Next season.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Next season.

Post by rivieratouch »

I tend to view far more than I post, but next season, assuming we are still in the NLS, who out of this squad do we realistically

1. Want to keep
2. Expect to leave
3. Still contracted to us
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Booth I assume signed a two year deal to go Pro.
I think Jarvis was in the second year of a deal?
The rest maybe had one year with the potential to have another.

Realistically, budget, the division, full time/part time, and the manager will be the all important factors. Seeing as we don't know any of them yet, who knows?

Moxey, I'd hope for his experience and few injuries this season.
Lovett, as you'd expect Halstead to move on.

The rest will be too expensive, too injury prone, a liability or too poor even for NLS if we're still here and can all go for me.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Who we would like and who we end up with will be very different fish.
Other than Booth , I think archer has another season, likeways mcgavin, although I do not see him staying.
For me with new owners, a new season approaching I would clean house totally of everyone connected with johnsons regime.
If we could I would start with Ryan Law from truro, he is available at the end of this season, he fits the bill of a fit, fast left back who loves running the wing plus he lives locally.
No matter which way we play it,we cannot have another season of leaking goals for fun, it is embarassing, if we do then no matter how many we score we will still be lurking around the bottom of the league.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Staying up is not guaranteed and more importantly there's the critical National League AGM in June

If we don't have a sale concluded and proof we can fund the season ahead we will be expelled from the league
MoxGull2502
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MoxGull2502 »

Archer the only one worth keeping in my opinion.
Maybe Lovett if we cannot get better.
The rest can escape TQ1 in the knowledge that they have succeeded in taking OUR once proud club to this.
On a positive has a loanee who joined in Feb ever been awarded the Player of the Year ?
AJB gets my vote as he has shown more passion, guts and commitment than most of the others.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

rivieratouch wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 17:55 I tend to view far more than I post, but next season, assuming we are still in the NLS, who out of this squad do we realistically

1. Want to keep
2. Expect to leave
3. Still contracted to us

Too soon to have this discussion really. We don't yet know who will be in control of the club for next season, and the only confirmed bidder that were aware of (who aren't the preferred bidders) started talking about the possibilty of requiring part time football for a while. While that prospect is anathema to me, I can certainly see the rationale.

My suspicion is that only Austen Booth has a contract for next season. I don't think we would be too upset if nobody else was offered a new contract, given results and performances. Obviously, with the ten point deduction we're not quite as bad as the table suggests, but regardless, we have been a terrible side in a desperate division mostly populated by semi-professionals.

Assuming a full time side, I'd probably keep Archer around (like every player it very much depends on their wage demands)

Halstead and Marshall can leave. Would allow Lovett to be first choice keeper - he's been solid when called upon and is presumably cheaper. I'd keep Tomlinson as I think he'd improve again. Collins and Stobbs should be too good for this division but haven't really shown it this season. Again...if cheap enough, fine. Ash is proven at this level, so - same.

Jarvis isn't staying. DOA can leave, he's perma-crocked. Hall and Moxey could be involved on the coaching/management side but it'd be moronic to expect them to play any more than 20 games each, so any contract would need to take that into account. Don't know if Dan Martin can be trusted to be fit but he's good enough. Dawson another whose fitness has been unreliable. And Finley Craske (forgot him). Lapslie I think will stay if he's offered any sort of liveable wage and honestly I'd probably keep him (esp. assuming our midfield will mostly be rebuild. McGavin I am torn on but I'm minded to let him go bc he's not suddenly going to find the mobility he lacks. Think I've accounted for 18 contracted players - that surely is all of them?

Loanees will return to clubs, probably to go out to NL clubs next season.

[Edit - I said "too soon to have this discussion, and then discussed it. At length. Lol]
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

No mention of a manager. I would have thought that comes second after ownership..
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

oldpedant wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 09:40 No mention of a manager. I would have thought that comes second after ownership..
question was about the playing squad.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Well now that the season is over (bar Saturday's dead rubber) we can look to next season and who the new potential owners and management team might keep or release.

There were rumours that McGavin was signed on a 3 year contract, which I think then means he is under contract next season, although we received an offer in January for him, so maybe we'll cash in given the chance.

I'd imagine that Booth and Archer would have been signed on contracts to the end of next season, so I'm guessing they will still be with us.

