Retained List 2022/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

rivieratouch wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 20:02 He was a,20 y/o kid keeper ffs. Can't think of many that age starting in the Prem, especially keepers.
Try a bit harder and hound him out, or back him if selected.
I'm trying to get into this Halstead bashing, if he becomes first choice he deserves backing. However, I don't putting any stock whatsoever in him playing a few minutes in a premier league game as a young kid. There are lots of young keepers who show promise and make higher level appearances that ultimately never cut it - look at Matt Gregg and Dan Lavercombe.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I'm NOT trying to get into this Halstead bashing..
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

exilegull wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 08:20 I'm NOT trying to get into this Halstead bashing..
Freudian slip ;-)
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 14:45 Lets face it - none of the players that went on to "better things" last season pulled any trees up....
Ben Whitfield - In and out of the side and has had further injuries....
Cameron - Think Joe Lewis is better than him and he had a long run as CB with someone else. Didnt exactly cut it v Grimsby either.....
Nemane - Has hardly played for Notts.....
You're right about most here, but I do think that one has to give props to K Cameron. As a player he's fitted in well there as the Captain and has been one of their best players this season, based on my occasional viewing of their local rag online. He was missed when he was injured, much as he was in 2021 when his absence coincided with our form dipping. Of course, County missed out on playoffs/promotion and in that sense it's a failure for him and he's still stuck in the NL, though likely he wasn't fully fit for the Grimsby game.

I see County have been busy in the transfer market this summer already - so could be the main rival to Wrexham next term.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just to pick up on a few things across the thread. For a start I totally agree with the sentiment about getting behind our squad, including all players, some of our boo boys are pathetic really in the manner they seem to thrive on single out certain players, I remember Roscoe D'sane scoring a very important goal towards the end of 2009 season on our run in to the play-offs and eventual promotion, as he ran towards the cheering popside with his hand cupped over his ears, as if to say 'your not booing me now ' are you, but it's always been the same at TUFC no doubt always will be.

However there has to be room for honest criticism, so lets look at what Gary Johnson said; "I think the important thing is: stick with us because whether it is this year or next year, we have got some what we would class as marquee players coming in.”

Where's the misinterpretation, where's the need for anyone to be embarrassed, that's a pretty clear statement to which anyone which average comprehension, couldn't be blamed for believing GJ had one or two proven experienced players lined up, I would suggest someone of his experience in dealing with the media, and managing expectations should have chosen to use better wording if that's not what he meant.

Midsized national league club with crowds and budget to match, seriously do me a favour, are some of our fans really going to open the play book of excuse cards before we've even confirmed a single signing , for a start average attendances do not define budgets, budgets, spending power does not define finishing positions.

Southend finished lower in the national league table than Torquay, yet had a much higher average attendance that Wycombe who played in he League 1 play off final , Accrington Stanley finished 12th in League one with an average attendance barely 200 higher than our own.

We can look at Solihull Moors who I fancy to win the play off final, by far the best team I saw at Plainmoor last season, and probably the most consistent had an average gate of 1,800, Boreham Wood finished above us and played in the F.A Cup 5th round with an average gate of 1058 22nd of 23 in the National League, so it's not about what resources you do not have, it's about what you do with the resources you do have.

We are easily with in the top 8 clubs in this division, we should not be expecting promotion every season, but should be expecting a play-off place, anything less should be seen as failure not to be happy clapped.

The only disadvantage we have is location, Gary Johnson is right when he says players have to totally buy into the concept of Torquay United. therefore, I'd like to see us sign up a much smaller squad, and as a way of being more organised in terms of quality make more use of the loan market.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

‘Easily within the top eight’ . Not so sure about that Forever. …. Oldham, Scunthorpe, Wrexham, Notts County, Dagenham, Chesterfield, Southend, Halifax, Yeovil, York - all ten will need persuading of that. 0nly Barnet and Aldershot might feel that would be ambitious currently, let alone the constant interlopers with ambitions.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I take on board Dazza's post above. When you look at the size of a football club, you can consider it's history, support base, infrastructure amongst other things, from the list above I would say with all things considered , Scunthorpe, Oldham, Wrexham, Notts County , Chesterfield, Southend, including Grimsby if not promoted today are the only clubs in this Division who are genuinely bigger clubs than Torquay United.

Halifax, York, Dagenham, Yeovil, Barnet and Aldershot are more similar size, with Bromley, Boreham Wood, including Solihull Moors if not promoted today much smaller clubs but with a major location advantage, must also must be noted that the three clubs mentioned are very well run football clubs, who go above and beyond with less resources than we and many other clubs around the top half have.

However surely we have to look at how these clubs are today;

Scunthorpe, relegated out of the EFL in absolute turmoil, not sure what's going on at that football club, but unless something has changed, or does change in the next few weeks, they're not going to threaten the top 7, more likely to be found towards the bottom 7.

Oldham, relegated from the EFL due to mismanagement, more of an unknown quantity, but disputes between the fans and ownership continue, unlikely to threaten the top 7 but could.

