Potential Buyers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Mike Bateson existed in a different era when most of the Conference was part time and there wasn’t the professionalism that many of the smaller part time clubs have today. He still injected his own money, there was the prize money from being in the football league, transfer revenue as others have said as well as revenue from the odd cup run. Even then it was often hand to mouth with not a small amount of luck a long the way.

If there is no one waiting in the wings now who is prepared to dip into their own pocket to provide a minimum of £500k per year (and I’d expect it to be more) then there is zero choice in going part time - a clever accountant cannot magic cash from thin air. Any buyers will have to demonstrate they have a financial plan to keep the club solvent for the next year.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Your idea has already been shown to fail. By being prudent, by being proactive and by being professional there are plenty of examples to show staying professional is the way forward. We don't have the united fan base that other clubs do. Professional or wither away and die.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

It’s academic Dave - if neither of the bidders can prove they have the funds to financially support a business plan that allows for a full-time squad it cannot happen. They need the cash available and committed now and as seems apparent neither of the bidders have that additional £500k+ available. Neither the administrators overseeing the bidding process or the National League will accept bidders who don’t have a developed financing plan that ensures the club can remain solvent for at least 12 months ahead.
TUST_Official
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by TUST_Official »

There are plenty of clever people ready and willing to put in the hard work to raise the profile of the club but hey you've met the guy who wants to do it on the cheap and he seems, in your opinion, to be a clever chap and wants TUST involved. So that's all good then. If and when TUST can show they have enough support from the fans and have accrued the necessary finances to be useful then they aren't a viable option. For me they are nowhere near where they need to be, they're almost a mirror of other areas of the club that have been neglected. Random meaningless statements from barely recognisable people with a higher turnover of people than a failing Premiership football team don't inspire much confidence that they have what it takes to aid our return to League football. I'll support the club no matter what level we're at but if we have proper ambitions to return to the Football League then this proposed model isn't going to do it.]
Dave, we are sorry that you feel that our statements are meaningless. That is a shame as we always aim to be as informative and accurate as possible, based solely on fact. We have to challenge your assertion that there is a high turnover of TUST people. No one has left the TUST board for at least four years and the only additions in the past three years have been three members co-opted the day after Osborne's announcement to bring their experience to the table. Whilst none of the board are 'celebrities' with egos to match, most of us are known to supporters around Plainmoor and on social media. We are always happy to be approached in person or contacted via our email or website.

Finally, it is worth repeating that the TUST board members and our consortium would happily step aside and support a successful bid from someone who has greater financial capacity to take on the club as long as they have a sustainable plan for the future which includes engagement with fans and the wider community.
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm speaking from the perspective of decades as a fan not as recently as 4 years BUT aside from my concerns of whether TUST can take us forward as a club I am fully supportive of an organisation that truly represents the fans. What concerns me most is whether TUST can garner the trust of what has always been a hesitant support. I would love nothing more than to be wrong on this occasion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I dont doubt that Mr Westcott is a very smart chap. He came across well on Radio Devon thats more so than Mr Broderick who seems to say something different each time hes interviewed.

If there is no other option than part time football then yes there is little choice, but as has been said before the issue is with our location and the impossibility to attract any calibre of decent players. The attendances are remarkable at the moment given that the the team is terrible but these are exceptional circumstances due to the impending disaster of relegation.

Do you think that 2500 people would turn up to watch a defence of Calum Thomas, Ollie Tomlinson, Ed Palmer and Austin Booth next season. Believe when all hope and expectation disappears so will the crowd. Where are these decent players going to come from .Are they going to pop down from London and Bristol twice a week for training and then on a Saturday.

How do we just go part time for one season? if we are still in the division next year then we would most likely get relegated anyway - or if not we will be playing in front of smaller crowds.

Thats why I think if any other investor (if there are any) promises full time football then its going to be far more popular with the fanbase than the TUSTS bid.

Thats why its very difficult to get behind the TUSTS model when you dont know what else is on offer. It could well be academic anyway as it appears to be in Osbournes hands in any case.

Far from a bright yellow future it all appears to be dismal at the moment.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Totally agree Brucie, I think part time will be incredibly difficult and it should be the absolute last option, but judging on everything in the public arena at the moment it seems to be the only option as there is no white knight out there prepared to inject the necessary cash to maintain a full-time club. The best hope would seem to be to ensure a takeover happens before administration, preserve national league south football on a part time basis and hope to find a white knight down the line. I don’t see any prospect for a full time club without that external support.

What surprises me though is why anyone is surprised at this situation - it was fairly obvious this would be the outcome of Osborne walking away.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

brucie wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 11:07 I dont doubt that Mr Westcott is a very smart chap. He came across well on Radio Devon thats more so than Mr Broderick who seems to say something different each time hes interviewed.

If there is no other option than part time football then yes there is little choice, but as has been said before the issue is with our location and the impossibility to attract any calibre of decent players. The attendances are remarkable at the moment given that the the team is terrible but these are exceptional circumstances due to the impending disaster of relegation.