The rest I assume will be out of contract.

I tried to make 2 lists for Keep and Release, but ended up with everyone in the Release list :lol:

Ash - works hard up front albeit in vain but ultimately not good enough, constantly fluffing decent chances in front of goal
Jarvis - Good player for this level but always injured
Halstead - competent enough but not much presence in the box, we can do better given his high wage
Lovett - not good enough
Marshall - total liability and poor decision maker
Martin - sick note
Craske - too lightweight and error-prone
Thomas - might have potential, but currently not good enough
Hall - no doubting his impact, but too old and slow now
Tomlinson - Most of our goals conceded have come from him
Moxey - Great player, but just too old now
Lapslie - His harrying and energy are an asset, but as a footballer he's very limited
Dawson - who? oh that guy on a sizeable wage, who we've seen for only a handful of games this season
Stobbs - doesn't have the bottle or the intelligence to compete in this league
Collins - obviously talented but ultimately useless on the pitch
Ofori-Acheampong - not good enough for this level and too injury-prone

Do any of those make anyone's Keep list?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Think Lovett is good enough for this league.
Ash can score goals ( 36 in the last two seasons - how many do you want ? )and works hard, but ridiculous playing him on his own up front
He needs a strike partner
Despite people moaning about their legs Hall and Moxey have been excellent in the defence but probably a season too far next year.
Archer could be a big player for us next season as he learns the basics of the game.
Tomlinson will stay and improve.
Like to keep Jarvis but not going to happen.
Jenkins Davies may get another loan here ? he's not ready to move up a level yet.
markypoos77
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by markypoos77 »

In terms of new teams next season, do we have an idea yet of who this will be? Perhaps someone with better geographical knowledge can enlighten me!? Assume Dorking will come into the NLS but others already confirmed as relegated - Oxford and Kiddy go North?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its hardly ridiculous playing Ash up front if we had no other striking options. Its far early to make these sort of decisions until we know who the new owner is going to be etc etc.

As far as Jarvis is concerned his stock has probably fallen somewhat given that he has been out injured for almost all of the season. He probably wont get quite as much interest as he would have done had he gone at the end of last season.

Its pointless saying player x,y or z is a high age wage earner because we have no idea what are budget will be next season which will obviously be a factor in who stays or who goes.

I winced at the thought of Hall being employed as a centre half but in fact hes been pretty good in that position. Moxey has indeed been excellent over the past two months.

If we have a reasonable budget (or better) I think its unlikely that we will be getting rid of every player.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

desperado wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 12:27 Think Lovett is good enough for this league.
Ash can score goals ( 36 in the last two seasons - how many do you want ? )and works hard, but ridiculous playing him on his own up front
He needs a strike partner
Despite people moaning about their legs Hall and Moxey have been excellent in the defence but probably a season too far next year.
Archer could be a big player for us next season as he learns the basics of the game.
Tomlinson will stay and improve.
Like to keep Jarvis but not going to happen.
Jenkins Davies may get another loan here ? he's not ready to move up a level yet.
Agree about ash, he is a typical no 10 who cannot thrive without a big no 9, Moxey defo keep,who would have thought he was one of our top regular starters, his experience will be essential, Hall, keep him on a playercontract but have him as assistant coach under any new set up, we get two for one and will reduce costs. Mcgavin, arguably the most talented player in the squad but also the most frustrating,needs too much space and time to make things happen and when he is man marked its like playing with only 10. Tomlinson please no , the only thing he achieves each game is making the other defenders nervous, he has had two seasons to improve and hasn't. Craske if he recovers should get another season, Archer, yep every game improving, if he can focus that energy into footballing brain power he is going to be a good un, Dawson, yes, keep but only on a pay for play deal, Lapslie, keep for his energy but needs another larger version of himself in the middle to stop attacks,
Martin, acheampong, Marshall, tomlinson, stobbs,collins have not justified their salaries this season so they can go for me.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Think McGavin and Dawson have to go, all the other players stated to keep I agree with, and to let go as well, Craske if fully fit and with a good pre season will be an asset to the club next season.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Would also add that I'm not expecting anything remotely near promotion next season, I think we'll be a top half team, a steady campaign upper mid table finish..I still think the league is a lot stronger than other fans realise.