with 4 votes, and only one of my selection has featured so far (Tommy Northcott with 4), my selection must have been utterly predictable! ;-)
NONE of my top ten have appeared yet and now we're up to SIX votes !!! That means at least five other fans voted with me for Karl Hawley ......... ONLY JOKING, LADS !!!!!! :na:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: NONE of my top ten have appeared yet and now we're up to SIX votes !!! That means at least five other fans voted with me for Karl Hawley ......... ONLY JOKING, LADS !!!!!! :na:
Matron! Tommo's out of bed again and drinking his shaving water! ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The second Gull to pick up 6 points is another who was at the club around half a century ago. It's…

Reg Wyatt

Time spent at club: 1964-1967
Gulls Appearances: 80
Gulls Goals: 6

Reg started his professional career down the A38 at Plymouth Argyle, and that is where much of the defenders career was spent. He first got into the game while playing for local side Oak Villa, as well as featuring for a Plymouth schoolboys side. He joined Argyle in 1950, but didn't make an appearance for the club until 1955. His position changed from attacker to centre half, and he was a regular for the Greens, making over 200 appearances in a 9 year spell with the club. In 1964, he moved to Torquay United, playing regular football for three seasons. In his spell as a Gull, Wyatt scored 6 times, compared to the 2 he scored for his previous employers.

After leaving United, Reg went back to the non-league scene with Wadebridge Town.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Plymouth Gull wrote:The second Gull to pick up 6 points is another who was at the club around half a century ago. It's…

Reg Wyatt

Reg started his professional career down the A38 at Plymouth Argyle, and that is where much of the defenders career was spent. He first got into the game while playing for local side Oak Villa, as well as featuring for a Plymouth schoolboys side. He joined Argyle in 1950, but didn't make an appearance for the club until 1955. His position changed from attacker to centre half, and he was a regular for the Greens, making over 200 appearances in a 9 year spell with the club. In 1964, he moved to Torquay United, playing regular football for three seasons. In his spell as a Gull, Wyatt scored 6 times, compared to the 2 he scored for his previous employers.

After leaving United, Reg went back to the non-league scene with Wadebridge Town.
Reg wasn't in mine but I can see how he picked up 6 votes. I played against him when he was with Wadebridge - at corners it was like trying to mark a giraffe! ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: Reg wasn't in mine but I can see how he picked up 6 votes. I played against him when he was with Wadebridge - at corners it was like trying to mark a giraffe! ;-)
Ah - he's the first of my ten to be included ! Glad there's five other old duffers besides me who remember him fondly. Come on, Plymouth Gull - there must be a sepia photo of him somewhere !! I bet Stefano did a bit of shirt tugging when he was marking him for corners ......... ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I had no such luck Tomo! I tried :(.

The next player to feature on the list is someone who didn't actually cross my mind, but I am delighted to see him feature, and with a respectable number of votes too. It's…

Wayne Carlisle

Time spent at club: 2008-2011
Gulls Appearances: 82
Gulls Goals: 10

Wayno's career started at Crystal Palace, making around 50 appearances over five years at Selhurst Park. He spent 3 months of the 01/02 campaign at Swindon, making 10 league starts for the Robins. He left Palace to join Bristol Rovers on a permanent deal, spending two years at the Memorial Stadium. In two years of struggle for the club, Carlisle proved a success, finding the net 15 times in over 70 games for the club. He moved back to London with Leyton Orient in 2004, spending two years there, but starting chances were few and far between, making just 30 over the two years.

It was in January 2006 that Carlisle first moved to Devon, with Exeter City. Carlisle is remembered fondly down the road aswell as here, making over 50 league starts under Paul Tisdale. It was his role in the 2008 BSP playoffs that really made him noticed in TQ1, as he scored for Exeter both at St James Park and Plainmoor, and City went on to achieve promotion at Wembley. Surprisingly, Wayne was offered a fresh deal at SJP that summer, but opted to join Torquay instead.

It was the end of his first season where Wayne is really remembered, as it was his delicious cross that was powered in by Tim Sills to seal a return to the Football League. His performances didn't stop then, and he was on form for United in League 2, before injuries had an effect. Once his two year deal expired in 2010, he was then offered a 6-month contract, but injuries still hindered him and he retired from pro football in January 2011.

Since then, he has had a spell working with Truro City, and holds the role of Director of Football at Ivybridge Community College.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Ah - Mr Carlisle. Player number 2 from my list to feature.

Good memories of seeing him play. Have we had a more natural winger since he retired? Also, as Nick highlighted, he will forever be remembered as delivering THAT cross.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I've not had one from my list yet. Not one. But a fair few of mine will do well.

There's an older one who obviously did better than I thought. That one was a pass me down from family, as I never saw this one club man play.(it's in the rules :rules: ) Perhaps in tomo and stefano's 10?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

Just checking back, but he won't be in stefano's list. Bit before your time, stef.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Rjc70 wrote:I've not had one from my list yet. Not one. But a fair few of mine will do well.

There's an older one who obviously did better than I thought. That one was a pass me down from family, as I never saw this one club man play.(it's in the rules :rules: ) Perhaps in tomo and stefano's 10?
Let me guess, RJC ........... Don Mills ?? :-D
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Rjc70 wrote:I've not had one from my list yet. Not one. But a fair few of mine will do well.
I'm guessing the legend that is Lee Mansell featured highly in yours....

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

Not Don Mills. He did play in the same team as him though, tomo. On the wing. :)

And no Scott - Lee Mansell certainly didn't feature.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Wayne Carlisle, made my top ten. Thoroughly likeable and gave his all.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Plymouth Gull wrote:The second Gull to pick up 6 points is another who was at the club around half a century ago. It's…

Reg Wyatt

One of my all time favourite centre half's. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Rjc70 wrote:Not Don Mills. He did play in the same team as him though, tomo. On the wing. :)

And no Scott - Lee Mansell certainly didn't feature.
Ahhhhh ....... must be RONNIE SHAW !!! I expect Stefano played against him as well !!!!! ;-)