Do you think that 2500 people would turn up to watch a defence of Calum Thomas, Ollie Tomlinson, Ed Palmer and Austin Booth next season. Believe when all hope and expectation disappears so will the crowd. Where are these decent players going to come from .Are they going to pop down from London and Bristol twice a week for training and then on a Saturday.

How do we just go part time for one season? if we are still in the division next year then we would most likely get relegated anyway - or if not we will be playing in front of smaller crowds.

Thats why I think if any other investor (if there are any) promises full time football then its going to be far more popular with the fanbase than the TUSTS bid.

Thats why its very difficult to get behind the TUSTS model when you dont know what else is on offer. It could well be academic anyway as it appears to be in Osbournes hands in any case.

Far from a bright yellow future it all appears to be dismal at the moment.
You raise a number of inportant points, Osborne would look to get something out of the deal as all of us would do in a similar situation although there are suggestions but no confirmation in writing from the man himself that he is willing to walk away with nothing,
TUST are hoping to buy into an intial 50 per cent ownership with the rest held by a group of business people, are these investors looking for a return on their investment and in what shape or form will that take, are they going to take interest payments on their investments at commercial rates every year out of the club. TUST are talking about some form of informal bond issue in the region of 150K, they cannot issue shares in TUFC as they do not own anything at the moment, and they cannot wait until after the deal is done to wing it for the 150K, that could go horribly wrong, why are they not investing all of the 60K they have in the forever yellow fund at least that would show intent on their part. Additionally it is my understanding that 8 per cent of TUFC shares remain in private hands, if I am correct has anyone spoken to them for their views. so it wil not be a 50/50 deal unless some one in the consortium acquires those shares.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Firstly let's remember Nick Broderick and TUST are just like you and I supporters. They simply want what is best for the club. However, they find themselves in a position of huge responsibility, while finding themselves talking about things that could be above their knowledge levels (this is not meant as a slight). My concern and I don't believe we know yet is how many interested parties are there. They have 'hung their hat' on their bid, is that the best bid and should they represent us, the supporters in exploring all options.
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by wbw »

Interestingly, Mr Broderick tells the world that he is part of one consortium, despite having to have signed a confidentiality clause.
According to the local fish and chip holder, Mel Hayman leads another!!!! And tells us that there is a third.
Confidentiality my a**e.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

wbw wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 13:37 Interestingly, Mr Broderick tells the world that he is part of one consortium, despite having to have signed a confidentiality clause.
According to the local fish and chip holder, Mel Hayman leads another!!!! And tells us that there is a third.
Confidentiality my a**e.
Then I can't see the TUST bid being accepted.
https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... ek-9202414
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Regardless of what or how TUST and their partners go about things should they take over the club, the one thing we know with cast iron certainty, is that whatever they do it will be with the club’s best interests at heart.

Should a Hayman/Edwards/Masters type take it on, then we cannot be sure (and based on previous, it’s unlikely) that what they would do would be in the interests of the club.

Would they still be carrying on Uncle Clarke’s nefarious agenda and looking to move from Plainmoor? Hayman and Edwards were gleefully supporting Osborne’s assertion there would be a new stadium.

Masters has shown his colours in the past when muddying the waters previously and the mess he left Truro in.

We don’t want these charlatans anywhere near our club and if that means going part-time under TUST, I would take that any day of the week above the parasites that are currently involved in our club.
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by wbw »

TommyGunn wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 16:12 Then I can't see the TUST bid being accepted.
https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... ek-9202414
That's my gut feeling as well. Normally, bidders in this type of situation keep stum, as they are supposed to, having signed a confidentiality agreement. TUST are singing from the rooftops, totally unprofessionally. Trying to attract the sympathy vote? Put pressure on others? Who knows, but it's not normal behaviour.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

hector wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 17:09 Regardless of what or how TUST and their partners go about things should they take over the club, the one thing we know with cast iron certainty, is that whatever they do it will be with the club’s best interests at heart.

Should a Hayman/Edwards/Masters type take it on, then we cannot be sure (and based on previous, it’s unlikely) that what they would do would be in the interests of the club.

Would they still be carrying on Uncle Clarke’s nefarious agenda and looking to move from Plainmoor? Hayman and Edwards were gleefully supporting Osborne’s assertion there would be a new stadium.

Masters has shown his colours in the past when muddying the waters previously and the mess he left Truro in.

We don’t want these charlatans anywhere near our club and if that means going part-time under TUST, I would take that any day of the week above the parasites that are currently involved in our club.
While I do not disagree with your sentiments our personal prefernces count for little, It is who comes up with the dosh, has the best business plan and the chance of experienced professionals being involved, while the TUST may have our best interests at heart they do not have the experience to run a football club even with their experienced business partners, supporters do not equate to knowledge.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

And the before named have the experience and nouse to run the club,,,!!! Come on… you must be one of them culmstock - either that or you were a breach birth and have been totally perverse ever since…..