A curiosity

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

yellow wrote: Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but it does involve looking back at something with different eyes and in a land that time has forgotten.

In those days there is no doubt it was a huge event but to put it into context;

There was no Sky
The only live football was the FA Cup final and internationals watched in black and white on a low definition small rounded screen TV.
The European cup was contested by the champions of a country.
Going to Wembley was an impossible dream (there were no play-offs or Paint Pot trophies).

The aforementioned would mean that if the draw was repeated now that it would still be a big event, but not huge. The currency has been devalued my friend.
Bugger all to do with Sky! More to do with me not being 12 if it happens again ;-)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Trojan 67 wrote:And Southampton Gull calls me Walter. :|

Read back through the thread and see that Walter has more in common with other posters.

Dumb asses. :lol:

I know precisely what Camb was inferring . . . one off cup ties get disproportionate exposure.

Those 4 promotion/relegation/Wembley appearances have all happened on my watch, and incidentally, with ref. to the original post, although I didn't see the game, I've still got my late father's 1965 Spurs ticket.
Hey Troj. I thought you were there when Torquay were formed. And I did see the Original Spurs match but I haven't got a ticket.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843