Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

This thread was started after getting smashed by Wrexham. Many said GJ should be given more time. Well since then we have had 5 more league games including 3 home games against Scunthorpe, Maidenhead and Altrincham. We’ve scraped 2 points in these 5 games.

How long will the club let this continue without making a change. I wonder who will be gone first Hargreaves’s at Yeovil or GJ.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I’d look at the Truro boss, Wotton. On the premise that he brings Tyler Harvey with him.
The gulls are going up
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

If you look at the goalscoring records of Goodwin, Andrews and Jarvis none of them have any record of being able to score goals. I'd understand if any of them had been prolific at a lower level in the last year or two. Its no wonder we've been failing to score goals. Quite why we'd bring these 3 in and expect to score goals to win games seems optimistic at best. The failure to recruit in the key positions through the spine of the team seems like Johnson's key failing.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Just seen u tube of Gary after last night's game at Eastleigh

Yet another defeat Another penalty given away Another Red Card.

He appeared a lot more concerned ..as he should be.

Was'nt hiding under his baseball cap and spoke very genuinely about his and Aaron's position in the club at the moment.

Injuries , suspensions and lack of usable players are all adding to the problems at present.

Really don't know the answer. When asked about bringing more new faces in he always says they need to be better than what he's got!! Well in my opinion that is wearing thin !! He needs to act fast now before the trap door gets even wider.

He always says he has talks with George and that the money is there ,,if needed !! Don't need to have a very IQ to that it is..and very quick
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

A very honest and open interview I thought.

It is clear that he is doing all he can with this bunch . Let down by his signings who have not cut it at this level, and most never will.

Injuries have hampered us without doubt, but complete lack of discipline falls on his shoulders, as do his signings. A bunch of kids will not get us out of this utter mess. Something has to change for sure.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree totally about the discipline. Stick with Gary, so long as he bollocks them for stupidity!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I didn't see any lack of discipline last night though. I don't think Jarvis is stupid enough to deliberately arm a bloke in the face twice. The right back cheated and got him sent off. Have a look at how he rolls around the ground about 4 or 5 times clutching his head then sneaks a look up to see if Jarvis has been sent off.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I do agree with that - thought Jarvis was hard done by for both bookings. Players feigning injury on both occasions. Even for the penalty their player rolled over so many times I thought he was going to end up on the touchline.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

There is no way all of a sudden Gary Johnson is a bad manager. He is one of the best managers we have had at this club, ever!

The big challenges have been around losing some brilliant players such as Little, MacDonald, Lemonheigh-Evans, Wright, Wynter, Lewis, and then three brilliant loans like Armstrong, Wearne, and McKenna. Jesus wept, that is a hell of a lot of players and quality to lose. Not to mention losing good players from the previous season due to play-off heartache.

Two of our best players are aging (Hall and Moxey) and we need to wrap them up in cotton wool. The problem is we can't even get a squad of 15 together each week meaning they're constantly forced into action.

Is Johnson perfect? No
Has he signed some players that haven't done enough? Yes

But it's a mammoth task to replace all those players and clearly, we must have missed out on some targets because Johnson would have wanted a bigger squad together.

Once we get some of the injured/suspended guys back we have a reasonable squad. I've got no doubt Gary will get into the loan market again to improve us and give us much-needed depth!

We would've got more points without the recent sendings off as well!

Regardless of everyone's opinions, we have to unite and get behind the boys! I genuinely think the fans can make a big difference.
There's never a dull moment that's for sure!

COYY
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Yeovil have acted, Hargreaves gone
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

Time for Johnson to go and his hangers on. Unfortunately he is too “careful” to just leave and no doubt will want to be paid off
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

thebigp1 wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 10:25 Yeovil have acted, Hargreaves gone
Fair play to them , they have someone at the top that can make a decision. :clap:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

thebigp1 wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 10:25 Yeovil have acted, Hargreaves gone
Can't believe he got the job in the first place tbh.........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Cooper ex Forest Green linked apparently 🤔
sevilla99
New Signing
New Signing

Post by sevilla99 »

Midlandgull wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 21:40 There is no way all of a sudden Gary Johnson is a bad manager. He is one of the best managers we have had at this club, ever!

The big challenges have been around losing some brilliant players such as Little, MacDonald, Lemonheigh-Evans, Wright, Wynter, Lewis, and then three brilliant loans like Armstrong, Wearne, and McKenna. Jesus wept, that is a hell of a lot of players and quality to lose. Not to mention losing good players from the previous season due to play-off heartache.

Two of our best players are aging (Hall and Moxey) and we need to wrap them up in cotton wool. The problem is we can't even get a squad of 15 together each week meaning they're constantly forced into action.

Is Johnson perfect? No
Has he signed some players that haven't done enough? Yes

But it's a mammoth task to replace all those players and clearly, we must have missed out on some targets because Johnson would have wanted a bigger squad together.

Once we get some of the injured/suspended guys back we have a reasonable squad. I've got no doubt Gary will get into the loan market again to improve us and give us much-needed depth!

We would've got more points without the recent sendings off as well!

Regardless of everyone's opinions, we have to unite and get behind the boys! I genuinely think the fans can make a big difference.
There's never a dull moment that's for sure!

COYY
All the above points by Midlandgull are absolutely accurate.

Just like to reinforce the point that GJ is one of the best managers the club has had in it's long history- Frank O' Farrell perhaps shades it as regards the all time best but I would still rate Gary up near the top.

The major problems have been the exodus of some very good players before the start of the season and the difficulties experienced in replacing them because of financial constraints.

Surely one of the more obvious ways to assist the club in the present situation is for all genuine supporters to get down to Plainmoor for every home match if they can afford it, provide the club with additional gate revenue and get fully behind the team and Gary.

Positivity is required not constant carping and criticism by the usual armchair warrior culprits