Torquay Summer Transfers Thread INs and OUTs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

AndyC wrote:Okay then, so based on his statement on the website, what are we looking at...he appears to want all 14 here at the end of last season to stay.

GK (2) - VACANT, VACANT

FB (4) - Mansell (for now), Nicholson, Rowe-Turner, VACANT

CB (4) - Ellis, Robertson, Palmer, VACANT

CM (4) - O'Kane, Oastler, Lathrope, VACANT

WING (4) - Stevens, Halpin, VACANT, VACANT

ST (4) - Kee, Zebroski, Yeoman, VACANT

Couple there who might not be close to L2 standard, but could still improve rapidly given their age. But I did like the latest part of his interview. Seems to know exactly what he wants, and might even have a Plan B or perhaps (shock, horror) Plan C!!

I'd suggest that as many as five of the VACANT spots might be for regular starters.
Yep would agree with that. Have to question whether Yeoman and Palmer are really first team players also?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

A couple missing from your list there Andy .... Macklin and young Ray Spear ... which make up the 16 (incl Stevens and Oastler) that Martin Ling talks about.

Like you say though, I think if he is going to bring 6 or 7 players in then ALL of them (with the exception of a back up goalie perhaps) should be senior pros/good enough to go straight into the side as otherwise the existing squad does have a bit of a "development" look about it with, of course, a few notable exceptions.

The way his (Ling's) recruitment drive shapes up over the next few weeks will almost certainly shape our season as we do look very light (in more ways than one! ... Billy being the exception!) in certain areas.

In reality though, assuming the budget is on a par with last season as has been mooted, there should be plenty of room to bring in some established players. When you think we have lost the likes of Bevan, Potter, Branston, Wroe and Benyon from the permanent staff without any of them being replaced (permanently) as yet I would imagine they were amongst our highest earners in the squad and so hopefully we would be able to offer decent packages to replace those five at least.
Last edited by CP Gull on 15 Jun 2011, 11:58, edited 2 times in total.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

[quote="AndyC"]Okay then, so based on his statement on the website, what are we looking at...he appears to want all 14 here at the end of last season to stay.

GK (2) - VACANT, VACANT

FB (4) - Mansell (for now), Nicholson, Rowe-Turner, VACANT

CB (4) - Ellis, Robertson, Palmer, VACANT

CM (4) - O'Kane, Oastler, Lathrope, VACANT

WING (4) - Stevens, Halpin, VACANT, VACANT

ST (4) - Kee, Zebroski, Yeoman, VACANT

quote]

You can't forget Macklin on the wing. Hes got real good pace and yet hes not been given much of a chance.

If im honest i cant see Palmer or Yeoman in there as one of the places. I would add two more Vacants there.

If he can add well, we will have a decent squad. Can see that Saah being a new centre back.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I've just put a link on the 'Zebs' thread to the BR forum. Someone on there thinks it is a done deal and that it will be announced on their OS later today ...
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Whoever he signs up I feel they need to have a certain degree of experience given the youthful nature of our squad, particularly an experienced centre back and central midfielder to help guide the players we already have, and obviously a couple of keepers, one experienced and one developing i would hope. It remains to be seen how many players he'll sign up permanently and how many loan signings he brings in. I personally would rather he brought in a few players on permanent contract to the club and then topped up the squad with a few loan signings. We were fortunate last year that PB was able to take advantage of the loan market and unearthed a couple of real gems. Hears hoping ML is as good in the transfer market this summer.

All in all i think we've got a decent core, but its youthful for the most part, so they'll need some players to learn from and guide them. Going to be another interesting few weeks.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

looks like ling keen on both to sign a new contract

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Talks ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
still keeping the faith
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Oastler - Yes

Not so nothered about Danny but he does get revenue from the younger supporters and can be useful from the bench so would not be a disaster if he does stay.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

With some decent training, Stevens could be a good player. He can certainly beat a player, could be worth a try on the right wing if he can be taught how to cross a ball.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

He's a winger - he should know how to cross a ball. He has ability (the most talented footballer at the club according to Dave Thomas...), but he is completely unable to affect a game (there have been exceptions, but they are few and far between). He comes off the bench, stands on the half-way line and simultaneously fails to get forward or help defensively.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

I know Fonda, I have seen him play too. With the ball at his feet and a defender or two in front of him, he can run at them very well. With some decent training and a bit of one on one training at the end of the day, he could be just as effective as Robinson.
Luke.

Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

such a frustrating player is our danny. he's one of those where you stand there watching, he gets the ball and everyone goes "go on dan...oh for f**k sake", and then he gets the ball again and everyone goes "go on dan...oh for f**k sake" and so it continues. and then, the blue moon appears, and he does something fantastic and leaves everyone asking "why doesn't he do that all the time". maybe with a bit more belief and confidence, if Martin Ling can find that in him, he may be worth one last chance. surely if he gets a new deal, he must know it's make or break. give him a payrise so he can afford steak, and build himself up a bit too. =D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Not his biggest fan, but there is a lot to be said for stability and familiarity in times of big change and upheavel on squad morale etc.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

At the end of the day, the manager doesn't know him. On the face of it, he's been good enough to be in our squad for 3(?) years. Why would the manager assume that assesment of him was wrong? Nobody on the board is going to express an opinion on his ability (it's not their job). So it's almost easier to offer him something and hope he proves worthy of it. It's lucky for Danny that the manager has changed, because i'd have been surprised if Bucks had have offered him a new deal.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

I really couldn't see Ling overhauling the current squad anyway. He won't really know the players that well if they haven't been playing, for all he knows, they are trying really hard on the training ground and on the verge of a first team place. He's got a big enough job of bringing in 6 or 7 first team players, I doubt he'd want to add more work to that. Summer 2012 might be a different situation, however.
Luke.

gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Apparently zebs had his medical at rovers today?
The gulls are going up