The real seedy, scummy side of football....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

The real seedy, scummy side of football....

Post by jocktheknife »

If anybody needed any further evidence of what a wretched game it has become......then the last couple of weeks provides it in abundance.

Bristol Rovers approach our manager just as we qualify for the play offs, they even have the nerve to interview him at their ground, obviously it doesn't take einstein to work out that the deal was done at the time......as was leaked quite successfully.
The fact that our season was far from over, the fact that the guy is under contract to a team going for promotion seems not to matter in the slightest.

The Rovers chairman (who has overseen a quite laughable capitulation to relegation this season) had the sheer audacity to state "we're hoping to make the announcement next week" - funnily enough just after our play off semi against Shrewsbury.......when we upset the odds to make it to the final, the announcement had to be changed to the likes of "Please be patient......and wait a few days more etc etc" - they must really think we're stupid.

Was it all the uncertainty that cost us the final? - who knows? It obviously didn't help, football at this level is all about the fine line between success and failure - it seems quite poignant that we lost to a side whose manager and side seemed "in it together".
Like the rest of you i spent hundreds of pounds to make it to Old Trafford on saturday, I also let down my cricket team in a crucial game to be there.......hearing that Bucks was breaking the news of his departure to the players just 24 hours later.........has left me feeling slightly cheated, certainly not a day I will remember with any kind of fondness, wish I hadn't bothered now. It's clear that win or lose he was off....anybody who believes otherwise is naive.

Buckle was the right appointment for us at the right time - the last 4 years have been probably the most enjoyable of my 30 odd as a supporter, he has done a fantastic job.......and for those 4 years I thank Paul Buckle - for the way he jeopardised our chance of promotion, I cant find it in me to wish him well, which is sad - but he has shown absolutely no class.....just selfishness and greed.

Paul Buckle and Bristol Rovers make good bedfellows indeed.
....aka jmgull.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Agree with all of youve said there. Any Manager with half a brain would of refused to of spoken to another club untill he's finished his job at the current club. Buckle needs to be brought down a peg or two. What he's forgetting is here there was no pressure the only thing we wanted was to still be a League Two club and settle in Mid Table at Rovers they EXPECT promotion. So he'll be under pressure from the start there.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Quality OP there Justin.

Some of the things relayed to me of late made me so angry, knowing what was going on at the most crucial stage in our season was leaving a real sour taste in my mouth.

I can't even say I blame Rovers, choosing my words carefully, it's well known in certain circles that a lot of clubs had applications drop throuigh their door of late from a certain ambitious man. Well, someone got their wish but being sceptical by nature, isn't it a dream partnership, Rovers and Buckle, both clearly ambitious, I do wonder if Buckle can match the clear ambition of the support at the Memorial. Will he be allowed the time he was down here to "learn from his mistakes". Will they put up with seeing so many players played out of position?

I just hope that the successor to Buckle is well-received by us Gulls in a way that so few ever did with Buckle.

Forward we go, tight times ahead and now we all need to pull together and get behind the club.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

jocktheknife wrote:If anybody needed any further evidence of what a wretched game it has become......then the last couple of weeks provides it in abundance.

Bristol Rovers approach our manager just as we qualify for the play offs, they even have the nerve to interview him at their ground, obviously it doesn't take einstein to work out that the deal was done at the time......as was leaked quite successfully.
The fact that our season was far from over, the fact that the guy is under contract to a team going for promotion seems not to matter in the slightest.

The Rovers chairman (who has overseen a quite laughable capitulation to relegation this season) had the sheer audacity to state "we're hoping to make the announcement next week" - funnily enough just after our play off semi against Shrewsbury.......when we upset the odds to make it to the final, the announcement had to be changed to the likes of "Please be patient......and wait a few days more etc etc" - they must really think we're stupid.

Was it all the uncertainty that cost us the final? - who knows? It obviously didn't help, football at this level is all about the fine line between success and failure - it seems quite poignant that we lost to a side whose manager and side seemed "in it together".
Like the rest of you i spent hundreds of pounds to make it to Old Trafford on saturday, I also let down my cricket team in a crucial game to be there.......hearing that Bucks was breaking the news of his departure to the players just 24 hours later.........has left me feeling slightly cheated, certainly not a day I will remember with any kind of fondness, wish I hadn't bothered now. It's clear that win or lose he was off....anybody who believes otherwise is naive.

Buckle was the right appointment for us at the right time - the last 4 years have been probably the most enjoyable of my 30 odd as a supporter, he has done a fantastic job.......and for those 4 years I thank Paul Buckle - for the way he jeopardised our chance of promotion, I cant find it in me to wish him well, which is sad - but he has shown absolutely no class.....just selfishness and greed.

Paul Buckle and Bristol Rovers make good bedfellows indeed.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Absolutely spot on. The man has acted like a snake this last fortnight. I hope the club are wringing every pound of compensation they can out of Bristol Rovers.

My only fear is that they will just be too nice, let him go and watch while he comes back to take our players for peanuts.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

What a great OP, and one that sums up everything that I felt in the lead-up to, and aftermath to the game.

