Next season.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Well thanks for the Encyclopedia of Sims footballers, yes I meant Sills, as in Tim!
Kenty in Weardale
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Kenty in Weardale »

Taelee73 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 19:03 If there is decent funding available, then Downes, Sims aren't the answer. Too inexperienced as managers, no real success on the CV. If we have no money, then yes maybe.

Nicho is learning at Exeter and I can't really believe he'd come back.

Proven manager, but one that embraces new ideas, no idea who. But most definitely it needs to go out to external applications. Maybe the manager of Worthing, who play attractive attacking football?
Adam Hinshelwood was poached from us (Worthing) by York City a couple of months ago and we appointed Aarran Racine as interim manager while we wait to see which division we are in next season
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

samuel wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 17:13 Dave, I think you had an idea about this before I posted here on the 30th March. I am pleased that Osborne not losing a penny has been confirmed by the end of year accounts. That man was funded by the big building companies on the hope of some lucrative property deal. My source was correct in every aspect and at last threw light on the Byzantine business strategy of the malign Osborne which nobody could work out until then. He desreves no sympathy and no one should feel sorry for him, he doesn't care about the club, community or fans. He has not put any of his money in. A slimeball of epic proportions, a liar and unethical. Attempted to deploy Trojan Horse tactics amongst the fan base to create division. Some of whom I expect were either seriously misguided or actually paid or given favours to sow the seeds of discontent. True, the club may have gone under had not him and the big builders not stepped in, that I am grateful for. However, the club was in peril again, owned by a parasite that would eventually devour it's host.

Looking forward, hopefully we will have an owner that wants the club to thrive, engage with the fans, maximise all income generation opportunities and invest in the playing side. I am so much more optimistic after the Taunton result. Roll on 24/25.
I knew a lot about his previous methods at other sporting venues and to me it was obvious. I've taken a lot of stick over the years and threats from various quarters but nothing could or would ever stop me from posting my views on him and his MO. I would love nothing more than to see us rid of everything to do with him and his cohorts. I still worry that he'll find a way to keep his grubby mitts on the club in some way so I'm looking forward more than most to finding out who the successor will be.

I did defend you when your post was mocked by others. Sometimes the truth is hard for certain people to accept. It amazes me that all the vitriol and hatred was hurled at Gary Johnson while Osborne rarely got any at all, hence my staunch defence of a hamstrung manager. In the end he became the perfect fall guy for a shady 'owner'.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

This has to be the dawn of a new era now, if nothing changes -nothing changes, Downes is a very likeable guy but he isn't the answer going forward, we need a fresh approach,I'd like to think 4 or 5 players max will stay, the rest need to go, and I'm talking about the bigger names in the squad:Halstead,Stobbs, Marshall, Lapslie, Dawson, Jarvis,Collins and many more, It needs a clean slate and a new feel, in the dug out and on the field.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Dave - in response to your defence if GJ I do feel done blame must fall at his door, after all it was his squad, which he did his idiot brother scouted and recruited.

God knows what went on in training ……

I think there is a new model for football management to be know as the Johnson demise curve ……

Year 1 - improvement
Year 2 - success upward curve
Year 3 - reached high point and peaks
Year 4 - beginning of decline
Year 5 - decline continues and reaches rock bottom

This can be seen at the majority of clubs where GJ has been at.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think most people miss the point. It's not that I think he's blameless but more the hysterical anger directed at him that I found distasteful. I felt and still feel that anger should have been directed at Osborne.

