Angus MacDonald set to return...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Angus MacDonald set to return...

Post by CP Gull »

.... It seems that Gus MacDonald is rejoining us on loan.

No real surprise as he was the obvious choice, given that Lingy has said he wanted to bring another centre half in and he had already expressed a desire to resign him in the summer before he opted to join AFC Wimbledon instead. Think he had a bit of a torrid time at AFCW and ended up leaving earlier than expected once Terry Brown was sacked. Certainly an able back up to Saah and Downes though based on what we saw of him at Crawley last year though.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/story ... tory.html?
Last edited by CP Gull on 20 Nov 2012, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Lets hope he can score goals :-D

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Kirtys Mackenzie is ample replacement for Saah or Downes short term, he was immense on his debut at Vale Park.

Martin, you're a total arsehole mate.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Oh dear. No problem with Angus but, unless we have a long-term injury I don't know about we don't need him.
Is Ling worried about the number of goals conceded? Are we going to see a 5-4-1 on Saturday? :(
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Bit harsh Andy. He's clearly stated why he thinks we need COVER in that area. Having a youth team player as your ONLY cover for centreback is not good team management.

Irrespective of whether we think he's playing the correct formation or not, there are plenty of players who can play up front or out wide.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Finally, the man to bring some fluidity into our attacking play!

No, welcome back, Gus. Ling is obviously playing it safe (!) with a busy December looming, both in terms of the position he's bolstering and the man he's bringing in. Downes is one booking away from suspension, I think, so it's almost certain we won't be lining up with the Downes-Saah partnership right through until the New Year. I do, though, think it's a shame Kirtys MacKenzie now has little chance of adding to his excellent first appearance.

Again, I can't help but come back to Ling's transfer dealings in the summer. Tom Cruise was brought in to replace LRT, who was considered inadequate for the necessary LB and CB cover. Ling later made the frank admission Cruise, too, is unable to play as a centre-back. The manager made some sloppy decisions building his squad for the season, and now after the FA Cup embarrassment we seemingly don't have the budget to compensate for our loss of players and form.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Bit harsh Andy. He's clearly stated why he thinks we need COVER in that area. Having a youth team player as your ONLY cover for centreback is not good team management.

Irrespective of whether we think he's playing the correct formation or not, there are plenty of players who can play up front or out wide.

I'm not one to hold my punches Steve and i don't think i'm being harsh at all. McKenzie is raw, young and inexperienced but he was chucked in at the deep end for his debut at Vale Park and could have been our man of the match. Considering Vale are close to being the best team in the division at the minute and we were in their own back yard, i wouldn't hesitate at sticking him in again if Saah or Downes were out. If he can contain Vale than he has nothing to fear from anyone else in this league. So for me McKenzie is cover for Saah and Downes, we don't NEED cover for a player that can cover. It's f*cking stupid imo. If worst case scenario happens and both centre halves are out at the same time then i'm sure someone can come in and do a job whilst Ling uses the loan market PROPERLY and THEN goes out and gets some cover. We don't NEED cover, we NEED a fresh attacking face either in the midfield or up front , not as cover but because we desperately are in need of one. The loan market is there for players that may help us if we need them. We need attacking players and not defenders.

I actually do agree with you Steve that i think also that we have enough attackers or forward players to do the business anyway but as Martin persists in deploying tactics that render them pretty much defunct then a new face or two up there is the only way of hoping for any increased goalscoring success. Desperately sad really and i stand by my comment, total arsehole really.

I must also say that i like McDonald and i think he's a good replacement and would welcome him with open arms but we don't need him at the moment.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

All Torquay fans have my deepest sympathy at the moment.

The man is indeed a complete arse Andy.
CUFC4LIFE
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

PhilGull wrote:Oh dear. No problem with Angus but, unless we have a long-term injury I don't know about we don't need him.
Is Ling worried about the number of goals conceded? Are we going to see a 5-4-1 on Saturday? :(
no...hes playing a 8-1-1 system @ York
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

6-3-1 or 7-3-0 Saturday and for the rest of the season; we'll remain more or less unbeaten and saved from relegation.. :-D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

TCP wrote:All Torquay fans have my deepest sympathy at the moment.

His successor is doing well, I note 8/

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Oh we won't stop scoring now........
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We'll score again, don't know where don't know when, but I know we'll score again some sunny day. :-/

This kind of backs what I have been saying, there clearly is money in the pot for loan top up signings LRT was released because it was felt the squad needed a greater defensive option, Cruise was signed and it appears he can't well um you know, whats is it, yep thats it actually play in defence.

For me a winger was needed to cover for Morris and Macklin both long term injuries and Stevens now twice been out with short term injuries, that surely would have given some attacking options that we are sadly missing right now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Signing MacDonald just emphasises how defensive Martin Ling is. We've now got; Oastler, Saah, Downes, Nicholson, Cruise, Leadbitter, MacDonald, Mackenzie as defenders, that's 8...8!!!! Why Lingy, why bring in another defender, when we can't score goals, on a terrible run and dropping down the table each week! Completely ridiculous if you ask me!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

TCP wrote:All Torquay fans have my deepest sympathy at the moment.

Looking at the Conference table right now you need the sympathy far more than any of us. Martin Ling got us in the play-offs last season, has us near the play-off spots again and you're where exactly?

Give me the honesty and integrity of Ling any day of the week.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com