Bristol Rovers have acted very poorly in this, and their approach was made at a really inappropriate point in our season. However, if he knew they wanted him that much, Buckle should've waited until the end of our season. As others have said, Buckle could have quashed, or at the very least, played down the rumours in the lead up to the game, but it was allowed to run and run. I don't think I've ever gone into a major game like that with such lingering doubts over the future of our staff and squad.

The uncertainty seemed to reflect onto the pitch, and ended up totally undermining all the work that had been put in to get there. I too, after travelling so many miles and spending out so much money to see one man seemingly put himself above our club, can't bring it in me to wish him well at Rovers. What I will say is it's been four fantastic years, and I thank him immensely for that.

Time to appoint a manager who already knows the club inside out, and will have the backing of the fans straight away. Time to step forward Harsh Caregivers...
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

It will be interesting to see how the Yellow Army react towards Buckle when we play Rovers this season........

I am in 2 minds, part of me appreciates where he has got Torquay over the past 4 years, considering he only had 4 players when he took over and he got us back into league football I would clap him, but the way he left the club I would boo him.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Awayday wrote:It will be interesting to see how the Yellow Army react towards Buckle when we play Rovers this season........

I am in 2 minds, part of me appreciates where he has got Torquay over the past 4 years, considering he only had 4 players when he took over and he got us back into league football I would clap him, but the way he left the club I would boo him.
Best thing to do would be to ignore him. Which, judging by his ego, would probably be the thing he would hate most.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

There is no doubt that the original post on this thread made some excellent points.

However, many of you are all coming across as if you believe that a club like Torquay would only ever play fair.

I think we should remember that when Buckle joined Torquay, he came along with all of Tisdales plans and essentially guzumped Exeter City by signing at least 4 players that Exeter had earmarked to build their team for Torquay. Some of those players joined the club within hours of Buckle jopining himself....sounds familiar?

The only reason it never made the headlines at the time were that Exeter City, in fairness, were far too proffessional as a club, altough at the time there was much anger to the point that Exeter City did actually retain Buckle's playing contract that essentially ended his playing career.

For this reason, I would like to point out that the board knew the type of charactor they were bringing in. At the time the club was in a true mess and perhaps needed to do that in order to survive, but I would not expect too many public moans from our board of directors, they have been there themselves before.

Having said all of this, and probably upset some by doing so, I respect our board and feel pretty confident that they willmake the right decision within their budget.
Last edited by MidDevon on 30 May 2011, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

He was brought in by Colin Lee, I wouldn't blame the Board for his morals nor Buckles.
Dave

MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

Fair point Southampton Goal, but Colin Lee was only part of the senior management , and you do not seem to be denying that Buckle did not behave in shall wesay a "sporting way" when first joining the club?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

No, i don't deny it at all. Like I said though, I don't blame our Club or Board for a new managers first few deals as I bet none of them knew the nature of them or who it was likely to upset. I'll wager Colin Lee knew though.
Dave

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

I personally don't think Bucklegate had any impact on the final, but I can understand why some feel that way. Only the players truly know whether the uncertainty of their manager's future affected their performance.

As for Rovers. They have their own interests to look after. They don't give a damn about our play-off campaign. Their chairman's job was to find a manager asap to prepare them for next season. They obviously identified Buckle and approached our board. Nothing wrong with that even if it is at a bad time for us. I'm disappointed with our board for actually allowing Buckle to talk to the Gas before the semi-final. They should have given Rovers the middle finger and told them to wait. Then I'm disappointed with Buckle for talking to another club and telling porkies to us all.

It's a real shame because he took us a long way and has left with a decent squad (assuming he doesn't tear it apart). I don't think anyone can knock his record. He actually boasts the best win % of any manager in the history of our club. I will never forget his role in regaining our Football League status and will applaud him when we play Rovers. That said, I can understand why other fans will give him a hard time.

Onwards and upwards (I have my doubts on the latter).
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I hope our board screw Bristol Rovers for every penny they can.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't B/Rovers say at the time we employed Ian Atkins (who was on gardening leave at the time) that the situation was illegal and "in the hands of their solicitors?" I ask that because at the time it smacked of total hypocrisy due to the fact that Rovers had obviously got Ian A working behind the wings when they where having a bad time in league two even though he was on gardening leave from Oxford.

I like others thank Buckle for what he's done but cannot wish him well due to the manner of his departure, totally unprofessional. Esp. in view of the way he took the piss out of supporters by saying things like "I'm happy here" after failing to secure the Colchester position & "I don't know what's happening" post match Saturday. The whole debacle (or debuckle sorry couldn't resist that) without doubt had an unsettling effect on the team. I bet Steve Woods can't believe the hypocrisy of the man!

But we move on! I really hope for an appointment that will pull the club and supporters together now because we sure as hell need it. If anyone does know anything please let me know because I'm still feel as depressed and conned now as I was at 5;15 Sat.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Well one thing's for sure is the Bristol Rovers v Torquay fixtures next season will have a bit of extra spice to them.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Boom Boom wrote:Well one thing's for sure is the Bristol Rovers v Torquay fixtures next season will have a bit of extra spice to them.
In fact there will be a few spicy ones next year:

Argyle
Crawley
Rovers

Lets hope we are in a position to compete.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/