Torquay v Maidstone. 28/02/23.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well we did not concede and we deserved to win what was a hotly contested game with the only quality coming from Jarvis with an excellent winning goal and some breath taking play from Dillon De Silva.

Tope Fadahunsi made some impact and provided the assist for the match winning goal in the 79th minute.

The last 7 Home League games have seen 3 wins, 3 draws and one defeat.2,308 fans including 165 away fans saw the game in perfect winter conditions.

The next 2 games at Woking on Tuesday and Home to Notts County next Saturday will show if our gradual improvement will be enough to avoid relegation.

February is crucial with 4 Home games during the month. COYY
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

We were better than them the whole game and I think Maidstone went into this game knowing that.

The tactic was to use their number 10 as the outlet pass to get him up the pitch and hit us on the counter, I think our defence dealt with them 9/10 times.

The attack wasn't coming together on the whole but when we brought the ball down to play we looked good, De Silva was just quality all game and deserved a goal for his troubles.

Tope had an okay game, probably getting used to how we play but provided the key assist for Jarvis to finish well.

1 goal and a clean sheet so I won't complain with the 3 points but could've and should've had a couple more goals.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

First half it looked as if both teams were sure bets for relegation but we improved in the second, passing and running with the ball rather than just long balls to be dealt with by Maidstone's enormous defenders.
Had to hang on at the end when Maidstone brought on six enormous attackers and sent their eight foot goalkeeper forward.
De Silva and Jarvis were the only two players on the pitch to show attacking skill but that made the difference in the end.
Good away support from Maidstone - although we'd probably take at least that number to them, but better than the fifty odd some clubs bring.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

A very poor game in terms of quality but today was just about 3 points so I’m not too fussed. It looks almost certain Maidstone will be 1 of the 4 that go down after today although their next 3 matches are Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Oldham. It’s going to be a big ask but realistically any points we can get out of Woking and Notts will a bonus.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Any news on Hall and Crole, and why they weren't in the matchday squad?. Big win today, as I mentioned a week or so ago, Jarvis could be key to staying up, I said it previously, I hold my hands up on Jarvis, I got in wrong, he could be massive for Gulls and staying up!
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 18:56 Any news on Hall and Crole, and why they weren't in the matchday squad?. Big win today, as I mentioned a week or so ago, Jarvis could be key to staying up, I said it previously, I hold my hands up on Jarvis, I got in wrong, he could be massive for Gulls and staying up!
I'd assume that Crole missed out as we had 5 loanees in the matchday squad.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

👍👍 makes sense
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Essential 3 points and a clean sheet - two on the bounce at home in the league.
Not pretty, but effective, a win grinded out, Don't care now if we play sh1t as long as we get the win. :nod:
Obviously t'internet has gone down this evening in Somerset.... :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

An essential three points today although we made hard work of it especially first half, we were nervous, more worried about not making mistakes, but second half we picked up, Evans is out of sorts, he is having the same trouble that little had for a period when he couldnt get a good cross in if his life depended on it, he plays far better when Hall is doing the donkey work, both teams had a lot to lose today and that makes the game very difficult, like the look of fadahunsi who is like a wrecking ball. We will have to do something rare for torquay and thats play for a full 90 minutes if we wish to get anything out of tuesday night.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

A scruffy 1-0 win and certainly needed. 2 awful sides that lacked any real quality or spark. A win is a win, but still fearful of the drop and today
has not convinced me otherwise unfortunately.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree about Evans , both he and Aguiar
buzz around and look very skilful but not a lot of end product, I would like to see them deliver a telling ball or get in the box attacking one of De Silvas inviting crosses instead of expecting the admirable Jarvis to always do it. It's only Hall who scores from midfield, we need another Little - 15 last season ?
We do miss Hall, I wouldn't play Evans and Aguiar both in centre mid in the next two games, they are/will be very good skilful players but too lightweight and not affecting the game enough to have both in there. Was slightly disappointed with Tope but it was his first game, so hopefully he will get better. Jarvis superb, fights like hell, holds it up and some don't think he can finish, 10 goals at halfway in a struggling side is not bad !
Don't think Cardiff will be happy with Crole not even on the bench, not to have a striker on the bench when available is odd
I didn't think he put himself about much when he came on v Taunton so maybe they are still getting him up to speed.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Shame to have no attacking options on the bench.
LikeaPatOutaHele
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LikeaPatOutaHele »

Firstly, Crole missed out because of the 5 loan rule and, based on his cameo as substitute against a tiring 10 man NL South team, he is no where near ready for this division.

Todays game.
A mediocre match played by two poor sides, of which Torquay were marginally the better just about deserving the win.

The most significant threat for Torquay, by a mile, came from Da Silva (my MOM) who was causing Maidstone nightmares down their left, beating their left back time and time again. A pity he was playing wing back which restricted him having to get involved, too often, in defensive duties.
Jarvis lead the line well on limited ball and looked the only likely scorer. Without these two, we are lost. There are no replacement options.

Alongside Jarvis, Fadahunsi had a quiet game, again with limited service. He did look strong and lively. There could be potential there and he did supply the ball to Jarvis for the goal.
At the back Moxey and Donnellan were solid. How Donnellan has grown through the season. A midfielder who is one a our better defenders.
Halstead too, was solid catching a string of crosses. Today his kicking was rather off but I will allow him a large degree of slack given his contribution in many games this season.
Lawrence did not impress, being continually beaten in the air, several times by the Maidstone number 10 who must have been about 6 inches shorter than him. He did improve a little as the game progressed. Lapslie, who ran his socks off, was seldom able to get forward in true box to box fashion, being limited by having to do the covering work for Evans (shows skill but has no end product) and Aguiar (a poorer version of Evans, adds nothing, lightweight, gives the balls away to easily). Aguiar may well have talent but he is not ready for a relegation battle and we don't need players learning on the job. Agree with a earlier comment, the combination of Evans and Aguiar is not viable.
The much critiscised Hanson did the job required when coming on as sub, probably making a more significant contribution in 15 minutes than Aguiar did in his 75.

Overall, the fact is we struggled to beat the side at the bottom of the division who have failed to win in their last 8 league games. Neither Goodwin nor Wearne have been replaced with equivalent standard players. I could add Ellis and Ness asd well. At present I doubt we are good enough to be competitve against any of the better teams. I fear for the season without Duke McKenna/Sinclair Armstrong level additions.
Please, let the Woking and Notts County games prove me wrong. I will be delighted to receive a torrent of abuse in a weeks time for my pathetic judgement.
Today, a win is a win. Perhaps this is a step nearer putting a significant run together. Perhaps the return of Hall, McGavin and Martin in the near future can balance the side to make real progress to survival. Perhaps!
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Good last summary. Crucial 3 points but what a disjointed performance. Having just signed a player from Maidstone we should have had a comprehensive game plan for dominating and winning the match; however, we persist with long hopeful balls in the air, long hopeful throws-in where we are outnumbered by 5 to 2, and we starved, De Silva, our most likely provider of scoring chances, of the ball, especially in the second half.
Very well -taken goal by Jarvis, who had to be grappled by 2 defenders for most of the match (so why didn't we play to feet?), but what a panicky amateurish final ten minutes when we had to keep the ball instead of hacking it anywhere and thus inviting Maidstone to come at us.
Play like that this coming week and we will suffer cricket scores against our already costly goal difference.
COYY, play some football instead of hopeful long punts, and throw more to feet to keep possession.