I personally wasn't interested in results in the context that the whole future of the club was at stake. Johnson almost got our league status back but it's almost certain that we'd have soon lost it again with Osborne as an 'owner'. To me the most important thing was seeing him off and I hope we end up with an owner who wants to see our club thrive. Maybe then I'll be able to just go and enjoy watching a game of football again, it's been a while since I had enthusiasm for a sport I've loved my whole life apart from the last 6 years. The level of deceit and questionable ethics that have prevailed at TUFC has literally turned my stomach.
Dave

samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Thanks Dave. Yep, looks as if Johnson was given a rigid budget and that was it. No interest from the owner. As someone mentioned on BTPIR, explains why no increase on budget when we were 10 points ahead and beset by injuries, eventually ending up in the play offs. Unable to strengthen the side during that injury crisis we had.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I remember it well mate. The calibre of loans this season showed our true intentions but again it was Johnson who took the flak when in reality he had little choice but to take the meagre handouts on offer. I'd heard stories from other clubs about how unwilling we were to pay even small percentages of loanee wages and I found it hard to stomach the hatred directed at the manager instead of the 'owner'. I guess that put me at loggerheads with most of the users on here but so be it. All that aside I'll toast the removal of Osborne, Edwards and Hayman and welcome new owners as long as they have no connections with Osborne.

I've never been on Merse's site but if you want to send me the post you mention by copy/paste I'll gladly take a look.
Dave

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Interesting posts,

I really do hope the we’ve seen the last of GI international lock stock and barrel. I’m travelling down tomorrow for our final game, first since WSM away and could well be my last should our “preferred bidder” have absolutely anything to do with GI.

No doubt Johnson took some stick, some of it warranted some of it definitely not. At the end of the day he was fully aware of the business he was in and “stick” comes with the territory as much as the accolades that go with success. Has he ever walked from a job?I don’t know?

GJ often made reference to his book he intends to write, I am most definitely looking forward to the last few chapters.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

:goodpost:
Dave_Pougher wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 20:31 Interesting posts,

I really do hope the we’ve seen the last of GI international lock stock and barrel. I’m travelling down tomorrow for our final game, first since WSM away and could well be my last should our “preferred bidder” have absolutely anything to do with GI.

No doubt Johnson took some stick, some of it warranted some of it definitely not. At the end of the day he was fully aware of the business he was in and “stick” comes with the territory as much as the accolades that go with success. Has he ever walked from a job?I don’t know?

GJ often made reference to his book he intends to write, I am most definitely looking forward to the last few chapters.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I’d keep Hall, Moxey (both as CBs), Archer, Booth, Ash, Jarvis, potentially McGavin.

Think we’ll be lucky to see 2-3 of those!
The gulls are going up
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

If we go by the general consensus that contracts due to end this season end after the final game (ie today).

Add to that the transfer embargo and possibly the inability to re-engage with out of contract players anyway.

Then considering the fact that the administrators are in charge, and tasked with reducing every outgoing cost possible to ensuring the club remain solvent.

I think it is most likely that all players and staff out of contact after today will be released.

So the only players with us next season will be contracted, which I would guess is McGavin, Booth and Archer at the most.

Of course if an offer comes in (especially for McGavin like it did in January) then the administrators would be obliged to sell for sure.

I think the clean broom approach is more of a certainty rather than a preference we can debate
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well its all very quiet. All we know is Torquay United ladies lost 4-0 to Portishead - maybe Gary Johnson is managing them now
Presumably the players are all but one or two out of contract, not being paid and released or some told may be offered new terms in a week or two? Surely some have left already never to be seen again . Can't they even tell us that ?Anyone know ? Expect Merse does.......
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

desperado wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 15:40 Well its all very quiet. All we know is Torquay United ladies lost 4-0 to Portishead - maybe Gary Johnson is managing them now
Presumably the players are all but one or two out of contract, not being paid and released or some told may be offered new terms in a week or two? Surely some have left already never to be seen again . Can't they even tell us that ?Anyone know ? Expect Merse does.......
Contracts run until June.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

desperado wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 15:40 . Can't they even tell us that ?Anyone know ? Expect Merse does.......
Doubt Merse or anyone knows. I can assure you having been told by at least one senior pro, the players at this stage do not know. Until the club confirms new ownership and comes out of administration there won't be a retained list , until any new owners appoint a permanent new manager I would hazard a pretty accurate guess no one will be offered contracts.
Formerly known as forevertufc