Will we stay up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

The past five performances have been admirable and credit is due to the management team and players.

However, the question has to be asked as to why it took until almost the end of the season for a competent team to be fielded? It was evident months ago that certain squad members weren't good enough for Sunday league football let alone the conference.

In addition, what happens when the five decent loan players return to their parent clubs and the proficient squad members are tempted elsewhere by higher-paid contracts? That would leave Torquay, with one or two notable exceptions, with the dross that was fielded for most of this season.

I guess this is, to a degree, speculation and a lot will depend on what league the club is playing in next season.

On a tangent, and I apologise for my lack of knowledge on the matter, if the ground is sold does Mr Osborne or Torbay Council receive the proceeds. If it's the latter I'm confused as to why the former has incurred a debt of, reportedly, £5 million when there is no chance of him recouping his investment.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 16:17 The past five performances have been admirable and credit is due to the management team and players.

However, the question has to be asked as to why it took until almost the end of the season for a competent team to be fielded? It was evident months ago that certain squad members weren't good enough for Sunday league football let alone the conference.

In addition, what happens when the five decent loan players return to their parent clubs and the proficient squad members are tempted elsewhere by higher-paid contracts? That would leave Torquay, with one or two notable exceptions, with the dross that was fielded for most of this season.

I guess this is, to a degree, speculation and a lot will depend on what league the club is playing in next season.

On a tangent, and I apologise for my lack of knowledge on the matter, if the ground is sold does Mr Osborne or Torbay Council receive the proceeds. If it's the latter I'm confused as to why the former has incurred a debt of, reportedly, £5 million when there is no chance of him recouping his investment.
I think there must be some agreement whereby the council will transfer/sell the ground to the club at mate’s rates if he can provide a new ground (on cheaper land). Osborne then builds on or sells the Plainmoor site making a tidy profit (used to repay some/all of the loans) and then holds the club to ransom by charging ever increasing rent for use of the new ground.

The bit I can’t work out is what understanding there may be with the council that makes Osborne think he will get Plainmoor for less than it’s true commercial market value, and how TUFC will ever be profitable enough to pay the rent on the new site… Unless the new site is then also turned to housing when the club folds in 3-5 years.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What a game and performance yesterday! Was buzzing at full time but almost immediately fell flat to see Aldershot had grabbed a late winner. We are still no nearer safety despite the win and, as we face two away games and a final home game against the champions elect, it looks increasingly like we will fall agonisingly short of survival.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 16:34 I think there must be some agreement whereby the council will transfer/sell the ground to the club at mate’s rates if he can provide a new ground (on cheaper land). Osborne then builds on or sells the Plainmoor site making a tidy profit (used to repay some/all of the loans) and then holds the club to ransom by charging ever increasing rent for use of the new ground.

The bit I can’t work out is what understanding there may be with the council that makes Osborne think he will get Plainmoor for less than it’s true commercial market value, and how TUFC will ever be profitable enough to pay the rent on the new site… Unless the new site is then also turned to housing when the club folds in 3-5 years.
Torquay held to random in a new ground somewhere
Westlands get Plainmoor
Osborne gets Westland’s current playing fields at Quinta, nice sea views for his houses
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

DerekDawkinsJnr wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 06:38 The bookies still have us as odds on for the drop, but now it's 11/10 on.

They see Aldershot as by far the best candidate for us to catch at 11/4.

Maidenhead are 6/1.
What site you looking at for relegation odds?
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 23:55 WTF are you on about?
I think it’s him saying his 1-1 bet has not materialised and is currently being tucked in bed by his mum
Lucy
Jafeica
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by Jafeica »

Betvictor betting on bottom 4
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

In summary:

Assuming there are no unlikely changes in goal difference:

If we get one win (3 points = 49) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot lose all 3 of their games.
or Maidenhead lose both of their games and we make a GD of 3.

If we get one win and a draw (4 points = 50) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only one point.
or one of York & Maidenhead lose both of their games.

If we get one win and a two draws (5 points = 51) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only two points.
or one of York & Maidenhead gain only one point. (or Maidenhead two points and we make up GD of 3).

If we get two wins (6 points = 52) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only three points.
or one of York & Maidenhead gain only two points. (or Maidenhead three points and we make up GD of 3).

If we get two wins and a draw (7 points = 53) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only four points.
or one of York & Maidenhead gain only three points. (or Maidenhead four points and we make up GD of 3).

If we get three wins (9 points = 55) we will stay up (as York have to play Aldershot).

My feeling is that we’ll need 7 points.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

standupsitdown wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 19:21 In summary:

Assuming there are no unlikely changes in goal difference:

If we get one win (3 points = 49) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot lose all 3 of their games.
or Maidenhead lose both of their games and we make a GD of 3.

If we get one win and a draw (4 points = 50) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only one point.
or one of York & Maidenhead lose both of their games.

If we get one win and a two draws (5 points = 51) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only two points.
or one of York & Maidenhead gain only one point. (or Maidenhead two points and we make up GD of 3).

If we get two wins (6 points = 52) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only three points.
or one of York & Maidenhead gain only two points. (or Maidenhead three points and we make up GD of 3).

If we get two wins and a draw (7 points = 53) we can only stay up if:
Aldershot gain only four points.
or one of York & Maidenhead gain only three points. (or Maidenhead four points and we make up GD of 3).

If we get three wins (9 points = 55) we will stay up (as York have to play Aldershot).

My feeling is that we’ll need 7 points.
I just can’t see Maidenhead picking up a win! But it’s a funny old game..
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Admiral wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 19:56 I just can’t see Maidenhead picking up a win! But it’s a funny old game..
I hope you are right about Maidenhead, if you are, our win there the other day will have proved to be absolutely priceless.

However, there is nothing funny about the game for me at the moment!

My emotions, which were just about permanently gloomy until a couple of weeks ago, are now yo yo-ing about like I don't know what. For a few hours after each of the wins it's been euphoria but that then subsides into a gloom as the next match looms on the horizon.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

It's so hard to predict, we can all speculate, Gateshead are in the Trophy Final, would they rest players Vs Maidenhead in their last game?, Nobody knows, what'll happen, I think after Tues something tells me the table will look more clearer, I also believe that Altrincham away will be tough than people think.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 18:58 I think it’s him saying his 1-1 bet has not materialised and is currently being tucked in bed by his mum
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 20:45 It's so hard to predict, we can all speculate, Gateshead are in the Trophy Final, would they rest players Vs Maidenhead in their last game?, Nobody knows, what'll happen, I think after Tues something tells me the table will look more clearer, I also believe that Altrincham away will be tough than people think.
I worry about Gateshead now they are safe.......
Alty, lets face it,cant defend either.... 2 up and lost 3-2 and have nothing to play for...
You'd hope it would be the same for them as Gateshead...........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

GilesATFC
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GilesATFC »

Really hope you stay up, christ knows you deserve it with the run of form you're on! Must be shit staring the possibility of conf south in the face again? how we've avoided it for the last 4 years is beyond me, if any club deserves to go down its us & replaced by Kings Lynn (but i hope its Maidenhead lol !)
Golgo
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Armani Little

Post by Golgo »

I’m crossing everything that Torquay win tomorrow, stay up and the Sh*ts finally go down….