Yeovil Town, Darren Sarl as we all know left them for Woking, this doesn't happen at a club with a good recent EFL history, if everything in the garden is rosy red, they don't appoint Chris Hargreaves a rookie manager come TV pundit if they have project promotion finances available, expect them to midtable, to lower table at best.

York, know little about them, rumoured to have decent backing, however been below NL for a while, might need at least a season to re-establish themselves.

Barnet and Aldershot as said, not serious contenders at the moment.

The only clubs I see that can be tagged as absolute shoe-ins for the top 7 are Wrexham, Notts County again if not promoted Grimsby, possibly Chesterfield.

Southend will be contenders, along with Halifax and Dagenham, Solihull will probably lose a lot of players if not promoted so who knows on them.

A professional football manager of Gary Johnson stature, does not agree to extent his contract and stay at TUFC, unless there is competitive backing on offer, so I repeat my message, TUFC is currently within the top 8 biggest clubs in this division, and nothing less than a play-off place should be acceptable next season.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Suspect we will be a comfortable mid-table team that will struggle to reach the playoffs (unless we capture a minimum of 8 decent players through permanent signings and season long loans). Given the disappointing intake last year I’m not sure there can be a case for too much optimism!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Wolborough wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 09:25 Suspect we will be a comfortable mid-table team that will struggle to reach the playoffs (unless we capture a minimum of 8 decent players through permanent signings and season long loans). Given the disappointing intake last year I’m not sure there can be a case for too much optimism!
I'm afraid this is my view too. Forever is right in saying that we should be able to compete for a place off place given the calibre of teams in this league, we are certainly on a par with the likes of Yeovil, Dagenham, York et al, but the recruitment issues last season are cause for concern particularly when considering the signings that came in after the season started; Addai, Moore and Felix all proved not fit for purpose.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Tricky one really in relation to where the club sits. I believe the new intake will be better than last year as I think approaches have been made on or before the end of last season. I’m sure GJ knew that certain players would be looking to leave and the contract offers were made as a last resort ?

The loan market could be key to this as we did get some good additions last year In my humble opinion.

What does disappoint me is the lack of loyalty of players nowadays, I recall the case of Angus Macdonald who signed a contract then left for good money, clearly helping the club at the time but nothing like that has been shown by Messrs CLE/Little and co

Let’s see what the next 4-6 weeks brings
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

bobbytanz1963 wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 18:20 Tricky one really in relation to where the club sits. I believe the new intake will be better than last year as I think approaches have been made on or before the end of last season. I’m sure GJ knew that certain players would be looking to leave and the contract offers were made as a last resort ?

The loan market could be key to this as we did get some good additions last year In my humble opinion.

What does disappoint me is the lack of loyalty of players nowadays, I recall the case of Angus Macdonald who signed a contract then left for good money, clearly helping the club at the time but nothing like that has been shown by Messrs CLE/Little and co

Let’s see what the next 4-6 weeks brings
CLE/Little and co may well be good players for our club, but probably realise they are not good enough to command a fee, if they were under contract to us. Much easier to move elsewhere if they are free agents.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I have never supported the line that players are being dishonest or underhand getting better wages somewhere else,the average career is less than 15 years would you not wish to protect your family in the only way possible, i.e. sell your talent to the highest bidder. It still remains with Torquay to say we will match and improve on anything you can prove you have been offered if they were that interested n keeping a particular talent but that has inherent problems in that it fuels excessive wages. So loyalty is a two way street.
As for any players we may acquire this summer the thought they couldnt be any worse than those of last year is setting the bar at a very low level, we effectively had a first team of twelve or thirteen, a handful if we were lucky of bench warmers who did not have the talent or experience to influence a game and a few that played southern league on loan. Johnson says we need strength in depth and a bigger squad and allegedly the board agrees, or is that another comment subject to re interpretation as in Marque players.
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Danny Wright has signed for Havant & Waterlooville:-

https://www.havantandwaterloovillefc.co ... ny-wright/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Griff1n wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 16:59 Danny Wright has signed for Havant & Waterlooville:-

https://www.havantandwaterloovillefc.co ... ny-wright/
Maybe it's a straight swap for Manny Duku who Havant released :O
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

bobbytanz1963 wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 18:20 What does disappoint me is the lack of loyalty of players nowadays, I recall the case of Angus Macdonald who signed a contract then left for good money, clearly helping the club at the time but nothing like that has been shown by Messrs CLE/Little and co
That lack of loyalty goes both ways, though. Clubs have no compunction in releasing players if they don't believe they're of value. If the club wanted or expected a return on players (through a transfer fee) then they could give 3 year contracts, but very few teams are doing that because of the risks. If Little had had a 3 year deal, we'd have been very concerned about that going into the recent season because he'd been crocked for 60% of that first season.

I'll never have an issue with players moving on for opportunities that they consider more appealing (either because of the money, or because of the 'project'), but is a correct way to move on. It's what Wright, MacDonald, CLE and now Armani (this afternoon) have done. It's not what Cameron did last season.

At least with Lewis we'll be due some compensation because he's under 24. I do wonder if that'll dissuade any clubs from coming in for him.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.