Torquay Fans Player of the Season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Torquay Fans Player of the Season

Post by Gulliball »

If anyone was wondering why I create man of the match threads after every game, it's to record the performance of the squad over the season. The idea is that at the end of the season it's hopefully a useful tool to look back on and judge the season by - each of the 46 games are worth exactly the same, unlike the traditional vote for player of the season, which tends to heavily favour the players who have played well in the last few months of the season. We normally get a pretty clean consensus for each game, so I like to think it is pretty accurate.

For any people new to the site, the 2010/11 results can be found here: http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Guy Branston won what became a 2 horse race narrowly ahead of Chris Zebroski.

It was also pretty interesting to use to judge players who were here for different lengths of time. It was a simple concept, total points divided by number of appearances, but reavealed some fairly interesting results. For 2010/11 Craig Stanley beat Guy Branston and Chris Zebroski into 2nd and 3rd to win after his hugely impressive three month loan spell (2010/11 thread - http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;-).

For each game the man of the match scores 7 points, with 2nd place scoring 5 points, 3rd 4 points, 4th 3 points, 5th 2 points and everybody else nominated at least once scores a point.

The current standings for the 2011/12 season, after the Plymouth game (24 of 46 played) are as follows:

1. Lee Mansell... (82)
2. Bobby Olejnik... (76)
3. Eunan O'Kane... (62)
4. Rene Howe... (53)
5. Mark Ellis... (46)
=6. Kevin Nicholson... (40)
=6. Chris Robertson... (40)
8. Damon Lathrope... (36)
9. Joe Oastler... (34)
10. Billy Bodin... (29)
11. Danny Stevens... (28)
12. Taiwo Atieno... (20)
13. Brian Saah... (19)
=14. Ian Morris... (6)
=14. Chris McPhee... (6)
=16. Billy Kee... (2)
=16. Lloyd Macklin... (2)
=18. Marin Rice... (0)
=18. Lathanial Rowe-Turner... (0)
=18. Daniel Leadbitter... (0)
=18. Ed Palmer... (0)
=18. Saul Halpin... (0)
=18. Ashley Yeoman... (0)
=18. Ray Spear... (0)
=18. Tom Aldred... (0)

Lee Mansell started the season on fire, and has kept his lead all season. Bobby, Eunan and Rene look likely to be the main challengers to him, depending of course on if they stay here for the full season.

I hope this is interesting to a few of you. If you do attend a match then a reply to the match threads would be greatly appreciated - the more replies to a thread, the clearer the consensus of opinion.

Chris
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Amazing work Gulliball. It's no surprise to see Manse heading the table, he really is a warrior. Bobby has been immense every time i've seen him ( Sheff Utd blunder apart! ) and he can run him close. Interesting stats nonetheless. Thanks.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Where did McPhee steal those 6 points from?!

Encouraging to notice that the top 11 on the list are our actual first 11. Ling knows who is playing well or they jut had more chance to impress us fans?
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

McPhee scored one point from Rotherham at home and five from Macclesfield at home, the 6th and 9th games of the season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Chris,
Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to normalise total pts by starts this season(all comps). Pulled the starts data from the .com site. :-/

This tells another story which is the contribution of Ellis since his reinstatement and begs the question when Saah will get back in...
Also, CM is not in wooden spoon place... :O

Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (28.43 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Damn lies and statistics.... :whistle:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Yeah, the form of Ellis has been incredibly consistent since he got into the team, something he's taken a lot of stick from in the past.

When I post the full end of season results I'll include all the stats, particularly the ones you produced there. I didn't this time as there's not much to compare just yet, once players come and go it will get more interesting. I'll also include any other interesting trends which appear over the season - to date the 2011/12 squad has shared the points around a lot more than 2010/11 when a few players were well ahead of the others. This seasons winner will probaby score far fewer points than Branston last year, but the rest of the squad will be much closer to him - players like Stevens and Oastler for example are already very close to overtaking their totals for the whole of last season already.
www.torquayfanstats.com